Gio Gonzalez has no hitter throught 5 innings

caulfield12

with nine strikeouts.

I know it's a non-major league Sox player, but just thought everyone would like to know.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...cmcaax_biraax_1

you can follow it by clicking on the link

They pulled Gio after 5, Vasquez kept it alive through the sixth inning...still a no-hitter

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
I'm guessing his pitch count was up there. 9k's too, pretty sick. Vazquez threw a scoreless six so the no no is intact.

Eek -- Vasquez just bombed in that second inning. He's given up a couple of runs... Oneli is in now.

Kudus to Gio. You think he's on a (relative) fast-track this year? I'd imagine he should be at Charlotte by (or right around) the All-Star break...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 08:52 PM)
Eek -- Vazquez just bombed in that second inning. He's given up a couple of runs... Oneli is in now.

Kudus to Gio. You think he's on a (relative) fast-track this year? I'd imagine he should be at Charlotte by (or right around) the All-Star break...

Phillips is just filler, although some project him as a better Josh Stewart.

KW likes Gio and Russell the most, and I think the competition in AA is sometimes actually a better test of a pitcher than AAA...KW won't be afraid to jump a pitcher from that level directly to the bigs, if it's warranted.

You don't imagine Haeger, Broadway, Floyd or Phillips are going anywhere, but there is a spot in Charlotte as the fifth starter IMO.

KW's not in any rush, and sometimes it's better for a pitcher to get his confidence in the much bigger Barons stadium instead of pitching in Charlotte.

I think of Phillips, Haeger, Broadway, and Floyd, the only two that are probably safe to still be in the White Sox organization by the end of the season are Broadway and Floyd, IMO. I think both Phillips and Haeger will be used as trade bait.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
I think of Phillips, Haeger, Broadway, and Floyd, the only two that are probably safe to still be in the White Sox organization by the end of the season are Broadway and Floyd, IMO. I think both Phillips and Haeger will be used as trade bait.

Phillips is out of options, and at least put up quality numbers last year. He should be moved for something @ trade deadline time, or at the very worst moved over the winter. I hate just losing people as FA like we did with Tracey because we don't have room.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
Phillips is out of options, and at least put up quality numbers last year. He should be moved for something @ trade deadline time, or at the very worst moved over the winter. I hate just losing people as FA like we did with Tracey because we don't have room.

I still feel the effects of losing Fabio... there was no reason why he shouldn't have been put on the 40, IMO.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
I still feel the effects of losing Fabio... there was no reason why he shouldn't have been put on the 40, IMO.

We could have used Castro last year, but I sincerely doubt he would have been ahead of Sisco in the minds of KW and the organization, because he's not a hard thrower...and at least we know that other organizations have found some quality arms from our organization.

Usually, the pitchers we deal turn out like Bajenaru or Joe Valentine.

Every now and then, there's a Bradford, Francisco, Majewski, Fogg...even Rauch has done fairly well as a reliever.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)

are they trading for a 6th inning reliever?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
with nine strikeouts.

I know it's a non-major league Sox player, but just thought everyone would like to know.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...cmcaax_biraax_1

you can follow it by clicking on the link

They pulled Gio after 5, Vasquez kept it alive through the sixth inning...still a no-hitter

Good going there, jinxer.

:crying

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)

The club is trying to move him, but there just aren't many takers at this point and imo, if you don't get any value you might as well hold him as a potential throw in in a trade deadline deal (if the club is buyers).

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
Good going there, jinxer.

:crying

That rule only applies if you're at the park or near the pitcher, or broadcasting the game.

At any rate, there was no way they were going to let him go 9 innings the first week of the season. Only Dusty Baker would contemplate something like that.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
That rule only applies if you're at the park or near the pitcher, or broadcasting the game.

At any rate, there was no way they were going to let him go 9 innings the first week of the season. Only Dusty Baker would contemplate something like that.

You do realize the green = sarcasm... right?

:D :cheers

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:35 AM)
You do realize the green = sarcasm... right?

:D :cheers

Once again, I'm used to the "teal police" at WSI and it's going to take a few months before it all sinks in, lol.

Seriously, over there, there are so many teal/green comments that it becomes a game, because lots of posters, when something is VERY obvious (to them), will leave out teal or green...so you can never really tell when anyone is being serious, unless you know the posters and their styles really well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)
Very positive start by Gio.

He'll LOVVVVVE pitching in the nice wide confines down at B-Ham compared to where he was last season. He certainly won't be giving up as many HR's.

I wonder if the White Sox would be better off having AA and AAA stadiums more like USCF in terms of how they play and the weather conditions. That would give KW a better idea about "projectability" of pitchers like McCarthy.

Charlotte is a pretty small stadium, some call it a bandbox. So I guess that's good.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 6, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
You guys mushed Gio

mushed means jinxed and it was a joke. I know they took him out after the fifth but the pen didnt hold his no/no. Since it was just a joke and not sarcasm I wasnt sure what color to make it. Any ideas?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
From everything I've read of Phillips, he's a reliever or 6th starter in the majors. I think he'll probably make it at some point, but he's just not a great option.

The problem with the reliever idea is he doesn't have a great arm, and he's behind Logan, Day, probably Malone and Reynoso (due to experience)...plus you have Sisco and Thornton.

He just doesn't fit in this organization, not unlike Tracey. We can sell him to a Japanese team or add him in a second/third tier prospect in a bigger trade.