Is Contreras Done?

shoota

Contreras was injured in the second half of last season, likely for longer than his 15-day disabled list stay. Last season I suspected he was given a cortisone shot, although it went unreported if he'd received one. Contreras's Opening Day performance (Guillen should have had Buehrle start; another bad Guillen decision) was pitiful and makes one question if he's still less than 100%.

I ask the question if his career as an effective pitcher is over in part because of injury concerns and performance, and in part because of his superannuated age.

Edited by shoota

I dunno. Tune in this week for this and other exciting revelations on "As the Sox Turn"!

EDIT: Also, why should Buehrle have been the Opening Day starter? I'm not saying I necessarily disagree, I just think you should justify such a bold statement.

Edited by Wedge

I was one of the few who thought re-signing Contreras was a mistake. I realize it's easy to bring it up now, after that disastrous first start, but if you think about it, the extension was based on a great 2nd half of '05 and 1st half of '06. Other than those two half-seasons, Contreras hasn't done much at all in the majors. I obviously hope I'm wrong on this, but I think we may see some more brief stretches of greatness, but never again will we see the consistency that he showed at the end of '05 and early last year. I do think he's done, and I wish the money we gave him (and Vazquez) was used to extend Buerhle and Garland instead.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
I dunno. Tune in this week for this and other exciting revelations on "As the Sox Turn"!

EDIT: Also, why should Buehrle have been the Opening Day starter? I'm not saying I necessarily disagree, I just think you should justify such a bold statement.

Because I'm assuming Buehrle would have given up less than 8 runs in 1+ innings. :unsure:

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)
I was one of the few who thought re-signing Contreras was a mistake. I realize it's easy to bring it up now, after that disastrous first start, but if you think about it, the extension was based on a great 2nd half of '05 and 1st half of '06. Other than those two half-seasons, Contreras hasn't done much at all in the majors. I obviously hope I'm wrong on this, but I think we may see some more brief stretches of greatness, but never again will we see the consistency that he showed at the end of '05 and early last year. I do think he's done, and I wish the money we gave him (and Vazquez) was used to extend Buerhle and Garland instead.

i think alot of people forget that contreras was great in his first season with the yankees

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5373

people only seem to remember the next year when boston lit him up time and time again which forced steinbrenner to want to rid himself of the cuban when he was then traded to the white sox halfway thru that second season. take out the 2004 season and he has actually had a solid career up to this point

48-28 4.37 ERA career numbers

however, that still doesnt answer the question if he is done or not because i think only he knows the answer to that question and maybe guys like coop and ozzie have a good idea too

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:26 AM)

That's a really good point. I would gladly exchange the arms/health/careers of Contreras and Garcia for the 2005 World Series Victory. We can always get new arms, but never get a second chance.

I guess you can add Hermanson and Politte to that list too.

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Well, you wouldn't want to give a guy, say, TWO starts this season before you write him off?

I haven't written him off. I merely posed the question to hear the thoughts of knowledgeable Sox fans. :huh

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Well, you wouldn't want to give a guy, say, TWO starts this season before you write him off?

Contreras absolutely dominated the Tigers on the road one game in August last year...I think it's more of a psychological issue. He lost his aura of invincibility, and now he needs to have some success and start building upon it once again.

We all thought El Duque was done as a major league starter, and look what he's done since 2006, albeit in the NL.

I'm not sure Contreras will ever get his FB back up to the 96-98 range, but he can still be a very effective big league pitcher. Extensions are hit and miss, but at least we signed him to a reasonable contract and there will always be a scout or GM who remembers what he did (like Loaiza living off 2003) and take him in trade if we are struggling at the break.

I'm not sure Buehrle and Garland are guaranteed to lead us back to the playoffs either, if we had extended either or both.

It took a true ace (Contreras) to push us over the top, Buehrle is a solid 2 and Garland a solid 3, but we're not getting back to the World Series without an ace...it could be Contreras again, it could be Floyd (doubtful), Danks, Gio, Russell, Masset or Sisco, but one of those six guys really needs to step it up if Contreras continues to be a 4.00-5.00 ERA type of pitcher (like Vazquez).

