Something the White Sox should def. do.

Steve9347

So I'm surfing ESPN.com and notice that the Phils are 1-6, mainly because of their struggling bullpen.

We have some arms IN THE MINORS right now that could definitely help the Phillies, and we're one of the few franchises that can gloat about it.

The law of supply and demand says that the Phillies might be willing to overpay for a character like Boone Logan, and no might be the time to act while they can still save their season.

Let me state, first and foremost, that I think the Darin Erstad/Brian Anderson combo is better than Aaron Rowand, I am not in ANY WAY advocating for the return of the great "CRASH."

However, if we could get someone like SS Adrian Cardenas along with a C Carlos Ruiz, who would be a good solution vs. LHP if we could pry him away (depending on Toby Hall's recovery) then I don't see why a phone call would not be made.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
So I'm surfing ESPN.com and notice that the Phils are 1-6, mainly because of their struggling bullpen.

We have some arms IN THE MINORS right now that could definitely help the Phillies, and we're one of the few franchises that can gloat about it.

The law of supply and demand says that the Phillies might be willing to overpay for a character like Boone Logan, and no might be the time to act while they can still save their season.

Let me state, first and foremost, that I think the Darin Erstad/Brian Anderson combo is better than Aaron Rowand, I am not in ANY WAY advocating for the return of the great "CRASH."

However, if we could get someone like SS Adrian Cardenas along with a C Carlos Ruiz, who would be a good solution vs. LHP if we could pry him away (depending on Toby Hall's recovery) then I don't see why a phone call would not be made.

I'm sure discussions have been had. It's believed that the Phillies did not want someone like Logan; instead they wanted someone like MacDougal, whom we were unwilling to move. That was the end of it.

Perhaps they will get desperate and take Logan. Perhaps they won't.

Edited by iamshack

I'm pretty sure the Phillies are looking for a proven bullpen arm, not a young pitcher who s*** the bed in his only experience at the big league level, they have enough of those guys. Unless you're willing to move MacDougal you're not getting anything from Philly.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
I'm pretty sure the Phillies are looking for a proven bullpen arm, not a young pitcher who s*** the bed in his only experience at the big league level, they have enough of those guys. Unless you're willing to move MacDougal you're not getting anything from Philly.

Heck, if you're the Phillies, do you trade two prospects for David Aarsdsma?

I wouldn't, not until he proves himself a little more and gets his FB back into the mid 90's.

Same thing with Sisco....he's less than 6 months removed from having the worst ERA in the major leagues.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)

I keep hearing Hall will be ok by May. We would have 1 too many catchers ( not that it's a bad thing, just not necessary). I do like Cardenas however.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Well... I'm not!

Which of our relievers could garner interest, or would it only be Mac or Bobby?

The ONLY relievers they'd even consider dealing for would be Mac and Bobby, they don't need anymore unproven, inconsistent bullpen arms. Ryan Madson already fills that role.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
Well... I'm not!

Which of our relievers could garner interest, or would it only be Mac or Bobby?

I think there might even be more interest in Thornton than Jenks. Jenks has whispers surrounding him about his fastball and the lost velocity and injury issues.

I've been encouraged he's relying more on his offspeed stuff instead of relying upon a relatively straight 93-95 MPH fastball (see Billy Koch in 2002-03).

1) Thornton

2) Jenks

3) MacDougal

4) Masset or Sisco

6) Aardsma

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
I think there might even be more interest in Thornton than Jenks. Jenks has whispers surrounding him about his fastball and the lost velocity and injury issues.

I've been encouraged he's relying more on his offspeed stuff instead of relying upon a relatively straight 93-95 MPH fastball (see Billy Koch in 2002-03).

1) Thornton

2) Jenks

3) MacDougal

4) Masset or Sisco

6) Aardsma

I think Thornton's age moves him down the list... turning 31 soon. Bobby, regardless of the rumored lost velocity, still gets the job done and is young and has some sexy fat.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
If this were ootp, philadelphia would jump at the chance to trade Ryan Howard For Andy Sisco :bang

Absolutely!

BTW, AJ... Sisco is currently a Minnesota Twin!

Well, Kenny has got the technique exactly right in this instance: You don't try to pay the price for a proven relief arm. You either go after someone with a good arm who is still unproven, or someone who cannot put it together for whatever reason.

Gillick should take a page out of his book- it's sitting there wide open for the rest of the league to see...

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:52 AM)
I hear the Marlins received 300 pts and a 4.5 prospect.

They did better than that, they got the 2017, 2018, 2019 2nd rounders... no points though, they've been abolished.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
Well, Kenny has got the technique exactly right in this instance: You don't try to pay the price for a proven relief arm. You either go after someone with a good arm who is still unproven, or someone who cannot put it together for whatever reason.

Gillick should take a page out of his book- it's sitting there wide open for the rest of the league to see...

Or someone who has injury history (see MacDougal)... what a trade!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:51 AM)
I think Thornton's age moves him down the list... turning 31 soon. Bobby, regardless of the rumored lost velocity, still gets the job done and is young and has some sexy fat.

Absolutely!

BTW, AJ... Sisco is currently a Minnesota Twin!

It's not Thronton's age that hurts his trade value (he's 6 months older than Mac), it's the fact that he's had only a few successful months as a major league reliever, at this time last year he was considered a complete bust with not much of a future as a big league pitcher.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)

See Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Riske, Thornton, Marte...we almost NEVER go out and pay "full value" for a reliever like the Cubs did with Howry and Eyre. The article today in one of the Chicago papers is already questioning Baker's overuse of both those guys, which they speculate is leading to trouble in the first week of the 07 season.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
See Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Riske, Thornton, Marte...we almost NEVER go out and pay "full value" for a reliever like the Cubs did with Howry and Eyre. The article today in one of the Chicago papers is already questioning Baker's overuse of both those guys, which they speculate is leading to trouble in the first week of the 07 season.

Don't forget Sisco, Jenks, Masset, Aardsma....he remade this entire bullpen of young power arms out of nothing basically...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
Don't forget Sisco, Jenks, Masset, Aardsma....he remade this entire bullpen of young power arms out of nothing basically...

I was referring more to the 05 team, but you obviously can't leave Jenks out.

Takatsu, if you want to start with him, was another "scouting" discovery through video like Iguchi that

nobody else was really fighting with us to sign.

So we finally get some depth and some talent at the bullpen, and we are looking at getting rid of it. Uh no.

We need to keep every single member of our bullpen, and the associated members at Charlotte. You realize that our bullpen guys, while talented are not the picture of health. So we need to keep the depth.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
So we finally get some depth and some talent at the bullpen, and we are looking at getting rid of it. Uh no.

We need to keep every single member of our bullpen, and the associated members at Charlotte. You realize that our bullpen guys, while talented are not the picture of health. So we need to keep the depth.

I don't think he was implying that as much as cashing in on a extra commodity while it's valuable still.

Let's face it. If Boone Logan didn't make the team out of Spring Training this season, they didn't want him making the team, period. I'm sure they would deal him for a need if a deal Kenny liked came along.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)

That's what I was thinkin. Trade for what?!?...backup players.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
I just see the market as insane right now, with the steep price the Marlins paid for f***ing Jorge Julio!

the equivalent of the White Sox trading Heath Phillips for a solid reliever. Or, on a higher scale, the White Sox trading Tyler Lumsden and Daniel Cortes for the power arm of Mike MacDougal.