2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since its been talked about often lately in game threads in chat, here is an interesting note on personnel development in the organization (from the Trib):

Brian Porter, the Sox's assistant director of player development, is resigning to take a job with the commissioner's office. Porter's new duties will include assisting with the major-league draft.

One wonders if KW is maybe purging and reseting some of his player development staff. Could be, or it could just be an isolated thing.

I like the fact a lot of guys are contributing. That helps build a real "team."

i.e. Mack got the big homer the other night and Erstad even a big contribution as well.

Then the studs, Dye and Konerko get the winning hits in the 10th.

Lots of contributions which is key to building a winning team.

I feel a lot better than when our bats were totally slumbering. GO SOX.

I hope there is enough time left in the season to make up the .5 game lead that the Orioles have on us in the wild card race.

Understand the sarcasm, but does anybody really believe this team is anything but a

.500 to .540 type win percentage team?

It is impossible to finish with a .540 win percentage if the team plays a full 162 game schedule. It's kind of funny because a .500 Win% will get you an 81-81 record, a .543 win% is 88-74. 2 totally different types of teams. Big difference between breaking even and finishing 14 games over.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
Understand the sarcasm, but does anybody really believe this team is anything but a

.500 to .540 type win percentage team?

I believe this team has all the pieces on it to win a world series. Whether those pieces produce and stay healthy like they can is another question. Just like last years team had enough talent to win the Series (as did the 2003 Sox club...or at least I think it was 03 when they had Everett, Alomar, Colon, Loiaza, Buehrle, etc) this years club does as well (the talent in the rotation and pen is there, will the production be there?? and this team does have a pretty talented line-up).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
I believe this team has all the pieces on it to win a world series. Whether those pieces produce and stay healthy like they can is another question. Just like last years team had enough talent to win the Series (as did the 2003 Sox club...or at least I think it was 03 when they had Everett, Alomar, Colon, Loiaza, Buehrle, etc) this years club does as well (the talent in the rotation and pen is there, will the production be there?? and this team does have a pretty talented line-up).

Ya, that. I absolutely love this bullpen and if you have a bullpen like we do, you can make a lot of noise.

And yes, it was the 03 team you're thinking of. I think that year haunted most before 05, because that team WAS the most talented in baseball that year.

Interesting fact:

As bad of offensive player Brian Anderson was last year, his OBP matched the career OBP of his manager. In fact it was a little higher than the OBP his manager posted in 1997 when at the end of the season he was replaced and things got a little ugly.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 07:51 AM)
Interesting fact:

As bad of offensive player Brian Anderson was last year, his OBP matched the career OBP of his manager. In fact it was a little higher than the OBP his manager posted in 1997 when at the end of the season he was replaced and things got a little ugly.

Can you tell me a little about the situation when Guillen was replaced? Was it a contract year? Was he traded? How'd he take it? What'd he say? What'd management say?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
Can you tell me a little about the situation when Guillen was replaced? Was it a contract year? Was he traded? How'd he take it? What'd he say? What'd management say?

Ozzie had an club option for $2-3 million IIRC. Schueler was the GM and let it be known that the Ozzeroo was history. Ozzie had a lot of bad things to say about the White Sox. Pretty much the same things that triggered him to say awful things about Magglio.

I was going to say this in the Buehrle no-hitter thread, but it got moved as I was typing.

Wow, first no-hitter in 5 years for the AL? All the more impressive for Buehrle, considering the powerhouse offenses of the American League. Hell, the team he did it against are perennially great on offense.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
Ozzie had an club option for $2-3 million IIRC. Schueler was the GM and let it be known that the Ozzeroo was history. Ozzie had a lot of bad things to say about the White Sox. Pretty much the same things that triggered him to say awful things about Magglio.

I thought Magglio calling Ozzie his "enemy" was what triggered Ozzie to go nuts? :P

Why didn't Schueler want Ozzie around? Caruso?

And what'd he say -- "the team is cheap," "they don't treat people right"?

LIKE APPLES? As of Saturday, the two pitchers the Sox traded this offseason -- Freddy Garcia and Brandon McCarthy -- are a combined 1-4 with a 9.15 ERA. What the Sox got back in return on their 25-man roster is John Danks and Nick Masset, a combined 1-2 with a 4.67 ERA.

But if you factor in the minor-league seasons of Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez, who came in the Garcia trade, the four new Sox arms are a combined 5-3 with a 3.13 ERA.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 11:12 PM)
The WHIP sucks, but an ERA of 2.50 in that ballpark with a K/9 of 8.5 is impressive.

He had that one game where he gave up about 12 hits and a couple walks, too. I just want to see good peripherals starting to form by mid-June, specifically K/9, BB/9 and, if he truly is a pitcher suited for the Cell, a good GB/FB ratio.