As I said, Contreras' stuff is not really the question, it's his head...and what's in it right now. And maybe there's something going on off-field, maybe he was shell-shocked from getting hit around the park, maybe he doesn't quite trust his body yet, and will be better when it warms up, like we kept on saying about Garcia last year. His fastball wil come back, his fastball will come back!!!

Not signing Buehrle was almost proved eerily prescient, although we can all thank our lucky stars he's not out for half the season or more.

Shoota, opening day looked more like he got caught between his arm angles and was just trying to get it over the plate. When he did, he got rocked. His velocity was not that bad. He never looked comfortable.

If he looks this bad or anything close in his next start, then I would worry.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Maybe we should ask the question after the season? Include Mark Buerehle and others in that. You can't make such judgements based on one game, or even a couple three games. It's over a season or more.

I wasn't inspired to start this thread after one game, but after his poor performing, injured second-half of 2006 combined with an offseason of rest and his pitiful Opening Day 2007 performance. That said, I'm certainly not calling Contreras's career over.

Are most of you forgetting... Contreras had a very good spring this year. And last outing didn't seem like he was hurting or anything, but it seemed like just one of those bad days... He didn't have his good splitter and he has trouble locating his fastball, and that usually makes for a bad day.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 09:26 AM)
Are most of you forgetting... Contreras had a very good spring this year. And last outing didn't seem like he was hurting or anything, but it seemed like just one of those bad days... He didn't have his good splitter and he has trouble locating his fastball, and that usually makes for a bad day.

Personally, I wouldn't call putting up an ERA of 5 in 17 innings a very good spring, but that's just me.

Contreras's Opening Day performance (Guillen should have had Buehrle start; another bad Guillen decision) was pitiful and makes one question if he's still less than 100%.

um i think if you didn't go with the Count, you had to give it to Garland not Buehrle.

And didn't we exend Garland last off season??? Just like we did Count? So how does not extending Count even factor into extending Garland? Please tell I am stupid, if I am wrong.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Personally, I wouldn't call putting up an ERA of 5 in 17 innings a very good spring, but that's just me.

a 5 era in tuscon is very reasonable, and he looked good in the outing I saw him pitch.

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
(Guillen should have had Buehrle start; another bad Guillen decision)

LOL, the anti-Ozzie sentiment is off-the-charts ridiculous here.

Here's my question: Is Buehrle "done" as well because he was throwing an 86 mph fastball during the latter half of last season?

I think that it would be best to give these guys a few more starts to strengthen their arms and shake off the rust before declaring that their careers are over.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
So you knew that Contreras would give up 8 runs in 1+ innings?

I'm on record saying Buehrle or Garland should have been the Opening Day starter. I did not forecast Contreras's horrible line, but am willing to assume Buehrle or JG would have pitched better. If Buehrle pitches on Opening Day, he likely doesn't get hit with a liner off his pitching arm. Shoota = 1; Guillen = 0; Ozney = still hustlin' for that 250k+ salary.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
LOL, the anti-Ozzie sentiment is off-the-charts ridiculous here.

Here's my question: Is Buehrle "done" as well because he was throwing an 86 mph fastball during the latter half of last season?

I think that it would be best to give these guys a few more starts to strengthen their arms and shake off the rust before declaring that their careers are over.

Two of the three reasons I started this thread asking if Contreras is done are due to his archaic age and recent injury. Buehrle has neither of those characteristics, therefore no thread asking if his career is over.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Buehrle has neither of those characteristics, therefore no thread asking if his career is over.

Buehrle has mediocre stuff, has thrown 200+ innings for six straight years, and lost 5 mph off of his fastball last season. How does that make him a better Season Opener option than Contreras?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
Buehrle has mediocre stuff, has thrown 200+ innings for six straight years, and lost 5 mph off of his fastball last season. How does that make him a better Season Opener option than Contreras?

That's neither here nor there. Let's stay on topic: Is Contreras's career done?

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 7, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
That's neither here nor there. Let's stay on topic: Is Contreras's career done?

I have a better idea: Let's wait until Contreras sucks for a few straight starts. Or, better yet, TWO straight starts before declaring that he's done.