Any interest in Rocco Baldelli?

caulfield12

With the way Erstad has played, it's hard for me to say go after Baldelli, even though Crawford/Dukes/Young looks like the future outfield for that franchise for many years to come.

Before the season started, I would have thought he would be a great addition, but the price might be too high, especially as the White Sox would undoubtedly be asked to give up young pitching to get him.

Finally, Baldelli would further block Brian Anderson, who definitely deserves a chance to redeem himself this season...with seemingly 40% of the fanbase already giving up on him, the other 60% convinced Ozzie is out to destroy his career.

At any rate, the price for Baldelli is sinking. How many of you would do a Baldelli for Anderson and a second-tier prospect (#15-25 in the system)?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
At any rate, the price for Baldelli is sinking. How many of you would do a Baldelli for Anderson and a second-tier prospect (#15-25 in the system)?

When did Brian N. Anderson start pitching? They're not dealing Baldelli for anything less than a stud pitching prospect to start plus a piece.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
When did Brian N. Anderson start pitching? They're not dealing Baldelli for anything less than a stud pitching prospect to start plus a piece.

Why would anyone give up a stud pitching prospect for Baldelli when TB has no place to play him?

They will want to get something back in return, and I think the price will go downward as Dukes continues to impress.

Young, quality starting pitching will always be more valuable than power-challenged outfielders. They're crazy if they think we would give them Danks or Gio....Floyd or Broadway would be more likely.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
If they have no place to play Baldelli then why the hell would they want another outfielder in Anderson?

I don't know what it would cost the Sox to get him, or whether or not that cost would be worth it. But I sure would love to have Baldelli on the Sox roster in place of Podsednik.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't know what it would cost the Sox to get him, or whether or not that cost would be worth it. But I sure would love to have Baldelli on the Sox roster in place of Podsednik.

I'd prefer Timo Perez to Podsednik

Dukes looks good early yes, but he's still a major work in progress mental wise. Wouldn't suprise me to see him blow up if things aren't going his way.

They've got plenty of IF and OF spects in the system, so they don't have a need for Anderson, even though he would be a good fit for them.

What they do need in a big way is quality young pitching. I'd actually offer Broadway to them since I don't think he'll be much more than a 4th/5th starter and see what the D-Rays would actually give up for him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
If they have no place to play Baldelli then why the hell would they want another outfielder in Anderson?

Because they want to save money and Anderson is much cheaper.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Baldelli costs Gio and Broadway (give or take)

no, the last thing the Sox can really afford to trade right now is pitching if they're not getting pitching back in return.

If we give up Gio and Broadway in one trade, we better get the equivalent of Carl Crawford, not Rocco Baldelli.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)

Here's why, they don't want to pay a "bench" player this type of money.

2007: $750,000, 2008: $2.25 million, 2009: $6 million club option w/$4 million buyout, 2010: $8 million club option, 2011: $9 million club option, 2012: Free Agent

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)

If we give up Gio and Broadway in one trade, we better get the equivalent of Carl Crawford, not Rocco Baldelli.

It's not like that contract is a big hindrance to them though. Rocco's only going to make 600K this season and he can make up to 2.5M in incentives.

At this stage of their careers Rocco's a much better player than BA anyway, so unless they're getting a real good pitching spect in the deal, there's not much point in Andrew Friedman pulling the trigger.

EDIT: You're also speculating that Elijah Dukes becomes the fulltime CF I assume by saying that Baldelli is a bench player. I don't see that happening.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)

Here's why, they don't want to pay a "bench" player this type of money.

2007: $750,000, 2008: $2.25 million, 2009: $6 million club option w/$4 million buyout, 2010: $8 million club option, 2011: $9 million club option, 2012: Free Agent

You're seriously overrating some Sox players and underrating some insanely talented Tampa players. And when did they name that psychopath Dukes their starting CF? He's probably the 1 baseball player most likely to go all OJ on someone's ass in the coming years.

Just because they supposedly (I'm not buying it) have no place for Rocco doesn't mean they're going to just sell him off for garbage like Anderson and Rogowski (and yes that is garbage considering what they could get from basically any other team).

Gio Gonzalez and Broadway for Crawford? Didn't they turn down a Santana/Figgins deal just last season? I know Santana was involved in the deal with another player but they wanted Woods included in the deal instead.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)
You're seriously overrating some Sox players and underrating some insanely talented Tampa players. And when did they name that psychopath Dukes their starting CF? He's probably the 1 baseball player most likely to go all OJ on someone's ass in the coming years.

Just because they supposedly (I'm not buying it) have no place for Rocco doesn't mean they're going to just sell him off for garbage like Anderson and Rogowski (and yes that is garbage considering what they could get from basically any other team).

Gio Gonzalez and Broadway for Crawford? Didn't they turn down a Santana/Figgins deal just last season? I know Santana was involved in the deal with another player but they wanted Woods included in the deal instead.

Dukes is playing because Baldelli has a strained hamstring that they're trying to protect.

If anything, they'll try to spin Dukes' hot start into something just to be rid of the headaches while getting something of value in return.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
Dukes is playing because Baldelli has a strained hamstring that they're trying to protect.

If anything, they'll try to spin Dukes' hot start into something just to be rid of the headaches while getting something of value in return.

