McCarthy Watch

caulfield12

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 09:30 PM)
He was keeping his changeup and curve ball down. I haven't watched him yet this season, but there are 2 things that killed him with us; when he wasn't throwing his changeup or when he wasn't keeping things buried in the dirt.

He has a 2 seam fastball that is a decent pitch, and a 93 mph fastball or so, but that 4 seamer is pretty darn straight. His curve ball though was a nice big overhand pitch, and his changeup when he kept it down was devastating. But if he wasn't throwing his changeup for strikes, hitters could just sit on the fastball or the curve and drive it, and if he wasn't keeping the changeup or curve down, they were basically meatballs. He needs to keep the ball down. End of story.

If you look at his splits, you'll notice he's always been much more effective against lefthanders.

Part of that might have to do with the fact that he does tend to elevate and get strikeouts with his flat fastball riding up high in the zone...whereas most lefties have a lower sweet spot in the zone.

I think Brandon will be fine, if he can get ahead in the count and locate his offspeed stuff. Otherwise, he's in a world of hurt. Three homers in Seattle, that's not exactly a hitter's paradise in April.

It seems that we got a pitcher similar to McCarthy in Masset and Danks for good measure...the most important asset in baseball, a talented/composed/affordable left-handed starter.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Ouch! I feel kind of bad for Brandon. I actually hope he does well. I wonder what the Rangers boards are like tonight.

That LarrytheLegend guy on the Rangers board is ready to kill somebody. Don't blame him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
He just needs to get into a groove.

Going to be hard to do that with a straight as an arrow 89 MPH fastball and a change he can't keep down in the zone while pitching half his games in Arlington.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Oh man... I feel bad for bmac.

I really criticized KW for the trade and I admit it, but bmac cannot be be this bad...

I still don't get why people didn't like that trade. Looked like a fleece from day 1 IMO. The only mistake this offseason was not getting more for Freddy, at least in regards to trade mistakes.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
Going to be hard to do that with a straight as an arrow 89 MPH fastball and a change he can't keep down in the zone while pitching half his games in Arlington.

I still don't get why people didn't like that trade. Looked like a fleece from day 1 IMO. The only mistake this offseason was not getting more for Freddy, at least in regards to trade mistakes.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...e.2c700cbb.html

Here's the game article from the Dallas Morning News. Brandon, as usual, doesn't seem too concerned.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)

Well he looked good while he was here. His changeup was a very good pitch and you'd expect him to put on a few more pounds and hopefully add a few MPH to his fastball. Besides he is a smart guy and has composure. His curve isn't that bad either. As far as keeping the ball down, every pitcher has to keep the ball down. Especially when its a change that's being left up.

Like I said it's still early.

I agree it's still early, but McCarthy to me is no different than McCullough and Broadway in the sense of lanky guys with average stuff, and safe draft picks with minimal celings but safe to be productive members of an organization. Danks and Masset each have far better potential alone, let alone combined....hence why I always thought the deal was a fleece for us.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
I was being sarcastic. I've always projected mediocrity for him.

Me too. Outside of his few impressive starts in '05 at the end of the year...he's really shown me nothing.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
I agree it's still early, but McCarthy to me is no different than McCullough and Broadway in the sense of lanky guys with average stuff

Broadway is listed as 6-4, 190 pounds. He shouldn't be lopped in with those two in terms of lankiness.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
Broadway is listed as 6-4, 190 pounds. He shouldn't be lopped in with those two in terms of lankiness.

The comparison is a bad one in the first place. You're (not you, just in general) talking about one guy who had great K/9 and K/BB ratios all the way to the majors, pretty much dominating every level in the process, and another who gives up high H/9 numbers and who has very mediocre K/9 numbers. The comparison doesn't fit.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
The comparison is a bad one in the first place. You're (not you, just in general) talking about one guy who had great K/9 and K/BB ratios all the way to the majors, pretty much dominating every level in the process, and another who gives up high H/9 numbers and who has very mediocre K/9 numbers. The comparison doesn't fit.

Not to mention McCarthy was just a gem pick in what the 14th round? He was the one who dominated and made himself better. People tend to forget that B-Mac was not a first round pick.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
McCarthy a gem? Ha! It's things like that that made me want him gone in the first place and now that he is I'm happy to see him drag down a team not mine.

So you want people gone that people have infatuations with?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
McCarthy a gem? Ha! It's things like that that made me want him gone in the first place and now that he is I'm happy to see him drag down a team not mine.

The Sox got a guy in 14th round who put up great minor league numbers, made the majors at the age of 22(?) and then netted two good pitching prospects in return in a trade (one a very high first round draft pick). Drafting McCarthy in the 14th round was a gem of a pick, even if he doesn't pan out in the majors. I think that's what the original poster meant.

