2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball, beauty, and life.

Glen Dunn in Chi-town baby - Southside!: My best friend and I are die-hard Sox fans. Albert Belle, who had bad-mouthed Chicago when he left, came to town and happened to be playing right field. Loyal fan and dedicated heckler that I am, I moved down to the seats along the first base line. I began crying out "ALBERT" in my best deranged second-grade school-girl shrill, lingering on the "AL" syllable and shredding the "BERT" until fans started moving away from me. I did this for seven innings, constantly, but louder whenever the ball came into play in his area. He had one error, three strikeouts and generally looked pissed off. I made direct eye contact on no less than three occasions, each time rising from my seat to cry "ALBERT" with my butt cheeks a-la Ace Ventura style. Do you have a breath mint?

The touching thing about this story is that I lost my voice after the stretch. When Albert took the field in the top of the ninth, with the Sox clinging to a one-run lead, I couldn't muster any sound at all. I will never forget the face of this six-year old boy, sitting with his father, who stared with horror as a faint scratching sound whisped from my mouth. At that moment, the kid stood up in his seat, pumped his fist in the air, and screamed "ALLLL-BERT" with all his muster, over and over again. Sox lost, but I'll never forget the kid - he was a true fan, through and through.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, it probably will...

Cintron finds his cowboy apparel in elbow

Darin Erstad, Scott Podsednik and Alex Cintron, all recovering from surgery, have been given permission to participate in workouts with the pitchers and catchers starting Saturday in Tucson, Ariz.

Cintron underwent surgery in December to remove bone spurs in his right elbow. Cintron could play a bigger role this season if shortstop Juan Uribe's legal matters in his native Dominican Republic aren't resolved.

Not big news, but it is newsworthy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)
Now starting at SS for Your Chicago White Sox

Pablo Ozuna

:crying:

Yep, Uribe and Pods are huge question marks this year. I'm just thankful we didn't find it necessary to try and upgrade at our two weakest starting spots.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)

"If rookie Chris Stewart sticks as a third catcher, Guillen can use Hall and Pierzynski regularly to rest Thome or as pinch hitters."

Little does SI know, but Chris Stewart was traded earlier in the offseason to the Rangers.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
"If rookie Chris Stewart sticks as a third catcher, Guillen can use Hall and Pierzynski regularly to rest Thome or as pinch hitters."

Little does SI know, but Chris Stewart was traded earlier in the offseason to the Rangers.

That wouldn't say a whole lot for the White Sox if he was able to make the team despite not even being in the organization!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 04:38 PM)
So Vazquez wasn't solid last year I take it?

I think it's getting to the point where you just need to let it go, it's not worth it anymore. I've had to do this with a few subjects over the years, it just reaches the point where you're never going to be able to get to everyone so it's going to pop up almost daily.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 06:30 PM)
I think it's getting to the point where you just need to let it go, it's not worth it anymore. I've had to do this with a few subjects over the years, it just reaches the point where you're never going to be able to get to everyone so it's going to pop up almost daily.

I did say I was going to be a broken record about it. Maybe said record got thrown in the garbage

People are ridiculous. I think the only reason people hate Vazquez is not because he was so ungodly inconsistent last year, but rather because he was the only pitcher who was not a constant in the rotation between 2005 and 2006. I loved 2005 as much as any Sox fan, but at some point rose colored glasses have to be taken off.

I probably will, just cuz I'm getting sick of it. I still think I'm going to have a great manlove sig made for me though of him. It will be amazing.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
I did say I was going to be a broken record about it. Maybe said record got thrown in the garbage

People are ridiculous. I think the only reason people hate Vazquez is not because he was so ungodly inconsistent last year, but rather because he was the only pitcher who was not a constant in the rotation between 2005 and 2006. I loved 2005 as much as any Sox fan, but at some point rose colored glasses have to be taken off.

I probably will, just cuz I'm getting sick of it. I still think I'm going to have a great manlove sig made for me though of him. It will be amazing.

