2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
WRONG!

I think when Kalapse comes out with his final formula you will see that you need to be a little white guy to be a grinder. Castillo and Ichiro end in vowels. Sounds foreign to me.

:(

wait are you trying to say that black people can't be grinders? you know Jesse Jackson will disagree with this formula

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
I'm enjoying DJ and Singleton together.

Just saying.

I can't lie, it was sort of....refreshing?....to hear someone there besides Hawk for once. I know thats sacreligious and all, but DJ doing play-by-play gives him something to do, and having 2 players from our era up there talking baseball really made me feel alot more at home with the info being discussed.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:59 AM)
I can't lie, it was sort of....refreshing?....to hear someone there besides Hawk for once. I know thats sacreligious and all, but DJ doing play-by-play gives him something to do, and having 2 players from our era up there talking baseball really made me feel alot more at home with the info being discussed.

Well, what I enjoyed was DJ asking Chris questions to get him involved and he played off that. DJ with Hawk throws something in and Hawk goes off on some tangent of his own. I still like to hear Hawk though, but as you said it was nice for one time to get something different.

With Hawk there, its kinda like DJ knows his role isn't to do much other than be comic relief between stories of Carl Yazstremski, Hawk's golf scores, and Hawkisms. When he gets to take the lead role, he did a real good job working Singleton into the conversation with references to both of their careers, Singleton's experiences in the minors with the coaching staffs, etc.

no offense to neal cotts here, but this made me lol this morning out of rosenbloom's blog:

But I love Piniella's honesty on Neal Cotts. Asked what he sees in Cotts, Piniella said, "I see he gives up runs every time he pitches." Piniella's comments came on a day when Cotts gave up two earned runs and two hits in one inning while David Aardsma, the pitcher the Cubs traded to the Sox for Cotts, pitched a scoreless inning in relief.

It seems to me like Singleton must have worked on his skills over the off season. I think he will be fine. There were times last year where Farmer would hang him out to dry so badly, that it would make me uncomfortable.

Now, I must confess, I would have led the fire DJ club 4-5 years ago. I now think DJ is a homerun call away from being an excellent play by play man. He does a great job on the Fox games, and he has really improved. I love Hawk. It will be a sad day for me when Hawk retires. When he does, I think DJ will be a fine play by play man. We need to come up with a homerun call for DJ. DJ and Singleton sounded fine to me. I'd like to see how DJ and Farmer work together on TV.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
I personally thought that the Freddy Garcia trade would initially bank on how hard he was throwing in the spring. If he regained his velocity after a full offseason, big mistake; if not, then not.

I'm really interested to see how he does in the NL.

He will dominate it. The NL is teh suck!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 12:43 PM)
I personally thought that the Freddy Garcia trade would initially bank on how hard he was throwing in the spring. If he regained his velocity after a full offseason, big mistake; if not, then not.

I'm really interested to see how he does in the NL.

it was Buehrle or Garcia.

Ok so I think I'm on to something here. In this sample we have skin tone swatches of 3 of the grinderest grinders in the game as well 3 from a trio of the best players in the game. The question is can you guess which are the grinders and which are the great players?

grindersamplers2.png

As far as the formula is concerned, I'm making progress things are starting to come together and I really think this thing could get done in the next few days.

Grinders are 1, 3, 5, good players are 2, 4, 6? The three great are probably Bonds (6), Pujols (4) and A-Rod (2), and the three grinders are Erstad (1), Rowand (3), and Eckstein (5)? Complete guesses.. but they make sense.

Ozzie on any potential 20 year reunion in 2025: (expletives taken from Deadspin)

Those ceremonies -- 'Oh, let's bring back those guys from 2005,' we're all crippled and f***ed up, pushing wheelchairs, kids crying because his dad was on the ballclub -- f*** that,'' Guillen said. ''I don't need that bull. A bunch of fat guys, another one is broke. 'Hey, where's your ring?' 'Oh, I don't know, I sold that son of a b**** two years ago.'

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Mackowiak for Brady Clark rumor in tomorrow's Tribune. It makes a ton of sense.

