IS BA trade bait

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
No, no he's not. Mainly because he is at his lowest value right now and there is no other true CF under 30 capable of playing every day in the organization. He's just not playing and should be in Charlotte.

I agree right now he has no market!

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
If he was going to be used as trade bait you would see him playing to raise his value... Ozzie just doesn't want him on this team so he sits him...

KW has to hold onto BA for next year, because there's a 50/50 chance Sweeney and Anderson will be the outfielders instead of Dye and Erstad.

Trading him now, while buried on the bench, doesn't do anything for the White Sox. He would be much more tradeable if he was playing everyday and making the AAA All-Star game, proving that he can improve his plate discipline, power hitting and steal some bases as well.

I still don't understand why the best defensive outfielder on this team isn't being used as a defensive replacement late in games. They're sticking with a Pods/Erstad/Dye outfield in the 8th and 9th innings instead of taking advantage of his skills. I just don't get it. Pods should NEVER be in LF as late as the 9th, he has no arm and no clue.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 09:16 AM)
I still don't understand why the best defensive outfielder on this team isn't being used as a defensive replacement late in games. They're sticking with a Pods/Erstad/Dye outfield in the 8th and 9th innings instead of taking advantage of his skills. I just don't get it. Pods should NEVER be in LF as late as the 9th, he has no arm and no clue.

+1

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Brian's the future CF, I can see no reason to trade him. And I see no reason to have him in Charlotte.

How do you even know he's the future? Do you know if he's any good? He had a disappointing season at the plate last year and he's not getting any playing time right now, how do you know what you have in him? How does keeping him on the bench help his development or help with any future personnel decisions in the outfield? Is Luis Terrero not capable of sitting on is ass 6 games a week?

As much as Podsednik's defensive prowess has been mocked around here, I truly believe he has been better since the later part of last season defensively.

I worry more about JD out there in right than I do about Scottie in left. For whatever reason, no one mentions how terrible-looking Dye is out there though...

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Brian's the future CF, I can see no reason to trade him. And I see no reason to have him in Charlotte.

I'll agree to disagree on this. I don't see him as our CF of the future. I also don't see half of what the rest of you see in him, aside from his defensive abilities. But I also like Podsednik, and got hung out to dry around here because of such an opinion. If I remember correctly, it was because I obviously knew nothing about baseball for liking Pods and Erstad > BAAAnderson.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
How do you even know he's the future? Do you know if he's any good? He had a disappointing season at the plate last year and he's not getting any playing time right now, how do you know what you have in him? How does keeping him on the bench help his development or help with any future personnel decisions in the outfield? Is Luis Terrero not capable of sitting on is ass 6 games a week?

Maybe they do like Terrero equally (to BA)...it's not like there is a HUGE age difference between the two.

I don't think he'll ever be able to hit more than .240 in the big leagues, but .240 with 15 homers and 60 RBI's would be fine, as long as he played defense the way we all know he's capable of playing.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/T/Luis-Terrero.shtml

Terrero just turned 27, and both Luis and BA have the same concerns surrounding them. They're not hitting enough home runs, and neither are true stolen base threats either. If you don't have great speed or power (like Erstad at this point in his career), you have to make up for it by playing fundamentally sound baseball and hustling.

Brian Anderson simply doesn't profile as a "small ball" type of player. And I'm not sure that he ever will. It will be interesting to see our starting OF next year, to say the least.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
As much as Podsednik's defensive prowess has been mocked around here, I truly believe he has been better since the later part of last season defensively.

I worry more about JD out there in right than I do about Scottie in left. For whatever reason, no one mentions how terrible-looking Dye is out there though...

Really? When did his arm get any stronger? Even if you want to debate that his defensive abilities have been better of late, which I don't see at all, I think everyone can agree that he has basically no arm strength to speak of, which late in games can end up hurting a team. Why should a below average defender with no arm be used at all late in games when there's an excellent defender on the bench?

As for Dye, he's getting even slower out there, he was running through molasses last season, he's running through quicksand right now.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I'll agree to disagree on this. I don't see him as our CF of the future. I also don't see half of what the rest of you see in him, aside from his defensive abilities. But I also like Podsednik, and got hung out to dry around here because of such an opinion. If I remember correctly, it was because I obviously knew nothing about baseball for liking Pods and Erstad > BAAAnderson.

Pods has a good week and you pat yourself on the back. If the season were 6 games long, then you'd be set, however, there's that other set of 156 you must worry about, now.

I'd love to see Pods continue this throughout the season, but only time will tell.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)

Dye was horrible defensively last year, but his bat made up for it. Pods looks more confident in the field, and him and Erstad did a great job on their jumps last night.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)

I mentioned it a lot last season. Dye has lost more than a step out in RF. It's only a matter of time before he's placed in left or DHing.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Really? When did his arm get any stronger? Even if you want to debate that his defensive abilities have been better of late, which I don't see at all, I think everyone can agree that he has basically no arm strength to speak of, which late in games can end up hurting a team. Why should a below average defender with no arm be used at all late in games when there's an excellent defender on the bench?

As for Dye, he's getting even slower out there, he was running through molasses last season, he's running through quicksand right now.

Obviously his arm has not gotten stronger. However, his jumps and routes have, which have led to his improvement. I don't believe I stated that Pods has turned into an all-star defender; I stated he has improved.

IMO, even with his strong arm, Dye should be replaced defensively late in games before Podsednik should, barring your "runner on third with less than two out in a tie game" scenario.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Pods has a good week and you pat yourself on the back. If the season were 6 games long, then you'd be set, however, there's that other set of 156 you must worry about, now.

I'd love to see Pods continue this throughout the season, but only time will tell.

Still figured I'd take the opportunity because it may disappear soon and I may never get another one. ;)

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Obviously his arm has not gotten stronger. However, his jumps and routes have, which have led to his improvement. I don't believe I stated that Pods has turned into an all-star defender; I stated he has improved.

IMO, even with his strong arm, Dye should be replaced defensively late in games before Podsednik should, barring your "runner on third with less than two out in a tie game" scenario.

The way he came out of the box on that double and his homer are very encouraging.

He also is playing LF more confidently. He's never going to be an All-Star, but a return to 2005 form would be more than many realistically expected out of him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)

If the game is close enough you can't be taking a bat like Dye's out of the lineup. With a 3 run lead I could see it but any less you can't be removing one of your best hitters. Using Anderson in CF and moving Erstad to either corner in the 8th/9th inning improves the defense 2 fold.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
The way he came out of the box on that double and his homer are very encouraging.

He also is playing LF more confidently. He's never going to be an All-Star, but a return to 2005 form would be more than many realistically expected out of him.

He was an all star in 2005. ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
If the game is close enough you can't be taking a bat like Dye's out of the lineup. With a 3 run lead I could see it but any less you can't be removing one of your best hitters. Using Anderson in CF and moving Erstad to either corner in the 8th/9th inning improves the defense 2 fold.

We have enough bats in this lineup where we can afford to lose one. Once again, I've seen Dye stumbling around out there enough to where I don't feel comfortable anymore in close and late situations, especially with how slow he looks at the plate right now. I feel fine with an OF of Pods/Anderson/Erstand considering we have Thome/Konerko/Crede still in the heart of the order if Dye is replaced.