The fact that he was traded for Chris Young has not helped matters either.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:04 PM)
The fact that he was traded for Chris Young has not helped matters either.

No it doesn't, and Anderson being a complete POS for April and May last year hurt matters even more.

He was brought in to be the 5th starter, but with the upside to be a top 5 pitcher in the MLB. People are pissed because he cost so much both in terms of players and in salary. However, I'm still further frustrated by the fact that people can't accept that Young hasn't proven a damn thing in the majors yet, and that they are so willing to just completely give Vazquez away while keeping Garcia, when both the business and baseball sides of the ball suggest keeping Vazquez over Garcia.

I'm done talking Vazquez for a while. I've done it waaaaaaaaaaaay to much in the past week, so I'll only just mention his name from time to time until the predictions for the 2007 season come up, upon which he's going to receive an insane amount of slurpage from me.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
No it doesn't, and Anderson being a complete POS for April and May last year hurt matters even more.

He was brought in to be the 5th starter, but with the upside to be a top 5 pitcher in the MLB. People are pissed because he cost so much both in terms of players and in salary. However, I'm still further frustrated by the fact that people can't accept that Young hasn't proven a damn thing in the majors yet, and that they are so willing to just completely give Vazquez away while keeping Garcia, when both the business and baseball sides of the ball suggest keeping Vazquez over Garcia.

I'm done talking Vazquez for a while. I've done it waaaaaaaaaaaay to much in the past week, so I'll only just mention his name from time to time until the predictions for the 2007 season come up, upon which he's going to receive an insane amount of slurpage from me.

What's really starting to bother me is the closemindedness some are displaying when talking about Vazquez' stats, they're only looking at his W/L record and ERA while ignoring the 50 other stats that are out there, most of which look pretty good in Javy's case.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
We need a Spring Training Catch All this year. The Sox Ps and Cs report tomorrow, right? Up in Milwaukee, I don't hear enough Sox talk... :crying

Yeah this kind of upsets me, apparently the pitchers and catchers report on the 16th (tomorrow) even though an article on whitesox.com claimed they report on the 17th (Saturday) so my sig has been providing people with false information all week.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
Yeah this kind of upsets me, apparently the pitchers and catchers report on the 16th (tomorrow) even though an article on whitesox.com claimed they report on the 17th (Saturday) so my sig has been providing people with false information all week.

You're a horrible person.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 15, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)

Offensively Anderson was a POS all season. Yes, his splits improved and yes I was one of his biggest defenders but the guy was absolutely horrific at half of the game (the offensive half). There haven't been many rookies I've seen look that bad for that long of a stretch (well at least not ones with all that supposed talent).

The guy had completely no clue what he was doing at the plate and even late in the season when his average went up he still looked pretty ugly up there.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
Offensively Anderson was a POS all season. Yes, his splits improved and yes I was one of his biggest defenders but the guy was absolutely horrific at half of the game (the offensive half). There haven't been many rookies I've seen look that bad for that long of a stretch (well at least not ones with all that supposed talent).

The guy had completely no clue what he was doing at the plate and even late in the season when his average went up he still looked pretty ugly up there.

I agree - he looked overmatched at the plate, and has a long swing. I don't know if he's trying to kill the ball rather than just make contact.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)

You trying to start a ruckus? :P

I can't wait til baseball.

It's not clear whether it was a lowball offer or whether this changes anything but looks like Buehrle turned down an extension offer at the break last year. I guess he didn't see his awful second half in the near future. Then again, maybe he saw this offseason's contracts on the horizon.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle revealed Friday that he turned down a contract extension from the White Sox around last season's All-Star break.

The left-hander, who went 12-13 with a 4.99 ERA in 2006, did not disclose the terms of the offer but it's believed to have been for three years.

Buehrle said his agent reviewed the contract with him but turned down the offer on the pitcher's behalf. Buehrle is scheduled to make $9.5 million and will be a free agent after the season is over.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Edited by maggliopipe