Chris Young does something good (while not on the sox, f'in kenny)

caulfield12

Chris Young hit a pair of homers for the second time in 12 games when he took Astros starter Chris Sampson deep for two solo homers on Friday.

Young also doubled in the contest, but was later picked off second base. The center fielder is still batting just .250 and has a mediocre 17 runs and 17 RBI, but he's been a quality contributor with six homers and four steals. He's likely to post counting stats at a similar rate for the rest of the season.

Rangercal?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta love Young's sub .300 obp. Apparently he forgot how to take walks. In May he is hitting .289 and still only has an obp of .300. His power numbers are nice, but I'm not worried about losing him yet. Vazquez is having a solid year so far and pitching is way harder to get (especially starting pitching) than power hitters who don't walk and strikeout 100+ times per year. Also, his situational splits (RISP, close and late) are awful.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
Young has been a big disappointment this year

He's a rookie who is slugging .475 and playing a strong CF. His OPS+ is 96, pretty much league average. He's going to struggle this year, but "struggle" for him is going to be a .250/.325/.460 year at the plate.

than power hitters who don't walk

He does walk -- 120 ABs doesn't change that.

You can paint the picture how you want to. I'll say it's very hard to find CFers who play above average defense who hit for power and get on base at a good rate. This guy is going to hit like a corner OFer while playing CF. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he becomes a slightly worse or 'lightened' (because he's not going to match his defense) version of Andruw Jones.

Edited by CWSGuy406

He still has talent, but his current numbers aren't making me regret the deal yet. It's not like Vazquez hasn't had value with this team so Young has to be a solid player for a while for me to say we screwed up. It might take less than that, but all I'm saying is to date we still have received more value out of that trade and until that changes (which it very well could) I'm not going to worry.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
I see Chris Young putting up similar numbers to Mike Cameron at his best. Nothing wrong with that, but not studly.

That is correct, and if Javy keeps pitching as well as he had and should, this trade won't be one we regret.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
That is correct, and if Javy keeps pitching as well as he had and should, this trade won't be one we regret.

I dunno entirely about that, and here's why.

The White Sox 1 big need coming into next season is some additional cheap, successful, producing young talent. We're a $110 million team right now, and if we want to keep this exact team together as-is next season, we'd have to be a $130 million team. Add in about another $8 mil for Buehrle, raises for Crede, Uribe, Thome, God knows how big of a raise Dye gets, and even more to hold onto Iguchi, and just to hold as-is right now, we'd add a ton of payroll. And that leaves us no room to upgrade, say, our LF/Leadoff spot or anything like that.

The White Sox really, desperately need a couple young guys to insert into the lineup next season. Just 1 won't do it, it has to be on the order of 2-3 guys. One of those young pitchers will probably step into the rotation, possibly 2 depending on what the Sox do with Garland, but that's still not going to give us any room to upgrade. So, what do we really, really need? We need 2 of our 3 top prospects to produce well in the field next season, so that we can afford to fill other holes. If we could, for example, get Anderson and Sweeney both to produce, along with another young pitcher in addition to Danks, then that could give us room to resign Uribe, Iguchi, and to make a serious run at someone to fill our other OF slot.

But that doesn't work if we only get 1 decent producing field prospect. If that happens, we're pretty much going to wind up stuck with Erstad as a $6 million option because we don't have any better choice. If Anderson continues struggling and Dye walks, then we lose a lot of salary flexibility and really have no other option than Erstad. If we had Young, we would have another young OF option ready and waiting, which could have freed up salary this season and beyond.

Long story short; for me to be happy about this deal, we need Anderson and Sweeney both succeeding for the Sox next year. End of story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 13, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
I dunno entirely about that, and here's why.

The White Sox 1 big need coming into next season is some additional cheap, successful, producing young talent. We're a $110 million team right now, and if we want to keep this exact team together as-is next season, we'd have to be a $130 million team. Add in about another $8 mil for Buehrle, raises for Crede, Uribe, Thome, God knows how big of a raise Dye gets, and even more to hold onto Iguchi, and just to hold as-is right now, we'd add a ton of payroll. And that leaves us no room to upgrade, say, our LF/Leadoff spot or anything like that.

