Any interest in Rocco Baldelli?

caulfield12

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
This is ridiculous. If Baldelli was on the market, he could command a lot more than Anderson. And right now, Baldelli's hamstring is falling off, so they do have a place for him, as the DH. Jonny Gomes isnt going to be around for long. Why in the hell would they want Anderson and someone like Wes Whisler? Read my sig.

Why is Baldelli worth that much, if he can't play CF and steal 25-30 bases?

I think some people love him just because he's Italian and his name reminds them of DiMaggio.

As a DH, he would be in the bottom third of AL DH's. Sure, an upgrade from Travis Lee, but no Travis Hafner.

They would want Anderson for the same reason half the Sox fans want Anderson to start in CF, with Erstad in LF.

Do you really think KW would give up Gio AND Broadway for Baldelli? (I'm not even sure he would trade those two for Crawford). Where would he play in the White Sox OF? Is he really that much better than Erstad or Anderson, except for stretches of one or two seasons?

You put Baldelli in there as the starter and bench Pods (with Erstad in LF), you're not getting any improvement at the leadoff position. He would definitely be a better defender, but he would have to prove he's healthy first.

His lifetime OBP is .329. Pods is at .342.

I think there's plenty of argument to be made that Anderson will hit 15-18 homers per season with around 75 RBI's. The only area where he's lacking is he probably will never be a 20-30 steals type of player.

And I think most Sox fans would be happy with a .260 average, not Baldelli's "normal" .280-.300 range.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
If we could get Baldelli, for the right price, I'd be all over that. BUT, it would also depend on his health, and if he is finally healed. Also, I doubt the Devil Rays would accept a fair offer, their GM is a mad man, and always asks for way too much for his players... See Danys Baez and Aubrey Huff.

But I did see Erick Aybar mentioned here, and I have been a big supporter for trading for him. He has great speed, great range, and has a canon arm. Plus, he can hit and is a switch hitter. And right now there is a bit of a logjam for them...

They have Kendrick at 2B, that's set. And it looks like they are planning on Brandon Wood to be their 3B. Now that leaves Cabrera and Aybar. Their decision will be, do we trade Aybar and keep Cabrera and sign him to an extension, or do we trade Cabrera after this year, and plug in Aybar?

They signed Hillenbrand, blocking Kendry Morales. They also have to figure out what to do with Kotchmann and McPherson, as they could have gotten a legit middle-of-the-order hitter last year or the year before, had they been willing to deal two of those three prospects. Now all three of those guys have fallen to a abyss above Brian Anderson and under Lastings Milledge in the prospect pecking order.

If Wood's at 3B, they don't have a place for Figgins either.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
Well if we lose Dye we should be already investing in replacements. I just don't know.

It was hard for me not to compare the White Sox OF with Crisp, Ramirez and Drew yesterday.

Odds are, Fields stays at 3B, so we need to get younger and more athletic at that position. I'm not sure Erstad even lasts beyond this year (does he have a limited no-trade clause?) if the White Sox aren't in contention. OTOH, Ozzie Guillen really seems enamored with him, he's kind of taking Rowand's place as the "resident grinder."

With Owens, Sweeney, Anderson, Baldelli and Ozuna, you have some talent, but where does the power come from? It's too bad we can't "morph" them into players that are complete packages and just not spare pieces. Baldelli would seem to be the best player of those I just listed, although Sweeney MIGHT get there someday...and Anderson has many similarities to Baldelli, except for the stolen bases (if he cuts down his strikeouts).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
I think some people love him just because he's Italian and his name reminds them of DiMaggio.

They would want Anderson for the same reason half the Sox fans want Anderson to start in CF, with Erstad in LF.

Do you really think KW would give up Gio AND Broadway for Baldelli? (I'm not even sure he would trade those two for Crawford). Where would he play in the White Sox OF? Is he really that much better than Erstad or Anderson, except for stretches of one or two seasons?

You put Baldelli in there as the starter and bench Pods (with Erstad in LF), you're not getting any improvement at the leadoff position. He would definitely be a better defender, but he would have to prove he's healthy first.

His lifetime OBP is .329. Pods is at .342.

Sorry man. I understand that you are trying to make some sort of a point here, but I couldnt hold off much longer.

They dont want Anderson, they have a clearly superior talent and player already in CF, his name is Elijah Dukes and will be 10x the player BA will ever be.

Secondly, I would easily make that move for Crawford. Broadway will MAYBE be a 5th starter someday, Gio is a talent but an injury risk, Crawford is a rare talent and would easily payoff.

Stats are stats. But you need to look at them a little better than you have been. Rocco's OBP as a lead off hitter is .366. He hasnt spent that much time (44games) in that slot, but has proven to be very effective when healthy. PODS is clearly on the decline and will not produce at that level, especially in the range of his career number when he was actually a speedy leadoff hitter who could get on base.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
God, I still wish the Sox can resign Crede, move Fields to LF, have Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF in a number of years. That'd be best case.

Then we'd need to find a bonifide leadoff hitter at either SS or 2B, since no one on the team would be a good leadoff hitter if that was the case. And please don't say Iguchi, he'd be a horrible leadoff hitter, IMO.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:33 AM)
Then we'd need to find a bonifide leadoff hitter at either SS or 2B, since no one on the team would be a good leadoff hitter if that was the case. And please don't say Iguchi, he'd be a horrible leadoff hitter, IMO.

