So much for sore arm, Verlander just hit 100

caulfield12

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 07:22 PM)
So much for the "last years workload, including the playoffs, will effect his arm" theory.

Jose and Buehrle both started out hot last year and fizzled towards the end.

But no matter what Detroit does, we shouldnt' be just counting on them to be worse.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)

But no matter what Detroit does, we shouldnt' be just counting on them to be worse.

Unfortunately, many people seem to have adopted this view that the Tigers' pitching staff is due for a substantial dropoff because everyone pitched above expectations; both statistically and concerning innings pitched. Ignoring the fact Bonderman and Verlander are both 24, Maroth actually appeared to have turned himself around prior to injury, and a little pitcher named Andrew Miller awaiting in the minor leagues.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
Unfortunately, many people seem to have adopted this view that the Tigers' pitching staff is due for a substantial dropoff because everyone pitched above expectations; both statistically and concerning innings pitched. Ignoring the fact Bonderman and Verlander are both 24, Maroth actually appeared to have turned himself around prior to injury, and a little pitcher named Andrew Miller awaiting in the minor leagues.

The Royals are going to be tough if they can get outings like this by DeLaRosa. He's never had good control, but he shut down the Tigers most of the game and Riske (yes, that Riske) got the save pretty effortlessly.

Magglio looks bad at the plate and especially in the field (looks like he has some kind of health isssue), and Sheffield appears, to me at least, to be a little overweight.

It's a little different with Jose Mesa or Ledezma in the game, compared to the usual middle relief the Tigers put out there last year. I think they will miss Jamie Walker a lot. I-Rod actually led off.

The Royals' fifth starter is Brandon Duckworth, but they're going with ace Gil Meche against Maroth tomorrow afternoon. I think they really wanted Brian Bannister to take the job, but he was shelled in ST. Elarton is coming back from injury and should be ready fairly soon.

Even though they're 2-2, the pitching for the Royals has kept them close in every game except for the second game of the Red Sox series.

OTOH, Alex Gordon is REALLY struggling so far out of the gate. But it's ONLY four games.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)

I do see the Tigers pitching having a substantial dropoff - just not Verlander or Bonderman. Robertson, Maroth, and Miner all pitched out of their friggin minds last year, and Kenny Rogers is 43 and out till July. Hell, how is that not a substantial dropoff in itself?

Beyond that, I've said all offseason that I really think the offense is going to struggle a bit this year due to their lack of patience at the plate. Nobody on their roster - other than Sheffield or Guillen - really walk much at all anymore, and no one other than those two hit for a particularly high average (though they have a couple of guys who hit around .300 in Magglio, Polanco, IRod, and Casey). I just don't like that offense at all.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
The Royals are going to be tough if they can get outings like this by DeLaRosa. He's never had good control, but he shut down the Tigers most of the game and Riske (yes, that Riske) got the save pretty effortlessly.

Magglio looks bad at the plate and especially in the field (looks like he has some kind of health isssue), and Sheffield appears, to me at least, to be a little overweight.

It's a little different with Jose Mesa or Ledezma in the game, compared to the usual middle relief the Tigers put out there last year. I think they will miss Jamie Walker a lot. I-Rod actually led off.

The Royals' fifth starter is Brandon Duckworth, but they're going with ace Gil Meche against Maroth tomorrow afternoon. I think they really wanted Brian Bannister to take the job, but he was shelled in ST. Elarton is coming back from injury and should be ready fairly soon.

Even though they're 2-2, the pitching for the Royals has kept them close in every game except for the second game of the Red Sox series.

OTOH, Alex Gordon is REALLY struggling so far out of the gate. But it's ONLY four games.

Don't say that. Just because someone happens to pitch at the top of a rotation, it doesn't make that person an ace. Gil Meche is all the proof you'll ever need to prove that. He's their #1 pitcher, but there's no way in hell that he's an ace.

Sorry, just a pet peeve. No offense to you at all, caulfield.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Don't say that. Just because someone happens to pitch at the top of a rotation, it doesn't make that person an ace. Gil Meche is all the proof you'll ever need to prove that. He's their #1 pitcher, but there's no way in hell that he's an ace.

Sorry, just a pet peeve. No offense to you at all, caulfield.

Hey, that's what the Royals' staff calls him. They want to take the pressure off Greinke with Meche and Odalis Perez.

He's always had "ace" stuff (see AJ Burnett or Josh Beckett), but he's probably accomplished the least of those three guys, and he's gone through a lot of health issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if he won 15 games though. We'll see how he fares against the Tigers tomorrow. When you lock up with Schilling and don't blink, that's definitely a positive sign. He was seen as more of a 3/4 guy in Seattle, but he always had the ability to be a much better pitcher than that.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
on the radar gun, and it's freezing out, literally...in Kansas City.

His fastball is averaging 98-99, and those are legit numbers, because Jorge DeLaRosa of the Royals is exactly where he normally is, in the lower 90's.

I expect him to breakdown, but Justin does have pretty smooth mechanics. He uses his height and weight and strong lower body to keep the pressure off his arm and he was looking filthy out there tonight. For some reason I ended up watching a lot of the Royals game and wow he's secondary stuff looked even better (great location on it) and his fastball was moving all over the place. Having that type of life on upper 90 MPH fastballs should be illegal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)

I don't think the Sox should worry about anyone but yourselves. You have to do your thing, you can't look over your shoulders or worry about other people. You want to be the best, than you play like the best and forget about everyone else. If the Sox do that I'm not going to be concerned at all because I know they have talent on this 25 man roster but the club is playing in a division where every team sans one has a lot of talent and that other team (The Royals) are a bit better simply because Meche and Grienke are better than anyone they were trotting out last year) and Dejesus/Gordon/Sweeney/Teahen are all more than solid hitters (well Gordon has a bit to prove and Teahen has to show his second half wasn't just a flash in the pan).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
I expect him to breakdown, but Justin does have pretty smooth mechanics. He uses his height and weight and strong lower body to keep the pressure off his arm and he was looking filthy out there tonight. For some reason I ended up watching a lot of the Royals game and wow he's secondary stuff looked even better (great location on it) and his fastball was moving all over the place. Having that type of life on upper 90 MPH fastballs should be illegal.

Gosh, I could have swore that I heard this exact same stuff about a pitcher wearing blue in about 2002-2003.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:15 AM)
Gosh, I could have swore that I heard this exact same stuff about a pitcher wearing blue in about 2002-2003.

Prior was 94-96 and smooth with the fastball, but not consistently in the upper 90's and even to 100.

I can't think of many starters in this rarefied air, besides Nolan Ryan. I guess Colon can get close, when healthy, and sustain it, even picking it up a notch or two in the late innings. Jenks, when he was a minor league starter, although I think 94-97 was more like it.

The tigers have the same target on their backs [from other AL teams, as they were the ALCS winner, who want to knock off the top team] that the sox did last year. Even the cellar dwelling teams like KC and TB will get up for them. If the pitching does drop off a bit--which it should--the offense was never particularly strong. And the defense was poor. I'm still looking at the Twins and Indians to battle with the sox, and the tigers for 4th place.