2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
I could anger everybody by saying our OF hasn't been the same since the loss of ... Rowand.

I better duck on that statement.

Would everybody agree our first eight games have not been too encouraging?

f*** Aaron Rowand, seriously. Our starting pitching and bullpen (aside from Bobby) look good so far. Hopefully our 1-2 and our manager don't hold this team back.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
I could anger everybody by saying our OF hasn't been the same since the loss of ... Rowand.

I still have a great feeling about this team, 4/5 of the rotation looks good as well as 5/6 of the pen, not bad if you ask me. I really think today's loss will prevent future losses, Ozzie will learn from this mistake and the team will be better off for it which is why this loss doesn't bother me that much. I still feel good.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:31 AM)

The first 8 games have been fine. It was a tough schedule to start, and considering how awful our hitting has been, we're lucky we're not 1-7. Of course, if our hitting continues to suck, we're going to win about 70 games this year. Aaron Rowand is nothing more than a 4th/5th outfielder right now. Unless MLB changes its rules, he's not going to be good again.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:34 AM)
f*** Aaron Rowand, seriously. Our starting pitching and bullpen (aside from Bobby) look good so far. Hopefully our 1-2 and our manager don't hold this team back.

So far, our 1-2 are a significant chunk of our offense.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)

Bobby looks good. Has better control of his breaking stuff from what I've seen but he had a rough night. It happens.

Garland threw a lot more like he did in 05 than he did last year. He still left a few fatties up over the plate but he was consistently hammering the inside part of the plate against both Lefties and righties and it meant that when he did leave a fat one over the middle the hitter was less likely to club it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
Bobby looks good. Has better control of his breaking stuff from what I've seen but he had a rough night. It happens.

I'd much rather have him throwing 96+ with poor control of his breaking stuff than 91-92 with good control of his breaking stuff.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
I'd much rather have him throwing 96+ with poor control of his breaking stuff than 91-92 with good control of his breaking stuff.

Well, KW wasn't kidding when he said Masset had simliar stuff at least.

I still have a great feeling about this team, 4/5 of the rotation looks good as well as 5/6 of the pen, not bad if you ask me. I really think today's loss will prevent future losses, Ozzie will learn from this mistake and the team will be better off for it which is why this loss doesn't bother me that much. I still feel good.

That makes me feel a bit better.

I just felt our lack of bats really has made the team look lifeless.

But I hope what you say is true and comes to pass.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
That makes me feel a bit better.

I just felt our lack of bats really has made the team look lifeless.

But I hope what you say is true and comes to pass.

''I was sending a message to the guys, not to mother[bleep] them, but, hey, I'm tired of that [bleep] because we didn't play well in spring training. I'm not going to carry this thing all the way through the season. I can't handle that.''

Quote of the Day

By the way, the White Sox flew into Cleveland last night...we'll see if they stay there.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/alle...opnav_allergies

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:37 AM)
The first 8 games have been fine. It was a tough schedule to start, and considering how awful our hitting has been, we're lucky we're not 1-7. Of course, if our hitting continues to suck, we're going to win about 70 games this year. Aaron Rowand is nothing more than a 4th/5th outfielder right now. Unless MLB changes its rules, he's not going to be good again.

Philadephia fans are no longer happy with Rowand (check out this blog entry -- they even say his defense is below average). I like Aaron, but the Sox need to get a real outfielder with a real bat. It's past time for people to stop pining for Rowand.

As for the Sox, despite my pessimistic nature, this start isn't bad. The pitching has been good overall, and that's the thing I was worried about the most. Offensively, I'm stil concerned long-term about the lack of OBP in the 1 and 2 spots (and how much Dye and Crede will regress from last season). But Uribe has been adequate and that's plus (2 walks -- he's trying!).

Probably the most worrisome thing is just the level of talent in DET, CLE, and MN. Detroit's picthing has been great. Anyone that thinks 2006 was a fluke should watch Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson pitch this season. I'm not sure the Sox have a single starter that could match any of those guys. And somehow Ramon Ortiz has decided to finally live up to all his hype as a prospect like 10 years later. I know 2 starts is too soon to predict what he'll do all season, but it would be just like the Twins to somehow get a great year out of him. Grrr.

Cleveland and Minnesota have had 'talent' for years now. Only one team from the AL Central has had the ability to use the talent they've got to win it all lately though, and they don't reside in the Mistake by the Lake or the Twin Cities.\

As for pitching, I don't agree there. Pound for pound, I'd take a healthy Contreras, Javy and Buehrle anyday as well. They have been there, won the ring, know what it takes. And most people know that Javy has tons of talent, just not much in the form of mental fortitude.

But the late contributions of Dye and Konerko were enough to give the Sox a positive vibe.

