2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
My comment my tounge and cheek. Next time I will put it in green so cub fans such as yourself can take it with a grain of salt.

He hit over 300 in the IL last year. How much more polish does Fields need at the AAA level. He is what he is. Its time to see if he can hack it at this level, and that involves a long hard look at the kid. See if they can fix the holes in his swing, and see if he can adjust. The quotes about Mack and Gonzales getting more time at third were Ozzies.

Aren't you the one who's always all over the hitting approach on our team and the swings and Walker and now you're talking about Fields not needing more polish? First of all, the IL sucks. Second, his approach is obviously bad.

Who says he isn't going to get a good look? Ozzie just said something to motivate him, and if he meant it -- that Fields had better hit better or Mack/Gonzo would play for him -- then so be it.

And even if your comment was tongue in cheek, I'll bet you meant it. There are so many people here who jump all over Ozzie as a racist or having racist preferences, and judging from your comments, you meant it.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
After yesterday, the Sox are no longer just the lowest scoring team in the AL. They've undertaken the Nats to become the lowest-scoring team in all of baseball. :gosox1:

Are you going off runs per game? They've been in dead last in total runs for a while.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
Aren't you the one who's always all over the hitting approach on our team and the swings and Walker and now you're talking about Fields not needing more polish? First of all, the IL sucks. Second, his approach is obviously bad.

Who says he isn't going to get a good look? Ozzie just said something to motivate him, and if he meant it -- that Fields had better hit better or Mack/Gonzo would play for him -- then so be it.

And even if your comment was tongue in cheek, I'll bet you meant it. There are so many people here who jump all over Ozzie as a racist or having racist preferences, and judging from your comments, you meant it.

Fields has a swing that needs some work. But who exactly in the minors is going to help him. If he is doing well and hitting well against the IL then what exactly do you think is the benefit of keeping him down there. We need to fire Walker, get a new hitting coach that can start with our young ins and help them out. I want to see Fields with either some repairs with his swing, or him figured out as a bust. But I dont want to see Mack at 3rd with Gonzales because we are afraid of seeing what we have. I would have loved to have seen what Walt Hrniak would of done with Brian Anderson has year. All of our prospects have the same hole in their swing when they come up. Its not being fixed in the minors, and still they are doing well. Bring them up here, let them take their lumps this year while the season isnt on the line and move forward. I would rather they learn how to hit this year, then in a year when we are playing for something.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
Who was the last Sox prospect to come up and immediately contribute (hitting) for an extended period of time?

Does it count if when he came up, it was with another team? If not, I think we have to go back to Maggs/C Lee/Jeff Abbott Era

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Fields has a swing that needs some work. But who exactly in the minors is going to help him. If he is doing well and hitting well against the IL then what exactly do you think is the benefit of keeping him down there. We need to fire Walker, get a new hitting coach that can start with our young ins and help them out. I want to see Fields with either some repairs with his swing, or him figured out as a bust. But I dont want to see Mack at 3rd with Gonzales because we are afraid of seeing what we have. I would have loved to have seen what Walt Hrniak would of done with Brian Anderson has year. All of our prospects have the same hole in their swing when they come up. Its not being fixed in the minors, and still they are doing well. Bring them up here, let them take their lumps this year while the season isnt on the line and move forward. I would rather they learn how to hit this year, then in a year when we are playing for something.

I have said this before in other posts, I would love to see the Sox bring Walt Hriniak out of the cobwebs. It shouldn't be shocking if a prospect is not hitting here if they were not tearing it up in the minors. That said, our hitting mentality needs some re-thinking.

The Dodgers just fired Eddy Murray their hitting coach. I wonder why they did that, because hitting coaches dont do anything and pretty much only benefit a team. They have veteran hitters who know how to hit. He had success last year as they lead the NL in on base percentage and hit .276. Dont they flip their baseball cards and see what it says last year. Maybe he didnt inform him about the perfect storm. So it must be a mistake that they fired him.

How can they fire him. He doesnt do anything.

"Change is never easy, but sometimes it is necessary, and we feel that this is the best thing right now to help the team win," Dodgers manager Grady Little said in a club statement. "Our offense hasn't lived up to our expectations, and no one person is responsible for the results we've had this season. I have the utmost respect for Eddie Murray as a person and as a professional, and I wish him nothing but the best."

"Bill Mueller will serve as a very solid bridge as we look for our next hitting coach," said Colletti. "He already has a great reputation within the clubhouse, and he has a very deep knowledge of our team and the rest of the league."

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
The Dodgers just fired Eddy Murray their hitting coach. I wonder why they did that, because hitting coaches dont do anything and pretty much only benefit a team. They have veteran hitters who know how to hit. He had success last year as they lead the NL in on base percentage and hit .276. Dont they flip their baseball cards and see what it says last year. Maybe he didnt inform him about the perfect storm. So it must be a mistake that they fired him.

How can they fire him. He doesnt do anything.

This is Murray's second time getting fired mid season as a hitting coach. If you are reading KW, I am going to recommend we not replace Murray with Walker.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
This is Murray's second time getting fired mid season as a hitting coach. If you are reading KW, I am going to recommend we not replace Murray with Walker.

I wouldn't hire Murray if you told me he was for free.

But I think its funny that he gets canned for his team hitting 30 points more than our team in a pitching park, hitting 39 more doubles than our team, and more than a 100 hits more than our team. And we have a DH.

Murray gets fired, our coach gets promotional pieces about how he is the best in the world and you cant possibly fire him.

"Change is never easy, but sometimes it is necessary, and we feel that this is the best thing right now to help the team win," White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said in a club statement. "Our offense hasn't lived up to our expectations, and no one person is responsible for the results we've had this season. I have the utmost respect for Greg Walker as a person and as a professional, and I wish him nothing but the best."

That sounds about right.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
I don't pay enough attention anymore. I assume you made that quote up?

"Change is never easy, but sometimes it is necessary, and we feel that this is the best thing right now to help the team win," Dodgers manager Grady Little said in a club statement. "Our offense hasn't lived up to our expectations, and no one person is responsible for the results we've had this season. I have the utmost respect for Eddie Murray as a person and as a professional, and I wish him nothing but the best."

I used to not care who the White Sox faced, so when people would say, "Phew, we miss Santana this series.", I didn't care cuz I usually wanted to see the Sox go up against the best pitchers because that is how you get better as a team.

But now it is a 180 and now I am saying, "Phew, thank God we are missing Gorzelanny."

I used to defend this team when people said, "Oh, the players don't care," blah blah, but not anymore, because Ozzie's saying it in the media (see his recent Walker comments), it's become obvious from looking at them and I was told a little more about it recently by a few good sources.

I'd say a fourth of this team, at least, has to go.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
I used to defend this team when people said, "Oh, the players don't care," blah blah, but not anymore, because Ozzie's saying it in the media (see his recent Walker comments), it's become obvious from looking at them and I was told a little more about it recently by a few good sources.

I don't think it has anything to due with "caring". Maybe a little bit, I guess, but this is just a mediocre team. We're starting bench players at two outfield spots, not to mention a SS who is hitting around .200. As of yesterday our bullpen contained to AAA pitchers in Prinz and Bukvich. Combine all that with the fact that the "big boppers" on offense are all (except Thome) having 10th percentile type years, and vwala!

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Combine all that with the fact that the "big boppers" on offense are all (except Thome) having 10th percentile type years, and vwala!

That fact is what suggests to a lot of people that they don't care.