Sox Loss Postgame Thread

Shamrock4Life

Jenks blew, the O blew...however, your manager should ALWAYS put your team in the best position to win. You never know when that might be the difference in any particular game. No one can pin this on one thing, and the blame should go around, but there's no excuse for a manager not playing perfect x's and o's, to borrow a football term.

I dare someone to tell me how he did this tonight.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 04:59 AM)
I assume you're talking about Pods non-catch in the walk-off flyball, but at that point, is was 1-1.

An average arm in LF throws out Milton Bradley at home. Pods was playing in because of the lefty and STILL couldn't get the ball anywhere near the vicinity of home plate.

And don't get me started on the seventh (?) where Cintron had a leadoff double. You let Mackowiak AND Podsednik hit when Jermaine Dye, Pablo Ozuna and Brian Anderson are available? Absolutely pathetic. Awful managing. Hang this 'L' right on Ozzie's head.

The replay is comedy.

Pods plays way in. Ball hit really high, pods runs back, gets to the fence jumps, lands, ball hits him in the melon.

It takes a special defensive f*** up, when you can leap land and try to head the ball into goal. My god even Ronaldo would have a hard time getting that timing down.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:05 AM)
It's almost the same exact situation as Game 2 of the World Series.

Even if Pods does his usual two-bouncer to homeplate they might have had a chance at getting him. All he had to do was get it within the vicinity of homeplate, and he f***ing airmails it. The ball almost went into the stands, that's how pathetic of a throw that was.

There's absolutely no f***ing reason why Anderson was sitting on the bench in the ninth. You put your best defensive lineup out there in a close game. If that EVER happens again this season, Ozzie ought to have his socks shoved down his throat.

Nice performance by Garland and MacDouglal. Would have been nice to get this one. If the Sox are going to carry Anderson as a defensive outfielder and a backup, Ozzie needs to use him. Jenks job was to close the game and I think I would point to him if I had to blame one guy. All closers blow games. I'll give Jenks a pass on this one. Get em next time Bobby. Sox will win the series tomorrow.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)
As bad as Ozzie was tonight, there were many others reasons we lost this game. Jenks should be able to get Todd Walker out.

I'm not hanging this one on Ozzie. The manager put the closer in the game to start the ninth inning with a one-run lead. That's all you can ask. We can't assume Anderson would have thrown out Bradley at the plate. I'll agree Podsednik should have made that catch, but it should never have come to that. Bobby didn't get it done. End of story. When you're nursing a one-run lead in the ninth and your closer gives up four hits, your going to lose the game. Bobby needs to get his velocity back. It would also do him some good to not always go to his curve with two strikes on the hitter. What makes the curve so good is the specter of that fastball. I can't remember the last time I saw him throw the fastball with two strikes. The hitters know what's coming and have a better chance at hitting it. I'm betting a high fastball would have gotten Walker.

Edited by infohawk

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:11 AM)
Even if Pods does his usual two-bouncer to homeplate they might have had a chance at getting him. All he had to do was get it within the vicinity of homeplate, and he f***ing airmails it. The ball almost went into the stands, that's how pathetic of a throw that was.

There's absolutely no f***ing reason why Anderson was sitting on the bench in the ninth. You put your best defensive lineup out there in a close game. If that EVER happens again this season, Ozzie ought to have his socks shoved down his throat.

We were calling him out in the 7th inning. The guy is just a fricking idiot. His personal agenda against Anderson is going to hurt this team. The sad thing is that Pods should have never been out there for the 9th...it's not his fault. Ozzie violated my #1 rule tonight.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:13 AM)
Nice performance by Garland and MacDouglal. Would have been nice to get this one. If the Sox are going to carry Anderson as a defensive outfielder and a backup, Ozzie needs to use him. Jenks job was to close the game and I think I would point to him if I had to blame one guy. All closers blow games. I'll give Jenks a pass on this one. Get em next time Bobby. Sox will win the series tomorrow.

Even if he closed this game out, Jenks scares the crap out of me. He's lost 5 mph off of his fastball. That's not good when you have the straightest fastball in history.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:13 AM)
I'm not hanging this one on Ozzie. The manager put the closer in the game to start the ninth inning with a one-run lead. That's all you can ask. We can't assume Anderson would have thrown out Bradley at the plate. I'll agree Podsednik should have made that catch, but it should never have come to that. Bobby didn't get it done. End of story. When you're nursing a one-run lead in the ninth and your closer gives up four hits, your going to lose the game. Bobby needs to get his velocity back. It would also do him some good to not always go to his curve with two strikes on the hitter. What makes the curve so good is the specter of that fastball. I can't remember the last time I saw him throw the fastball with two strikes. The hitters know what's coming and have a better chance at hitting it. I'm betting a high fastball would have gotten Walker.

Wow, this is WAY off. Don't "end of story" it ever again this season, please.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:13 AM)

The reason he throws the curve is his fastball isn't good enough to blow it by hitters. I would guess that 75 pct of his strikeouts came on offspeed pitches last year. His fastball went from a 10 to about a 7. AJP did a terrible job setting up Walker.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:16 AM)
Maybe, maybe not. But it would have been a hell of a lot closer.

There would be a billion less complaints from us if it was Anderson in LF or CF with Erstad moving over then. Don't forget that Pods terrible throw also allowed the runners to advance and Ozzie stupidly walked the bases loaded. Thus, Jenks had to throw the 2-1 pitch down the cock. Just a bad string of events.