The White Sox really, desperately need a couple young guys to insert into the lineup next season. Just 1 won't do it, it has to be on the order of 2-3 guys. One of those young pitchers will probably step into the rotation, possibly 2 depending on what the Sox do with Garland, but that's still not going to give us any room to upgrade. So, what do we really, really need? We need 2 of our 3 top prospects to produce well in the field next season, so that we can afford to fill other holes. If we could, for example, get Anderson and Sweeney both to produce, along with another young pitcher in addition to Danks, then that could give us room to resign Uribe, Iguchi, and to make a serious run at someone to fill our other OF slot.

But that doesn't work if we only get 1 decent producing field prospect. If that happens, we're pretty much going to wind up stuck with Erstad as a $6 million option because we don't have any better choice. If Anderson continues struggling and Dye walks, then we lose a lot of salary flexibility and really have no other option than Erstad. If we had Young, we would have another young OF option ready and waiting, which could have freed up salary this season and beyond.

Long story short; for me to be happy about this deal, we need Anderson and Sweeney both succeeding for the Sox next year. End of story.

The problem is that it's highly unlikely that Anderson is an .800 or even .700 OPS player next year.

Perhaps that second or third prospect will be Josh Fields in LF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:33 AM)
The problem is that it's highly unlikely that Anderson is an .800 or even .700 OPS player next year.

Perhaps that second or third prospect will be Josh Fields in LF.

I think it'd just be absolutely outrageous if this team couldn't turn Brian Anderson into a >.700 OPS player next year given how much time and effort they've put into him as a first round draft pick, how he's performed in the minors, and how much simple athletic talent he has. If the team can't turn him into at least a decent player, then the White Sox really don't deserve to be a playoff team. At some point, unless you're the Yankees, you have to draft and develop players.

CY has been on a tear lately. Unfortunately for us after he singled and stole 2nd he hurt his leg. Of all the young guys it looks like CY has broken out of the "Kevin Seitzer" slump first. He came in with this bold idea of changing all of our young hitting stars successful swings and making them hit prodomently opposite field hitters. It is amazing that we are 3 games over .500 when today was the first time we had a 5 run inning all year and that CY is the 3rd best hitter on our active roster now.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 20, 2007 -> 06:43 AM)
Yeah, Young is up to .268/.307/.465. It's apparently okay, though, because we got an ace in return for him...

That trade was a turning point in this organization's future....and I've said it from the day it was rumored.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 20, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
That trade was a turning point in this organization's future....and I've said it from the day it was rumored.

Yeah, "ignore the farm, we want that World Series charm" became official that day. I wouldn't regret that trade if our outfield wasn't so bad, but it is and I do. Young has really heated up lately.

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Sweeney > Young

not a chance in hell, and you are about the only one that will agree with that claim

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 12, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
I see Chris Young putting up similar numbers to Mike Cameron at his best. Nothing wrong with that, but not studly.

First of all, Mike Cameron has been a 20-30 guy 3 times, a 30-20 guy once, and a 20-20 player once; that's all while stealing bases at a 78.6% clip. Mike Cameron IS a stud, and he always has been; he's just not a .300 hitter or a superstar. Add to it that he's also a great CFer and has a cannon for an arm, and he's really one of the more underrated players in the majors.

Secondly, I've read places where Chris Young has been compared to better players. Andruw Jones comes to mind immediately, as Keith has pointed out, and I've also seen Eric Davis. He won't be as good as them, unless his contact rate miraculously improves overnight, but he has a higher ceiling than Mike Cameron at his best, and that's really saying something.

If Vazquez is a big part of a WS run this year or next, I dont regret the trade. Chris Young and Gio were both my favorite prospects so I was extremely pissed when it happened. But atleast we got one of them back and who knows maybe Brian Anderson or Cunningham will work out and be our future CF anyways.