Hell yes, it does.

Clark would present the White Sox with a natural centerfielder capable of fielding his position, occasionally walking, and providing adequate production (albeit with no power).

If we're not intent of giving Anderson the position, as all indications appear to suggest, this is about the next best thing. It's certainly more preferable than any internal options or Luis Terrero.

15 errors in 4 full seasons with the BrewCrew. About a 2.60 RF over that time, compared to Pods 2.15 RF and 11 errors over the last 2 seasons with us(BTW BA has a 2.87 RF, and 2 errors last year. Thats an impressive RF, and was only behind Joey Gathright and Corey Patterson in all of MLB).

I've watched a s*** load of Brewer's games over the past 3 seasons (I just love that team) and there's a reason why I've been mentioning Clark's name on here for the past 2 seasons. The guy can play all 3 OF positions well and is pretty damn good in CF (I would trust him out there as a starter over an extended period of time). He has an above average arm which makes him a pretty good backup in RF. He'd immediately become the Sox' 2nd best arm accuracy + strength player in the OF behind Dye.

He's basically better than Erstad at most everything except Grinding. I'd welcome Brady Clark with open arms even if it cost one of my favorite players in Rob Mackowiak.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
I've watched a s*** load of Brewer's games over the past 3 seasons (I just love that team) and there's a reason why I've been mentioning Clark's name on here for the past 2 seasons. The guy can play all 3 OF positions well and is pretty damn good in CF (I would trust him out there as a starter over an extended period of time). He has an above average arm which makes him a pretty good backup in RF. He'd immediately become the Sox' 2nd best arm accuracy + strength player in the OF behind Dye.

He's basically better than Erstad at most everything except Grinding. I'd welcome Brady Clark with open arms even if it cost one of my favorite players in Rob Mackowiak.

I agree 100 percent on all counts here so much that I'd swear I posted this. It sucks that the moves that make so much sense to us fans never happen though. :(

If we were to see something Clark in LF and Ryan Sweeney in RF (or vise versa) next year, with Anderson in CF, I wouldn't be too hurt, (although the fact we're going to lose Dye stings).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 12:54 AM)
If we were to see something Clark in LF and Ryan Sweeney in RF (or vise versa) next year, with Anderson in CF, I wouldn't be too hurt, (although the fact we're going to lose Dye stings).

That's one weak OF in regards to power potential. And considering neither Sweeney or Anderson would be guaranteed to post decent offensive statistics, that would be quite the risk.

Although, such an inexpensive OF would allow more money to be allocated to signing Alex Rodriguez. Perhaps the Sox would trade Crede and shift Fields to the OF, where Clark would be the 4th OF.

All I know is few things ever are predictable with Williams. If everything were to occur as either of us have suggested I'd be amazed.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 21, 2007 -> 02:19 AM)
That's one weak OF in regards to power potential. And considering neither Sweeney or Anderson would be guaranteed to post decent offensive statistics, that would be quite the risk.

Although, such an inexpensive OF would allow more money to be allocated to signing Alex Rodriguez. Perhaps the Sox would trade Crede and shift Fields to the OF, where Clark would be the 4th OF.

All I know is few things ever are predictable with Williams. If everything were to occur as either of us have suggested I'd be amazed.

NOW your catching on to my thought process....although Fields at 3B, A-Rod at SS, and Clark as a starter would be feasible too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Guillen said Danks could be considered for a relief role because of his ability to throw strikes. Danks threw 50 of 74 pitches for strikes Sunday against San Diego.

But Danks also could be a long shot as a left-handed reliever because Logan stretched his scoreless streak to nine innings over seven appearances after bailing Nick Masset out of a jam in the sixth Tuesday. Logan pitched 11/3 scoreless innings.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

I have to imagine this is Crazy Ol' Ozzie Guillen spouting off, again. None of our coaches would possibly hinder Danks development with a stinct as a reliever, right?

I really don't care if Buehrle and Garland have done it. Or others in the past. It'll be impossible for any future starter to find consistent work out of the bullpen with Guillen managing this ballclub. As if the situation with McCarthy would have taught him anything.