The Sopranos

RibbieRubarb

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loose ends were tied up with Phil being killed and the agreement with NY, AJ seemingly becoming happy and having a future, Meadow with her career, Carm with the spec houses, Junior's money will go to Bobby's kids, Both Tony's families go on.

Only thing not closed was Carlo and the case that is seemingly coming against Tony.

In the last episode, Phil Leotardo is killed, while Tony seems to have hidden successfully. He comes out of hiding to spend time with his family in a restaurant in the last few minutes of the final episode, while suspicious-looking assailents enter the building, possibly to do something dramatic in order to kill Tony. There is then a minute or so of a black screen before the credits, so that what happened is not actually established. Worse than the Seinfeld Finale.

From wikipedia.com

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:13 PM)
In the last episode, Phil Leotardo is killed, while Tony seems to have hidden successfully. He comes out of hiding to spend time with his family in a restaurant in the last few minutes of the final episode, while suspicious-looking assailents enter the building, possibly to do something dramatic in order to kill Tony. There is then a minute or so of a black screen before the credits, so that what happened is not actually established. Worse than the Seinfeld Finale.

From wikipedia.com

Wikipedia? Pah-lease.

I'm looking forward to Sepinwall's write up.

I think the guy walking past the table to the bathroom signified that the paranoia with NY is gone. We see it at the end of movies all the time.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:15 PM)
Wikipedia? Pah-lease.

I'm looking forward to Sepinwall's write up.

I think the guy walking past the table to the bathroom signified that the paranoia with NY is gone. We see it at the end of movies all the time.

I just laughed at the "worse than the Seinfeld finale" comment...

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
I just laughed at the "worse than the Seinfeld finale" comment...

Yeah. I didn't hate the Seinfeld finale, but this was nowhere near that bad.

Any theories on the cat?

So I'm the only one that thought it was outstanding? Tony is about to be indicted and probably go to prison but everything is just peachy to him because he's on top, he won. His family is safe from danger, healthy and well on their way to big things and even more importantly legitimate big things. He makes it through the biggest war yet with his family fully intact and proporous.

The tension created in the final scene was epic, amazing work.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
So I'm the only one that thought it was outstanding? Tony is about to be indicted and probably go to prison but everything is just peachy to him because he's on top, he won. His family is safe from danger, healthy and well on their way to big things and even more importantly legitimate big things. He makes it through the biggest war yet with his family fully intact and proporous.

There was definite tension in the end scene. I kept waiting for something to happen, especially as the song kept getting louder. I was thinking the guys in the restaurant they kept panning to were FBI agents and that they would take Tony away as everything else with his family seemed to be in order. Of course, the idea of someone popping him in the restaurant went through my head too.

I didn't hate the ending, but definitely thought it was strange. Especially with Meadow having trouble parking and then running across the street to the restaurant and then all of a sudden, blank screen... Not sure what was behind that deal with Meadow.

My feelings exactly. Not only the tease with the guy at the counter and everyone walking in, but Meadow having to repeatedly parallel park.

Alternate Endings on the DVD maybe.

Sepinwall is having an interview with Chase up this week. Hopefully he will get back to me and I'll be able to have Sepinwall on the show.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)

No, I thought it was a great, suspenseful buildup and really the only ending that would have fit once they killed Phil.

Left with a 90% certainty Tony is getting indicted and the life goes on angle, I think that was a good end.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
I didn't hate the ending, but definitely thought it was strange. Especially with Meadow having trouble parking and then running across the street to the restaurant and then all of a sudden, blank screen... Not sure what was behind that deal with Meadow.

It was meant to make you uneasy, you don't feel that Tony, Carmella and AJ are safe inside the restaurant because of all the shady characters in the place as Meadow struggles to park the car scenarios keep running through your head. You watch the show for so long you become attached to the characters, you're afraid for their well being, you don't want to see anything bad happen to them. You look at the clock and you see it's already 9:00 this is probably the final scene. What the hell is going to happen? A big shootout in the restaurant with Tony and the other 2 being killed and Meadow getting hit by a speeding car while trying to parallel park?

It was amazingly well done.

I liked it as well. I first had to make sure that Comcast didnt f*** up.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
I liked it as well. I first had to make sure that Comcast didnt f*** up.

Ha, same here. Exactly when the screen went to black, I reclined my chair. I thought I hit the remote or something.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
It was meant to make you uneasy, you don't feel that Tony, Carmella and AJ are safe inside the restaurant because of all the shady characters in the place as Meadow struggles to park the car scenarios keep running through your head. You watch the show for so long you become attached to the characters, you're afraid for their well being, you don't want to see anything bad happen to them. You look at the clock and you see it's already 9:00 this is probably the final scene. What the hell is going to happen? A big shootout in the restaurant with Tony and the other 2 being killed and Meadow getting hit by a speeding car while trying to parallel park?

It was amazingly well done.

I agree completely. I just didn't quite understand the significance of the problems Meadow had parking and how they ended it without her even getting into the restaurant. Maybe all of that was just to add to the uneasy feeling I was having, but I'll tell you it was there whether Meadow parallel parked right on the first time or not. LOL

My interpretation was more along the lines of Tony will always be watching his back, the feds will always be on him, and he'll always be looking out for the best for his family. He won't stop believin that everything will turn out for the best.

And was the cat Adriana or Chrissy?

I loved it.

John from Cincinnati...not so much. (And I actually was kinda psyched to see a surfer show...for some odd reason...)

One interesting take I've read is that we should think of it as Tony's death. "You probably don't even hear it when it happens." Hence the cut and the silence. It's a neat thought, anyway.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
My interpretation was more along the lines of Tony will always be watching his back, the feds will always be on him, and he'll always be looking out for the best for his family. He won't stop believin that everything will turn out for the best.

And was the cat Adriana or Chrissy?

To me that was more of that episode where Pauly heard from that Psychic that he had a bunch of dead people following him around. In a lot of folklore, cats are considered spiritual and have a gateway between the living and the dead. When the cat keeps peering at the picture, maybe the thought was he was seeing something. Noticed at the end, the cat came out and was staring at Paully sunning himself. Maybe his ghouls are sitting around watching him after all.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I loved it.

John from Cincinnati...not so much. (And I actually was kinda psyched to see a surfer show...for some odd reason...)

One interesting take I've read is that we should think of it as Tony's death. "You probably don't even hear it when it happens." Hence the cut and the silence. It's a neat thought, anyway.

That is a very interesting take on the cut to black. They have said that the last few episodes.

I was gonna watch John from Cincinatti but it didn't get good reviews from what I saw.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
To me that was more of that episode where Pauly heard from that Psychic that he had a bunch of dead people following him around. In a lot of folklore, cats are considered spiritual and have a gateway between the living and the dead. When the cat keeps peering at the picture, maybe the thought was he was seeing something. Noticed at the end, the cat came out and was staring at Paully sunning himself. Maybe his ghouls are sitting around watching him after all.

Isn't that a different cat? The one from the safehouse is at the Bing, right?

Edit: N/m, my bad, just watched it again.

Edited by jackie hayes

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 12:23 AM)
Tony's dead. Remember he said that your mind goes blank before you die. He just got shot

The screen blacked out from the audience point of view. It is not over for Tony, it is over for us, the viewers. The Sopranos live.