Erick Aybar.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
God, I still wish the Sox can resign Crede, move Fields to LF, have Anderson in CF and Sweeney in RF in a number of years. That'd be best case.

Who would lead off? We would need to shop for a middle infielder who could get on base at that point, because our OF would be a little power, some good contact, but not much for getting on base.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
Erick Aybar.

its not like going to Jewel and picking up what you want. How the hell would we get a talent like Aybar?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Baldelli costs Gio and Broadway (give or take)

no, the last thing the Sox can really afford to trade right now is pitching if they're not getting pitching back in return.

That deal is done if it is only one of Broadway or Gio and a lower pitching prospect. Baldelli, Erstad, and Dye this year, and Baldelli, Fields, and Anderson next year? I like it.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
Um....that probably would not happen for another couple of years, and you can't honestly expect the entire team to stay intact.

We've gone at least a year without a leadoff hitter already as well.

I'd rather get rid of a couple of those larger contracts and buy ourselves a good FA leadoff hitter. Im ok with injecting Fields and maybe Sweeney if we can make a larger splash on the FA market.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
But then how would we get him if Crede is staying? And Aybar probably isn't ready-enough to be a good leadoff hitter.

I know. But I can dream can't I? I love the numbers that kid has put up, and he could well be ready to be leading off before the end of this year.

But Stonemann almost never gives up on any of his prospects for anything, so who knows. Actually...if we do wind up in total rebuilding mode this year, the Angels should fit on the "potential trading partner" list along with the Dodgers and the Mets...they probably will be in a position where they could use either a starter or a good right handed DH type bat (Buehrle or Dye).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
I'd rather get rid of a couple of those larger contracts and buy ourselves a good FA leadoff hitter. Im ok with injecting Fields and maybe Sweeney if we can make a larger splash on the FA market.

I really see us acquiring a leadoff hitter at 2B/SS in the next couple of years, most likely at 2B.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)

I think Sweeney'll have a better career than Fields right from the beginning. Fields swing is long.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
I really see us acquiring a leadoff hitter at 2B/SS in the next couple of years, most likely at 2B.

I know this is going to sound like a broken record. But I really wouldnt mind seriously going after Ichiro for RF and lead off. He is getting older and losing some of his hitting and running, but I really would enjoy that OF.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
I know this is going to sound like a broken record. But I really wouldnt mind seriously going after Ichiro for RF and lead off. He is getting older and losing some of his hitting and running, but I really would enjoy that OF.

Mmhmm. I concur.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)

Jimmy Rollins via trade. Omar Vizquel or Luis Castillo, that's it in terms for FA's, or Eckstein (from middle infielders)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
I think Sweeney'll have a better career than Fields right from the beginning. Fields swing is long.

I think they will end up being totally different players. I think both will be very successful however.

If Dye has an 06-esque season, I'd like to say he'd be re-signed, but I would doubt it, because if he does hit again like he did in 06, teams would probably offer him a 5 year contract worth close to 70-75 million, and that is too much for a guy of Dye's age.

But if Dye just has a mediocre year, I think there would be a good chance of us bringing him back for 3 years at like 20 million, something similar (probably more money though) to his original contract with the Sox. Also, if the sox have Fields at 3B, and dump Pods, I could see Dye being moved to LF, and Sweeney being called up and play RF.

I think we will also see Contreras or Garland traded, and with Buehrle likely gone, IMO, we would have freed up about 20-25 million without them on the team anymore.

And I don't think Crede will be returning either, and I think he will be traded for indeed MI help. So him leaving could free up 5 million or so, or whatever he is getting paid now. And he would be replaced by Fields.

I'd like to say Iguchi will be re-signed, but for some reason, I don't think he will return. BUT, the Japanese player I want signed would be Ichiro.

So. lets looks at who might not be wearing black and white next year...

Dye, Iguchi, Crede, Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Podsednik, Anderson, Uribe, am I missing anyone?

If Fields improves even more this year and continues (from what I saw) playing good defense at 3B, I have no issues with dealing Crede for MI help and possibly a lead off hitter candidate.

Problem is, I see the whitesox org thinking a few strange things:

1. They are playing Sweeney in CF for AAA, this makes me think thats where they want him

2. Someone still thinks Jerry Owens may be our lead off hitter of the future

3. If Sweeney is being groomed for CF, BA must be out with Owens playing LF and whoever in RF.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
Baldelli might be oft injured but he's still only 25, has a very affordable contract and has all the same tools as Joe D. In other words, if they choose to trade him they're going to get a valuable piece to add to their rotation.

Plus the whole Sean Tracey incident in AAA, Dukes is a crazy son of a b****.

did you really just compare baldelli's tools to joey D? wow

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
did you really just compare baldelli's tools to joey D? wow

actually, this is a common comparrison. Not only do they look alike and are both from Italian decent, they both play a similar type of game. Of course Baldelli is no where near the talent of Dimaggio, but there are similarities in their play.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
actually, this is a common comparrison. Not only do they look alike and are both from Italian decent, they both play a similar type of game. Of course Baldelli is no where near the talent of Dimaggio, but there are similarities in their play.

once you get past the same position, same ethnic descent thing i really dont see a whole lot of similarities. i didn't realize baldelli has the power to hit 46 homers in a season or the ability to hit .382 for a whole year. maybe im missing something? :huh