So you want people gone that people have infatuations with?

In some cases. Cotts got obnoxious with the girls at the park. Garland's fangirls get on my nerves, although I don't really want him gone. I'd have pulled a Harris if I'd have been here when Credepoppedup (assuming people crushed for him, which I'm sure they did).

Anderson drives me mad.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
In some cases. Cotts got obnoxious with the girls at the park. Garland's fangirls get on my nerves, although I don't really want him gone. I'd have pulled a Harris if I'd have been here when Credepoppedup (assuming people crushed for him, which I'm sure they did).

Anderson drives me mad.

Well a couple things.

In 2005, Cotts was unhittable. In 2006, he was a human torch, because everyone and their mothers hit him. So did you want him gone in 2005 or 2006?

Secondly, right now, I love Aardsma. (roughly) A thousand on this site do too. Do you want him gone? He's been mediocre as hell over his past 6 months, but people love him because he's been one of the best, if not THE best, reliever in baseball since the start of the season. Gone, or no?

And if not Anderson, who? Mr. .169 Erstad? Don't forget how many questioned that decision. I figure had Anderson been starting, not only would Podsednik not have one bounce off his head, but the Sox wouldn't have a guy hitting sub-.170 in the lineup. Is that agreeable at all or not?

Aardsma is a very different beast than Anderson and McCarthy. Aardsma has heat and enthusiam on the mound, something that's clear from watching him. I don't think it's possible to dislike Aardsma for me even if he were going bad.

With Anderson and McCarthy, the thing that bothers me most is that everybody's going crazy over Ozzie Guillen and I a. believe that neither of them resembles a good ballplayer and b. believe that McCarthy wasn't better than any of our starters last year, b2. Anderson probably deserves what's happening to him now. It isn't because Ozzie's racist or irrational or hates young players -- it's because Brian did something to disrespect Ozzie's country, or to disrespect the game, and he probably deserves it, IMO.

I can second-guess Ozzie, sometimes, but I put this situation on BA, KW and then Ozzie. KW shouldn't have put him on the roster if he knew that Oz has got serious issues with him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 03:59 AM)
In 2005, Cotts was unhittable. In 2006, he was a human torch, because everyone and their mothers hit him. So did you want him gone in 2005 or 2006?

I'm glad he did so well for us but I always knew he'd go back to normal. I'd have preferred trading him after 05. (Easy to say now.) (Besides, I don't have as much contempt for him, Podsednik or Garland as I do BA and McCarthy.)

And if not Anderson, who? Mr. .169 Erstad? Don't forget how many questioned that decision. I figure had Anderson been starting, not only would Podsednik not have one bounce off his head, but the Sox wouldn't have a guy hitting sub-.170 in the lineup. Is that agreeable at all or not?

Yes, Erstad. I still prefer Erstad to BA. I think BA has a terrible swing. But that's not a discussion for this thread.

I believe this thread is about Brandon McCarthy sucking, and I'm glad to see it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
Aardsma is a very different beast than Anderson and McCarthy. Aardsma has heat and enthusiam on the mound, something that's clear from watching him. I don't think it's possible to dislike Aardsma for me even if he were going bad.

With Anderson and McCarthy, the thing that bothers me most is that everybody's going crazy over Ozzie Guillen and I a. believe that neither of them resembles a good ballplayer and b. believe that McCarthy wasn't better than any of our starters last year, b2. Anderson probably deserves what's happening to him now. It isn't because Ozzie's racist or irrational or hates young players -- it's because Brian did something to disrespect Ozzie's country, or to disrespect the game, and he probably deserves it, IMO.

I can second-guess Ozzie, sometimes, but I put this situation on BA, KW and then Ozzie. KW shouldn't have put him on the roster if he knew that Oz has got serious issues with him.

I'm glad he did so well for us but I always knew he'd go back to normal. I'd have preferred trading him after 05. (Easy to say now.) (Besides, I don't have as much contempt for him, Podsednik or Garland as I do BA and McCarthy.)

Yes, Erstad. I still prefer Erstad to BA. I think BA has a terrible swing. But that's not a discussion for this thread.

I believe this thread is about Brandon McCarthy sucking, and I'm glad to see it.

3 runs in first two innings today

9.47 ERA

Looks like he will be headed to AAA after they tried skipping his turn once and pitching him out of the bullpen this week.

Already at 70+ pitches and only one out in 3rd. Three walks and HBP in first inning...he's struggling big-time with mechanics now...FB down to 87-88.

5 runs now, 10+ ERA, 32 hits in 19.6 IP

Edited by caulfield12