"Finally," Buehrle smiled. "I've been getting on Jermaine pretty much. But he told me before the game he always picks me up, which he kind of does. When he [played for Oakland], he always hurt me. On my team, he always seems to pick me up."

Dye, who is 9-for-23 with four homers lifetime against Buehrle, was amused.

"I always tell him I own him and stuff like that," Dye said. "When he pitches, you like to do good for a guy like him. He's a good guy, a good pitcher. It just seems to work out that time and time again I seem to do something good while he's pitching."

Favorable review

Starting pitcher Mark Buehrle gave Gustavo Molina a good grade in the rookie catcher's first major-league start.

"Awesome," Buehrle said. "I didn't shake him off one time, and that's the one thing I said in spring training I wasn't worried about. For me, who doesn't shake off anybody, I need a guy who can kind of know what's going on and how I work.

"Don Cooper sat down with him, and I went over what I like to throw in certain situations. He framed the ball well. … I didn't have a problem."

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
Philadephia fans are no longer happy with Rowand (check out this blog entry -- they even say his defense is below average). I like Aaron, but the Sox need to get a real outfielder with a real bat. It's past time for people to stop pining for Rowand.

As for the Sox, despite my pessimistic nature, this start isn't bad. The pitching has been good overall, and that's the thing I was worried about the most. Offensively, I'm stil concerned long-term about the lack of OBP in the 1 and 2 spots (and how much Dye and Crede will regress from last season). But Uribe has been adequate and that's plus (2 walks -- he's trying!).

Probably the most worrisome thing is just the level of talent in DET, CLE, and MN. Detroit's picthing has been great. Anyone that thinks 2006 was a fluke should watch Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson pitch this season. I'm not sure the Sox have a single starter that could match any of those guys. And somehow Ramon Ortiz has decided to finally live up to all his hype as a prospect like 10 years later. I know 2 starts is too soon to predict what he'll do all season, but it would be just like the Twins to somehow get a great year out of him. Grrr.

Unless Contreras is 100%, we don't have anyone who can match up as a true staff ace against Verlander, Bonderman or Zumaya.

Those are three difference makers, if Jenks is healthy, he's one too...but right now, the jury is still out on both Jenks and Contreras, and Buehrle as well. I think it will take at least two months before we can make any judgments.

Sabathia, same thing. Other than that, Cleveland doesn't have any dominant pitchers.

Santana...after that, Ortiz might be their second most talented pitcher. Detroit is the team to worry about the most in the pitching department, then Minnesota, due to their bullpen.

If Garza replaces Ponson and pitches like he's capable of, and Silva holds it together for one season at under a 5.00 ERA, they'll be REALLY tough to beat.

Do you think part of the reason Uribe was so bad last year and so good in the first week or so of the season this year is because he no longer has BA behind him in the order? Now that he doesn't have an automatic out behind him in the line up, he doesn't need to press as hard.

Edited by tealeafreaderii

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Do you think part of the reason Uribe was so bad last year and so good in the first week or so of the season this year is because he no longer has BA behind him in the order? Now that he doesn't have an automatic out behind him in the line up, he doesn't need to press as hard.

That may help, but BA was actually a better hitter than Uribe in many facets for the second half of the season. Also, watching Uribe hit this year, he looks much more disciplined. He keeps his head and shoulders inside a bit longer, he lays off some bad pitches, goes the other way sometimes, and he doesn't do the Tasmanian Devil thing anymore. Plus he looks like he is in much better shape. I think Juan just came to camp in better shape and with a better approach.

Juan has shortened his swing a lot like he did during that amazing run he had the first couple of months of 2004, hence the great start (at least based on what i've seen). He's never going to walk at all, but if he can consistently keep that swing short (and thus see the ball further in and go the other way sometimes), he's a much better hitter.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
Juan has shortened his swing a lot like he did during that amazing run he had the first couple of months of 2004, hence the great start (at least based on what i've seen). He's never going to walk at all, but if he can consistently keep that swing short (and thus see the ball further in and go the other way sometimes), he's a much better hitter.

Juan has already walked twice in 7 games.

Rotoworld:

Luis Terrero hit his fourth homer in 23 at-bats for Triple-A Charlotte on Thursday.

If the White Sox can't find at-bats for Brian Anderson, maybe they'll have him and Terrero switch places soon. Terrero is likely to be just about as effective as a bench player, and Anderson would benefit from regular playing time.

Yes, this.

Isn't it kinda scary how EVERYONE outside of Ozzie and his "OK KW, if you want him on the team, he'll be here...never playing." outlook seem to know that having a 24 man roster is putting us behind the 8 ball?

I'm feeling pretty good. Why?

The pitching has been excellent. Danks looks like a real #5. The bullpen, save for Bobby's meltdown that one night, has been good.

The bats will come around soone or later. Those bats, and some bad defense, are what cost us today.

No need to panic.