2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

I'm copying this post about getting some answers and info about scouting and drafting from yesterdays game thread because the game threads fall off so here it is. First 3 paragraphs are flash tizzle and my response is after -

It doesn't do much posting on a message board, but I believe you're underestimating the people who browse Soxtalk. If the issue is continually brought up, as it has been recently, more and more fans and other guests are exposed to our thoughts. Perhaps they'll wonder whether we're right and research it themselves.

I'll admit "pressure" in this instance doesn't mean much. But it just seems our failures in developing talent has continually been overlooked. Well, now -- in this division, with these teams -- our future depends upon it. Other teams within the division just have more talented players both on their current rosters, and within their systems.

My suggestion? Bring up the issue at Soxfest. Or when writing to Mark Gonzalez, among other writers. Perhaps when calling into Chris Ronge's post game show. Our future depends upon the production from within the system, and judging from the reaction of the media, you wouldn't hardly know.

Fair enough. You never can tell what gets picked up and who reads what.

The issue does get raised at the Fest in fact that's when Williams made his quote you have in your posts. In fact it gets raised a lot at Sox Fest and has for a few years. In my opinion the post game radio show is for goofs calling in and a bad call screener. An interview with the guys who do the drafting and beat the bushes seems the best for getting info out to lots of interested people. Knowing how personable some of those people are in Tucson at spring training, hey they would do it Im sure, maybe put the pressure on the good people who run this very nice site you have here.

I notice you are the main guy beating the drum on this and that is great, so why don't you drop a line to those in charge of such matters at 35th and Shields and set something up or use your pull here to get one of the owners to do it?

Oh and also maybe one of the chief instructional guys can tell us about things too, there is a guy on here who rips on Greg Walker every day maybe he can get an interview with those in charge to tell all us nonbaseball insiders exactly what a hitting coach does, what does a baserunning coach do etc. on a daily basis. It would be educational. Maybe it would be better to hear it directly instead of saying the same thing on a messaage board every day, not meant to yank anybodys chain here but it would be educational to hear what they have to say.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one made my day. The Sox website tried to make a positive story about how Crede was the Sox leading All-Star vote getter and how he is currently in 5th in the AL 3B voting. I just found that to be pretty funny in light of how bad all the Sox hitters have been. That had a Royal-esque feel to it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
There was a cubs scout at the game against the yanks yesterday. i wonder who he was looking at?

I would love to take Matt Murton off their hands. He would make a nice number 2 hitter in the future.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
The sad thing is that he might be our second best OF right now.

Theres not many things that Jones can do that MackoWack doesnt do for us. He may hit with a bit more power, but thats it.

Murton would be really nice. Deep down I wish it was Big Z

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 11:05 AM)
I would love to take Matt Murton off their hands. He would make a nice number 2 hitter in the future.

I'll take Derrek Lee and we'll find somewhere for him to play. ;) Not only is he a terrific player but you know...he's like the one mentally stable guy in that locker room.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 11:17 AM)
Theres not many things that Jones can do that MackoWack doesnt do for us. He may hit with a bit more power, but thats it.

Murton would be really nice. Deep down I wish it was Big Z

The only problem with Murton is if you have to put a glove on his left hand. He's as brutal an OF as there is. His bat is nice, and I think if he played regularly would even be nicer.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 12:58 PM)
Does anyone know a site that has stats for inherited runners for relief pitchers?

The ESPN player's pages have IR/IS statistics in the Miscellaneous Pitching box at the bottom of the stats screen. For example MacDougal has inherited 22 runners this year and only 6 have scored.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
The ESPN player's pages have IR/IS statistics in the Miscellaneous Pitching box at the bottom of the stats screen. For example MacDougal has inherited 22 runners this year and only 6 have scored.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

On Thursday, the Phils will try to restock their Minor League cupboard and seek their next Cole Hamels or Chase Utley. But for every star is a Gavin Floyd, who disappointed and was traded -- something the Phillies hope to avoid during the First-Year Player Draft.

From the Phillies main page. Ha!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
From the Phillies main page. Ha!

On a completely unrelated note, so far, tonight:

Charlotte

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Floyd 5.0 4 0 0 0 4 0 3.90

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
On a completely unrelated note, so far, tonight:

Charlotte

Player IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Floyd 5.0 4 0 0 0 4 0 3.90

Floyd's peripherals are still atrocious. Look at that WHIP even just from tonight.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
Floyd's peripherals are still atrocious. Look at that WHIP even just from tonight.

Yeah, but Gage said he's been looking better. Not that I trust Jason.

I don't want to sound like an asshole but I don't care what anyone says about how someone "looks," be it Kenny Williams or Jason Gage or Rosie O'Donnell. Anybody with that WHIP in the International League coupled with the track record Floyd's got has absolutely no short-term future in the American League and they probably have no long-term future in baseball. Gavin Floyd is a bust.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 5, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
I don't want to sound like an asshole but I don't care what anyone says about how someone "looks," be it Kenny Williams or Jason Gage or Rosie O'Donnell. Anybody with that WHIP in the International League coupled with the track record Floyd's got has absolutely no short-term future in the American League and they probably have no long-term future in baseball. Gavin Floyd is a bust.

I can't argue with you there although he does have great stuff. Of course, it doesn't matter if you cannot find the plate.

My biggest issue with Floyd is the character. He's got NO balls! Have you ever seen an interview with the guy? Way too timid- "nice" guy if you will- no heart. You wonder if KW ever looked at that before giving away Garcia for a cupcake. I want a guy in there who wants to rip your heart out standing on the mound. I never got even a HAIR of a feeling like that from Floyd...I dont think he wants it enough.