2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

The pitching has been excellent. Danks looks like a real #5. The bullpen, save for Bobby's meltdown that one night, has been good.

The bats will come around soone or later. Those bats, and some bad defense, are what cost us today.

No need to panic.

Of course no need to panic but I am not impressed.

Erstad looks worse at the plate to start the year than BA did a year ago.

Or just as bad.

And Iguchi is pathetic right now.

Crede has been bad and our big bats are doing nothing with the exception of

Dye of late.

No need to panic, but we're not exactly playing good baseball.

Today we got some guys on base and not once could anybody pick up the team

and knock in a run.

I'd give us a C about now.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
Of course no need to panic but I am not impressed.

Erstad looks worse at the plate to start the year than BA did a year ago.

Or just as bad.

And Iguchi is pathetic right now.

Crede has been bad and our big bats are doing nothing with the exception of

Dye of late.

No need to panic, but we're not exactly playing good baseball.

Today we got some guys on base and not once could anybody pick up the team

and knock in a run.

I'd give us a C about now.

So, I'm sure this is the mirror image of an argument I would have made last year...but the way I see it, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko, and Jermaine Dye are not going to have horrible seasons. These guys are still going to hit 30+ home runs and drive in somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 runs even in the worst case scenario.

All 3 of them have had a habit of being poor starters at some point in their past. Konerko and Dye started slowly in 05 and before, Thome has been a legendary slow starter before last year. The offense will heat up. Iguchi and Crede certainly have the ability to improve, even though that's far less guaranteed than the other guys.

Thus far, the bullpen looks solid except for the missing fastball at the end. The starting rotation has so far looked a lot better than last year; after the first 3 games, once guys got into a groove, they've been putting up quality start after quality start, whether or not they win or finish the 6th inning. And Uribe and Podsednik have been hitting, which is an unexpected bonus.

If these hitters heat up, as they're going to unless they're hurt, and we don't lose the pitching in the process...we'll start looking a lot better. Based on the last 2 seasons, I'd much rather be worried about the offense than about the pitching. Especially with Thome, Dye, and Konerko.

Now if we could just do something about Cf...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
The Sox now have the worst team batting average in baseball at .222 and are 13th out of 14 AL teams in scoring runs with 38 (25th overall).

"We've had some games where, considering the weather, we're taking our walks and doing things right," hitting coach Greg Walker said. "The only thing we're not doing is getting a lot of hits. But these [12] games we've played, I've seen more bad swings by good hitters, not just our guys. There are a lot of teams scuffling right now. And the common-sense answer is the weather. But there might be more to it than that. We're pressing a little bit."

Doing the right thing? Okay I can give you, that driving the ball is going to be hard with the weather. But you can put the wooden bat on the ball. Watching our team strike out at such a good clip, even against Paul Bryd doesn't look like doing things right.

It must be cold all the time when we face lefties.

We cant hit lefties ever.

Numbers that won't be appearing on Greg Walker's resume
By The Cheat

Posted on Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 12:53:55 AM CDT

Presented without comment.

Since GS IP W L QS H ER HR BB K ERA

Santana (7/01/04) 14 102.1 10 2 14 61 16 10 19 109 1.41

Sabathia (5/02/06) 7 48 6 0 6 37 10 4 15 46 1.88

==========================================================================

21 150.1 16 2 20 98 26 14 34 155 1.56

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Saw those numbers this morning. Great work as always by Cheat.

I know the "Quality Start" can kinda be bulls***, but be that as it may, 20 out the last 21 starts from the Santana -Sabathia combo have been Quality Starts. Incredible.

Cheat did a great job putting that together. Someone in that thread also added some of Rodgers numbers from last year, which were in line with the Johan/CC production.

Johan is a great pitcher, CC is a good pitcher. They are not as unbeatable as we make them out to be. We basically throw up our hands, bend over, and then talk about how great they are and how no one can hit them. Then I watch the Orioles and Drays scrap some hits and runs against Johan. And I am sure that other teams will do the same against CC. We need to man up, and attempt to get something going against these lefties.

Their hands should hurt from tipping their cap so much.

Well the weather should be fine this weak, and we are going up against the 28th ranked pitching in baseball. If they get shut down this series, its time to come up with another excuse because cold weather, and other associated poo wont work.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
Well the weather should be fine this weak, and we are going up against the 28th ranked pitching in baseball. If they get shut down this series, its time to come up with another excuse because cold weather, and other associated poo wont work.

If we truly do see an offensive explosion, I expect a wave of momentum to carry us through the next few series.

The freezing cold 55/42/43 estimated game time temps should benefit the team that has played in these conditions right......

The excuse will be the Sox are completely frozen by the sub-arctic air and they are more worse for the wear as oppossed to the Rangers who have not yet frozen up and are therefore simply chilled.

Check out our lines against Millwood and Padilla the last couple of years. If we tip the ole cap in game one getting swept is really possible.

Funny how Josh Barfield and Andy Marte can homer in the cold but Crede, AJ and Erstad can get a pass for being beyond inept.

Imagine the excuses if the Sox lost three home dates to neutral site and didn't play for four days. They would get a pass for being no-hit for he next week due to the time off and chilly weather.

"Oh, yeah. I've said from Day 1 that we are here to prove Kenny right," Danks explained. "We want to make Kenny look good, that he made a good trade. Not only do we want to make him look good, but we want to make [the trade] a steal."
link

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
Is Jordan a first round lock at this point?

As far as the 2008 draft goes, Jordan is looking like a high first round pick but anything could change between then and now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
It doesn't matter. he's ineligible for the draft until '08, I believe.

I do believe this to be the case.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
It doesn't matter. he's ineligible for the draft until '08, I believe.

Ah, I didnt know that. We picked him in the 19th last time i believe, but he fell because he wasnt supposed to sign. With his performance in college I figured he would be high up, but I wasnt sure if it was first round.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Chris Rongey is on Chicago Tribune Live right now, in case you haven't gotten your daily dose of idiocy.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, but I can NOT listen to his post game stuff and the White Sox Weekly show. He rambles on and on so much. He needs to bang out callers like Wills did and keep his thoughts short and to the point.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Chris Rongey is on Chicago Tribune Live right now, in case you haven't gotten your daily dose of idiocy.

FYI, before he got the job, it was well known in his social circle that he knew nothing about sports epecially baseball, he just has a good radio voice. To top that off, hes a cubs fan.