Poor media.........Boo-Hoo!

Soxfest

There are TVs in the press room so the media probably is watching it

more and more on TV as well being up so high.

They'll get used to it.

It's a sign of the times like with colleges ripping out press row and putting

big time donors right on the court.

That's going to blow up in the colleges' faces, however, when one of those

fan donors attacks a ref or opposing player.

It's going to happen someday. I think a fan taking a poke at an opposing

player more likely than popping a ref.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
That still doesn't explain why writers at U.S. Cellular should have the worst view in the majors becuase they don't work in coal mines.

Its because they are getting in free, why shouldnt they get the worse seats? From where they are sitting they can still see the game and they no doubt have TV's in there and they are still allowed to see/interview the players afterwards, what more do they need?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Its because they are getting in free, why shouldnt they get the worse seats? From where they are sitting they can still see the game and they no doubt have TV's in there and they are still allowed to see/interview the players afterwards, what more do they need?

The point is that they (the White Sox) are the only team to do this, though they probably won't be the last ... selling out the baseballl writers for a few bucks.

Maybe the team should start selling beer for $15 each so they can re-sign Dye.

And I still fail to see what any of this has to do with coal mining.

A little bit of note on that... The Sox are the first team in MLB to do this, but not the first sports franchise. This has happened a lot more in the NBA, and there is no such thing as a close press box in the NHL or NFL. The big difference is the press row is more of a permanent fixture in a baseball stadium versus the NHL and NBA who tend to share arenas meaning their areas tend to be more temporary anyway. Trust me, this will be the norm in 5 years.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
The point is that they (the White Sox) are the only team to do this, though they probably won't be the last ... selling out the baseballl writers for a few bucks.

Maybe the team should start selling beer for $15 each so they can re-sign Dye.

And I still fail to see what any of this has to do with coal mining.

Last I checked, fans are already paying way more than they used to for the exact same thing. In other words, 4 seats, four meals and 4 drinks are a lot more than they were 10,, 20, 30 years ago.

Press seats have been and probably will always be free. So, I see nothing wrong with moving them down the line. They are still free, they are still warm and I thought the food was free too, but that may have changed since I worked Bulls and 'Hawks games.

So again, I say...if you are up in arms, stay at home.

EDIT: Plus, the press already has "picked sides" as to who is for and who is against the White Sox, Reinsdorf, Williams and Guillen, I don't think this will change anything.

Edited by CanOfCorn

It makes me laugh whenever I hear a sportswriter grouse about how hard it is to do his or her job.

I think war correspondents have it a little rougher. As I once heard someone admonish a sportswriter, "Hey, Ernie Pyle got stories out of Anzio, don't tell me how rough you have it."

If writers find it too difficult to get their stories done in the new press box, maybe they should find another job.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 04:49 PM)
Last I checked, fans are already paying way more than they used to for the exact same thing. In other words, 4 seats, four meals and 4 drinks are a lot more than they were 10,, 20, 30 years ago.

Press seats have been and probably will always be free. So, I see nothing wrong with moving them down the line. They are still free, they are still warm and I thought the food was free too, but that may have changed since I worked Bulls and 'Hawks games.

So again, I say...if you are up in arms, stay at home.

EDIT: Plus, the press already has "picked sides" as to who is for and who is against the White Sox, Reinsdorf, Williams and Guillen, I don't think this will change anything.

Baseball and the media work symbiotically, for better or worse. Do you not think that the organization gets anything in return for these "free seats?"

Are there writers that show up just to go? Probably, but the beat writers have a job to do, day-in, day-out (and that includes, obviously, visiting media. what a great way to represent the city). I think reducing things to "free seats" is a terrible argument. Writers are there to write. They don't charge me $15 to walk in the door at my job, I don't see why baseball would, either. And if they made some changes at my office that made it more difficult to do my job (and against what every other business in that industry was doing), I'd probably complain, too.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Baseball and the media work symbiotically, for better or worse. Do you not think that the organization gets anything in return for these "free seats?"

Are there writers that show up just to go? Probably, but the beat writers have a job to do, day-in, day-out (and that includes, obviously, visiting media. what a great way to represent the city). I think reducing things to "free seats" is a terrible argument. Writers are there to write. They don't charge me $15 to walk in the door at my job, I don't see why baseball would, either. And if they made some changes at my office that made it more difficult to do my job (and against what every other business in that industry was doing), I'd probably complain, too.

Let's see, the media still gets the media guides, the notes for each day's game, full access to the players before and after each game, an enclosed, heated area to work from (with full internet access), etc., etc. The one thing that's changed? Instead of having a fabulous view of the game, they now have a very good view.

If the collective media starts downgrading the Sox because their vantage point in the ballpark is changed, then those men and women have some serious growing up to do.

QUOTE(FLsouthsider @ Apr 9, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)

The comparison you make to your job is way off. You are more comparable to the players or vendors who work at the stadium. A better comparison for these writers would be somebody who goes to your office, watches you from a cushy spot, and then pisses all over you in an article the next morning.

Edited by Milkman delivers