2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Who uses their best lefty reliever as their closer, especially when they have another guy at the backend of the pen who is right handed, was your best/most reliable reliever last season and has closer experience? How many left handed closers are there in baseball? Billy Wagner? Anyone else? When you find yourself a reliable lefty reliever you don't thrust him into the closers role, especially when he's your ONLY lefty in the pen. I hate it that I so often have trouble understanding what the hell Guillen is trying to do with this team.

BJ Ryan.

Well, we do have Sisco, but who knows what he'll bring.

I don't put much stock in what Gullien says anymore. None of it makes any sense.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
BJ Ryan.

Well, we do have Sisco, but who knows what he'll bring.

I don't put much stock in what Gullien says anymore. None of it makes any sense.

Brian Fuentes is also a lefty, I don't even count Andy Sisco as a bullpen arm, I figure he's only in the bigs so he can be kept close to Coop and pitch in blowouts, I really think they're working with a 5 man pen.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Brian Fuentes is also a lefty, I don't even count Andy Sisco as a bullpen arm, I figure he's only in the bigs so he can be kept close to Coop and pitch in blowouts, I really think they're working with a 5 man pen.

I figured you didn't count Sisco, but I wasn't sure what your angle was going to be.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 08:56 AM)
Who uses their best lefty reliever as their closer, especially when they have another guy at the backend of the pen who is right handed, was your best/most reliable reliever last season and has closer experience? How many left handed closers are there in baseball? Billy Wagner? Anyone else? When you find yourself a reliable lefty reliever you don't thrust him into the closers role, especially when he's your ONLY lefty in the pen. I hate it that I so often have trouble understanding what the hell Guillen is trying to do with this team.

I understand that he may be rusty, then wouldn't a spot on the bench, a hole lot of BP and the occasional start in LF or CF be the best situation for him and the team? Why is a rusty 32 year old who's coming off major surgery and a season in which he only had 95 ABs trying to find his batting eye as the starting centerfielder and 2 hole hitter? Why have such an unreliable hitter batting in such an important spot in the lineup? Seems pretty silly to me.

I never said him starting and batting 2nd made sense. I was just pointing out that he was rusty and despite that he still "slugged it out" ( pun intented) with BA for the starting job so I wouldnt exactly call that "unreliable." When everyone around here was assuming BA would be in the minors after Ozzie practically said as much I opined that he wouldnt. It appears Ozzie wants BA in the minors but I'd be really surprised if BA doesnt get plenty of AB's. Ozzie will show flexibility this year. If he intends to play both Pods and Erstad against lefties one of them will be at the bottom of the lineup. But realistically Pods will sit more often and Ozuna will take his AB's against lefties. Our late innings defense will be Erstad in left and BA in center. Its a long season . Brian's AB's may not come early in the season but he will get them as the season progresses. I think many of you let your man-love for BA get in the way of your objectivity. I see a lot of Erstad hate and seriously theres no reason for it. I know what his career has been like. He's a solid major leaguer , a professional hitter and above average fielder. He's going to get a lot of playing time. Accept it , he's healthy and he plays the game the way it should be played. If he was a Sox from the time he broke into baseball I guarantee he'd be a fan favorite and this site would be ecstatic over the fact that a team leader was healthy again and poised to have maybe his best year since that crazy year. You know the guy will bat .280. He will do what he has to do to move runners over. He's a lot like having another Iguchi in the lineup. He's right up there with Mackowiak as the best baserunner on the team. He'll steal a base every now and then. His D will be very solid. For all the griping around here about needing guys to stop swinging for the fences and play team ball Erstad is a shining example of just such a player. Cut the guy some slack , let him play, if he sucks you all can say I told you so but I better see some serious crow eating if he plays good. But what I imagine we'll be seeing more is unrealistic expectations and whining about every freakin' at bat where he doesnt get a hit and how every ball that goes into the gap will be one that "Brian would've had."

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Has Ozuna improved in LF at all since last year? I haven't been able to watch any ST games.

He looks about as shaky as ever out there in LF to me. I'm not sure if they guy just can't read the ball off the bat or what but it seems like he can't find the ball until it's on it's way down. That being said, I hope he's out there on Opening Day.

Contreras holds the franchise record for consecutive winning decisions at 17, ranging from Aug. 21, 2005 to July 4, 2006

That is a pretty amazing stat when you think about it.

I'd say that record will never be broken.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
In honor of Opening Day and the signings of yesterday I updated and improved the look of my Player Salary Sheet.

soxplayercontractsheetihp6.th.jpg

thats really nice.... it will come in handy when I do my usual arm-chair gm thing in the offseason :D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 03:33 AM)
In honor of Opening Day and the signings of yesterday I updated and improved the look of my Player Salary Sheet.

I always forget just how good of a deal that Sox got Konerko for. That looks like robbery right now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grinderstad is making 750K this year

Darin Erstad-OF- White Sox Jan. 25 - 1:38 pm et

Darin Erstad will be guaranteed $1 million under the terms of his deal with the White Sox.

He'll make $750,000 this year. The club option for 2008 will be worth $3.5 million and could increase to as much as $6 million if he gets 600 plate appearances this season. A $250,000 buyout is included.

according to Baseball Tonight, the last pitcher to get f***ed up as badly and quickly as Jose Contreras did today was Dave Stewart in 1995 for the A's.

I encourage all of you to not look at his season numbers.

and really, with this post, I'm just making an irrelevant yet somehow kind of connected point, just like every person comparing this team to the 2005 team. I really don't think Contreras is going to put up an ERA near 7.00.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
Grinderstad is making 750K this year

Darin Erstad-OF- White Sox Jan. 25 - 1:38 pm et

Darin Erstad will be guaranteed $1 million under the terms of his deal with the White Sox.

He'll make $750,000 this year. The club option for 2008 will be worth $3.5 million and could increase to as much as $6 million if he gets 600 plate appearances this season. A $250,000 buyout is included.

Good call.

Updated:

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7007/soxp...ctsheetiyi1.jpg

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
Does CSN still not have an HD channel for DirecTV?

edit: nvm, I just spoke with my brother, and it isn't... F! I am so pissed right now.

Edited by BearSox