12th Pitcher

RME JICO

I know it is early, but it seems like the team really could use a 12th pitcher right now. Through the first 6 games, the relievers have more innings than the starters. My concern is, will these additional innings bite us down the road in August and September?

If you look at other roster spots, Mackowiak has only 3 ABs, and Anderson only has 1. I know it is early, but would sending BA down to get some AB's in Charlotte while adding another pitcher to help with the workload be the best option?

Its getting a little frustrating seeing BA sit on his ass every day. KW wants him on the team, Ozzie doesn't... so Ozzie takes him but doesn't play him.

Part of it, I know, is that Erstad and Pods are doing well right now. I'm not saying BA plays every third day in CF or something. But there is no reason why, in a given week of baseball, he shouldn't be relieving Dye, Erstad and Pods one game each. That gets him 3 games a week.

So far, 6 games in, he has 1 AB and hasn't started yet. If this keeps up, he won't be growing or improving at all.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
Its getting a little frustrating seeing BA sit on his ass every day. KW wants him on the team, Ozzie doesn't... so Ozzie takes him but doesn't play him.

Part of it, I know, is that Erstad and Pods are doing well right now. I'm not saying BA plays every third day in CF or something. But there is no reason why, in a given week of baseball, he shouldn't be relieving Dye, Erstad and Pods one game each. That gets him 3 games a week.

So far, 6 games in, he has 1 AB and hasn't started yet. If this keeps up, he won't be growing or improving at all.

I'd venture a guess that he'll actually start to regress at the plate if he's not seeing any live pitching.

Play him or send him down. Having him ride the pine all the time doesn't do anyone any good.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 08:42 AM)
I'd venture a guess that he'll actually start to regress at the plate if he's not seeing any live pitching.

Play him or send him down. Having him ride the pine all the time doesn't do anyone any good.

Contreras pitched one inning. Buehrle got knocked out of the game early.

Our starters should be going 6-7 innings, and if Danks can go 6 IP/3 ER every time out, I think everyone in White Sox Nation would be satisfied, as that would be the same (or better than) Garcia at a fraction of the cost.

I'm not so sure they need Logan yet. Who knows, maybe Ozzie will bring up Gio and put him in that long "Buehrle 2000" role instead of Logan.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
I'm not so sure they need Logan yet. Who knows, maybe Ozzie will bring up Gio and put him in that long "Buehrle 2000" role instead of Logan.

I have difficulty thinking of many worse ideas than the concept of bringing up a future, hopefully top-of-the-line starting pitcher for this team and sticking them as the 12th man in the bullpen.

Yes, the Bullpen was used a lot in the first week. What are the odds of that happening again? I'd say pretty low. Even with the starters being shelled last year, our bullpen still threw the fewest innings in baseball.

It's possible there might be a few more innings available this year what with people aging in the rotation and the occasional bout of bad luck. But if that's the case...why should we use a starter for that role? Gio, Haeger, etc., they all are going to be a lot better served working as starters and throwing 6-7 inning games all year.

If we want another reliever, bring up Logan or Bukvich. One more reliever would give us 12 pitchers, which would be a loaded bullpen in terms of how many people are in it. Even for periods of fairly heavy use, that'd be plenty to get by.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
I have difficulty thinking of many worse ideas than the concept of bringing up a future, hopefully top-of-the-line starting pitcher for this team and sticking them as the 12th man in the bullpen.

Yes, the Bullpen was used a lot in the first week. What are the odds of that happening again? I'd say pretty low. Even with the starters being shelled last year, our bullpen still threw the fewest innings in baseball.

It's possible there might be a few more innings available this year what with people aging in the rotation and the occasional bout of bad luck. But if that's the case...why should we use a starter for that role? Gio, Haeger, etc., they all are going to be a lot better served working as starters and throwing 6-7 inning games all year.

If we want another reliever, bring up Logan or Bukvich. One more reliever would give us 12 pitchers, which would be a loaded bullpen in terms of how many people are in it. Even for periods of fairly heavy use, that'd be plenty to get by.

It worked for Buehrle. It didn't work for McCarthy.

It all depends upon a pitcher's make-up. Assuming the White Sox still see Gio as a starter, it probably does make sense for him to keep starting in Birm/Charlotte.

OTOH, you never know what Ozzie and KW are thinking. Maybe they prefer to move Gio to LH set-up and make Sisco a starter? That doesn't make a lot of sense, Gio was the centerpiece of that Garcia trade...

There have been lots of concerns about Gio's frame since he was drafted, and whether he will have the durability/stamina as a starter. Another issue is the pitching coach at AA or AAA. Some would probably argue that "Miracle Worker" Cooper being around a pitcher everyday would offset the perceived value of them starting every five days in the minors. And some pitcher need to build their arm strength through 22-26 starts, others, like Haeger, would seem capable of adjusting to any situation.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Gio was a first rounder, Buerhle was like a 22nd rounder.

They are not just going to rush Gio to the majors and put him in the bullpen where he may or may not get work. They are going to take their time with him and hopefully it works out for the best.

McCarthy wasn't a high draft pick (he was the top prospect), but the assumption by most was that he would learn a lot more in our bullpen going against major league batters than he would at Charlotte. Same thing with Garland, when he struggled at various times in the majors and some wanted to send him back to AAA.

OTOH, Gio's coming off a pretty shaky 2006 season, so he has a lot more to prove.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Gio was a first rounder, Buerhle was like a 22nd rounder.

They are not just going to rush Gio to the majors and put him in the bullpen where he may or may not get work. They are going to take their time with him and hopefully it works out for the best.

Mark Buehrle was a 38th round pick

http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/buehrma01.shtml