Baldelli is injury-prone.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:44 PM)

Brandon Wood is the best SS prospect in the game today, in the minds of many scouts. They'll trade Erick Aybar, but I don't think they will part so easily with Wood.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)

Dukes is the scariest mother f***er in baseball. Seriously, his teammates are afraid of him. (Fathom needs to chime in here.) Tampa will get rid of him the first time they get a reasonable offer.

They'd much rather deal with an injury prone outfielder than one that physically threatens his teammates on a regular basis.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)

Brandon Wood is the best SS prospect in the game today, in the minds of many scouts. They'll trade Erick Aybar, but I don't think they will part so easily with Wood.

They won't trade Woods but that's not the point. The point is they were offered Ervin Santana + Figgins/Aybar I don't remember who exactly and they turned it down. Why the hell would they take Anderson and a meh prospect when they could have had a very good young pitcher in Santana and another excellent major league piece?

Baldelli might be oft injured but he's still only 25, has a very affordable contract and has that damn comparison to Joe D. In other words, if they choose to trade him they're going to get a valuable piece to add to their rotation.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
Dukes is the scariest mother f***er in baseball. Seriously, his teammates are afraid of him. (Fathom needs to chime in here.) Tampa will get rid of him the first time they get a reasonable offer.

They'd much rather deal with an injury prone outfielder than one that physically threatens his teammates on a regular basis.

Plus the whole Sean Tracey incident in AAA, Dukes is a crazy son of a b****.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
They won't trade Woods but that's not the point. The point is they were offered Ervin Santana + Figgins/Aybar I don't remember who exactly and they turned it down. Why the hell would they take Anderson and a meh prospect when they could have had a very good young pitcher in Santana and another excellent major league piece?

Baldelli might be oft injured but he's still only 25, has a very affordable contract and has all the same tools as Joe D. In other words, if they choose to trade him they're going to get a valuable piece to add to their rotation.

Plus the whole Sean Tracey incident in AAA, Dukes is a crazy son of a b****.

What happened with Sean Tracey?

The Rays actually have a good amount of good SP both and the milb and mlb level

Kazmir + Shields(solid 3/4) with more room to improve

Jacob McGee, Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis

and then you figure they'll prolly grab LHP David Price as the first pick, thats a pretty stacked Rotation.

It appears they've got their closer of the future in Juan Salas and if Orvella can put it together again like '05, he'll be a decent set up man. I'm going to be very interested in how they approach the draft this year itd be nice to see them take good College BP arms, because that appears to be their future weakness.

If i was in the Rays FO, as soon as Cantu puts together anything solid at AAA ship him off for anything, and with regards to Baldelli id be looking for 3/4 SP and two good up and coming BP arm.

Their future looks bright

OF - Crawford, Dukes, Young

MI - Reid Brignac, Upton

CI - Evan Longoria, Akinori Iwamura

C - Dioner Navarro

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:27 AM)
The Rays actually have a good amount of good SP both and the milb and mlb level

Kazmir + Shields(solid 3/4) with more room to improve

Jacob McGee, Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis

and then you figure they'll prolly grab LHP David Price as the first pick, thats a pretty stacked Rotation.

It appears they've got their closer of the future in Juan Salas and if Orvella can put it together again like '05, he'll be a decent set up man. I'm going to be very interested in how they approach the draft this year itd be nice to see them take good College BP arms, because that appears to be their future weakness.

If i was in the Rays FO, as soon as Cantu puts together anything solid at AAA ship him off for anything, and with regards to Baldelli id be looking for 3/4 SP and two good up and coming BP arm.

Their future looks bright

OF - Crawford, Dukes, Young

MI - Reid Brignac, Upton

CI - Evan Longoria, Akinori Iwamura

C - Dioner Navarro

Looks like they finally found a position for Upton at 2B.

I wonder if KW would take a run at Cantu to replace Iguchi? Tadahito will be 33, but Cantu's not the type of middle infielder you want with a young pitching staff.

That organization has had bad luck with Gomes and Cantu looking like future stars one year and then practically falling off the map the next.

But both of those guys are going to be heavily scouted for possible acquisitions.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
Why would anyone give up a stud pitching prospect for Baldelli when TB has no place to play him?

They will want to get something back in return, and I think the price will go downward as Dukes continues to impress.

Young, quality starting pitching will always be more valuable than power-challenged outfielders. They're crazy if they think we would give them Danks or Gio....Floyd or Broadway would be more likely.

This is ridiculous. If Baldelli was on the market, he could command a lot more than Anderson. And right now, Baldelli's hamstring is falling off, so they do have a place for him, as the DH. Jonny Gomes isnt going to be around for long. Why in the hell would they want Anderson and someone like Wes Whisler? Read my sig.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)

Brandon Wood has been moved to 3rd base.

If we could get Baldelli, for the right price, I'd be all over that. BUT, it would also depend on his health, and if he is finally healed. Also, I doubt the Devil Rays would accept a fair offer, their GM is a mad man, and always asks for way too much for his players... See Danys Baez and Aubrey Huff.

But I did see Erick Aybar mentioned here, and I have been a big supporter for trading for him. He has great speed, great range, and has a canon arm. Plus, he can hit and is a switch hitter. And right now there is a bit of a logjam for them...

They have Kendrick at 2B, that's set. And it looks like they are planning on Brandon Wood to be their 3B. Now that leaves Cabrera and Aybar. Their decision will be, do we trade Aybar and keep Cabrera and sign him to an extension, or do we trade Cabrera after this year, and plug in Aybar?