2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
For Matsuzaka, "#4/#5 starter"=bustbustbust.
True, for what he will be paid and all the media attention.

Hell, Rotoworld says due to his good peripherals he is a legit #1 or #2. That is hard to see. All he has is a lot of strikeouts, but there are a ton of reasons why he is getting them (new to league, lack of scouting report, first time thru the league, etc).

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)
For Matsuzaka, "#4/#5 starter"=bustbustbust.

I think most realistic baseball people knew he'd have some problems over here. His offspeed stuff is awesome, but he has an average (at best) fastball which major league hitters simply knock the tar out of.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 13, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
True, for what he will be paid and all the media attention.

Hell, Rotoworld says due to his good peripherals he is a legit #1 or #2. That is hard to see. All he has is a lot of strikeouts, but there are a ton of reasons why he is getting them (new to league, lack of scouting report, first time thru the league, etc).

Well, according to that logic, Javy Vazquez is a legit 1 or 2 than too. Is anyone going to agree with that statement?

not killing the messenger, just so you know

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 13, 2007 -> 05:34 AM)
For all that's gone wrong with him, I still feel bad for the guy. We still don't win it all in 05 without him.

Pods is a good leadoff guy, but Erstad has done well in his place. Do you suppose when Pods gets back he gets dropped in the lineup like to 8th or 9th?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 13, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Well, according to that logic, Javy Vazquez is a legit 1 or 2 than too. Is anyone going to agree with that statement?

not killing the messenger, just so you know

Well, Javy does have the stuff to be a no. 1 or 2.......... :bang

QUOTE(BearSox @ May 14, 2007 -> 03:31 AM)
Well, Javy does have the stuff to be a no. 1 or 2..........

He's had the stuff to be a number one or a two for his whole career. What's that gotten him? A career ERA of 4.33 (105 ERA+) pitching over 75% of his career innings in the NL. Don't get me wrong, I think he's primed for a year of a 4.00ish ERA, but expecting him to ever pitch like an ace again for a whole season is quite foolish.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 14, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
Hmm, it seems Mr. Thome is a little bit behind on the rehab schedule they tried to set last week. Starts a rehab assignment today, will miss the Cubs series.

Not a huge deal, since the DH is not available in an NL park. A lefty bat off the bench would be nice, but not if it meant rushing Jim back.

If all goes well he should be back for Oakland at USCF next Monday.

QUOTE(knightni @ May 13, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
Today, his stuff sure smelled like no. 2.

Actually more like a #3 (1 + 2).

On another note, BP's 5 highest VORP ratings for Sox positional players (hilarious and sad at the same time):

Thome - 13.9

Uribe - 4.5

Pierzynski - 3.5

Terrero - 1.8

Podsednik - 1.8

Crede is 11th from the bottom of the entire MLB listing with a VORP of -6.6

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)

On another note, BP's 5 highest VORP ratings for Sox positional players (hilarious and sad at the same time):

Thome - 13.9

Uribe - 4.5

Pierzynski - 3.5

Terrero - 1.8

Podsednik - 1.8

Crede is 11th from the bottom of the entire MLB listing with a VORP of -6.6

it is not only impressive but almost unbelievable that this team is 2 over .500 with the way we have hit this year, and have done that against the 5th toughest schedule in the league.....if we continue to pitch and if we can come around to hit even like we did in 05, we will be on the list of the two best teams in baseball

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 14, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)

Thome - 13.9

Uribe - 4.5

mlbtraderumors.com mentioned that the Sox would likely decline Uribe's $5MM club option for 2008. I don't understand that at all. I mean Uribe isn't a great player, but he does play GG-caliber defense and can hit 20 HRs a year. And who would replace him? Don't anyone say ARod...it's not going to happen.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ May 15, 2007 -> 11:30 PM)
mlbtraderumors.com mentioned that the Sox would likely decline Uribe's $5MM club option for 2008. I don't understand that at all. I mean Uribe isn't a great player, but he does play GG-caliber defense and can hit 20 HRs a year. And who would replace him? Don't anyone say ARod...it's not going to happen.

You see your first mistake was going to mlbtraderumors.com your second mistake was believing a single word you read on the site. I guarantee you the White Sox pick up Uribe's option. There ain't a chance in hell they don't. He's an incredibly valuable ballplayer no matter what some people may think. He's well worth the $5M and KW knows this.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 15, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
You see your first mistake was going to mlbtraderumors.com your second mistake was believing a single word you read on the site. I guarantee you the White Sox pick up Uribe's option. There ain't a chance in hell they don't. He's an incredibly valuable ballplayer no matter what some people may think. He's well worth the $5M and KW knows this.

Exactly. On the open market Juan is probably looking at the 6-7 million dollar range, for 3-4 years.

Ozzie on Toby:

'He got better, but our Triple-A manager said he's not ready to go,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''We're going to play him away the next couple of days to see if he's getting better, then we will make the decision. He will make the lineup better, but he's not Johnny Bench. He's a pretty good hitter and he will help this lineup, and hopefully he'll be here soon.''

Why does Ozzie always have to include lines like this? What does he gain by saying his guys are not comparable to some of the best in the history of the game? Um no s*** Ozzie. He seems to do this constantly and I have no idea why. When comparing Toby Hall to Gustavo Molina, he might just be Johnny Bench.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Ozzie on Toby:

Why does Ozzie always have to include lines like this? What does he gain by saying his guys are not comparable to some of the best in the history of the game? Um no s*** Ozzie. He seems to do this constantly and I have no idea why. When comparing Toby Hall to Gustavo Molina, he might just be Johnny Bench.

Johnny Bench sucks now.

On a serious note, it looks like Gooch has had a sprained finger since April 8th. Obviously if that is the case, the injury would affect his swing.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 16, 2007 -> 09:09 AM)
Johnny Bench sucks now.

On a serious note, it looks like Gooch has had a sprained finger since April 8th. Obviously if that is the case, the injury would affect his swing.

so why the f*** wouldn't he get some extra time off?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Ozzie on Toby:

C'mon now...Ozzie's mouth has ALWAYS worked faster than his brain. This was also during his playing days. He's a motormouth...and add that to the fact that English isn't his first language, things like this happen. Big deal, I don't think Toby's down in Charlotte pouting to himself in front of his locker saying, "DAMMIT! And I thought I WAS Johnny Bench."

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 16, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
C'mon now...Ozzie's mouth has ALWAYS worked faster than his brain. This was also during his playing days. He's a motormouth...and add that to the fact that English isn't his first language, things like this happen. Big deal, I don't think Toby's down in Charlotte pouting to himself in front of his locker saying, "DAMMIT! And I thought I WAS Johnny Bench."

So he continues to make comments like this because his english isn't that good? It has nothing to do with hurting Toby's feelings I just don't get why he continues to say these things. It seems every time he talks about a player who is not around the team he goes out and compares them to one of the greatest of all time. I really don't think this is a case of Ozzie not thinking while he's talking, these are premeditated comments and he continues to make them. It's not a big deal like you're making it out to seem, I just don't get it.

Gustavo Molina is quite possibly the worst hitter in the history of Major League baseball, seriously. Considering how effective Hall is against lefties his presence in the lineup would be HUGE.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ May 16, 2007 -> 10:21 AM)

For the record, I agree with you 100%.