Sox Loss Postgame Thread

Shamrock4Life

I'm just offering my opinion. I'm not saying everyone has to agree with it. I understand how people could see it differently. I'm just saying that, for me, it began and ended with Bobby's performance. More runs would have obviously been nice, but the closer had the ball with nobody on base in the ninth and got hit around.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say this is pinned on Ozzie alone. To say he should have kept MacD in is silly. He's the set up man, Bobby is the closer. He didn't have his stuff. Not much you can do.

Pods...yes, he messed up, but it really isn't his fault he was out there. I'll agree BA probably should have been in, but even if he was, Erstad would likely have gone to left, or maybe they bring Pablo is. No matter what, you can't guarantee either is going to throw Bradley out.

It's a tough loss, sure, but it's not the end of the world. All you can do is hope Mark gets them tomorrow and the offense steps it up a notch or twelve.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
There would be a billion less complaints from us if it was Anderson in LF or CF with Erstad moving over then. Don't forget that Pods terrible throw also allowed the runners to advance and Ozzie stupidly walked the bases loaded. Thus, Jenks had to throw the 2-1 pitch down the cock. Just a bad string of events.

Oh, I agree that Ozzie doesn't know how to manage and completely mis-handled the game.

I just don't think its right to authoritatively state that BA (or, more correctly, Erstad) would have nailed him. Maybe he air-mails it to. But we know he's got a much better chance than Pods.

Wow.

A bad, bad sequence of events there. The blame goes on Bobby. He gives up 3 hits (possibly more) in 2/3 of an inning while Garland/Mac give up 3 hits in 8 innings.

Scottie made a poor throw. He has a worthless noodle-arm.

I think the walk was the thing to do, but we can second guess Ozzie all night long here.

I didn't mind doubling-up Walker with the curveball, it just was a very-hittable, high-in-the-zone curveball, that's all.

The only thing to do is come back tomorrow and do it all over again. It's a real shame, and it seems like this bs happens to Jon more than anyone else. But let's keep this in perspective, get some sleep tonight, and come back tomorrow and get this series.

Let's go Mark!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
Oh, I agree that Ozzie doesn't know how to manage and completely mis-handled the game.

I just don't think its right to authoritatively state that BA (or, more correctly, Erstad) would have nailed him. Maybe he air-mails it to. But we know he's got a much better chance than Pods.

Yeah, I agree. I was wrong to definitively state BA would have thrown Bradley out at the plate. Especially with AJP fumbling a lot of plays at the plate.

That said, Guillen made a mistake not putting his best defensive outfielders in the 9th inning of a 1-run game.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:20 AM)
Pods...yes, he messed up, but it really isn't his fault he was out there. I'll agree BA probably should have been in, but even if he was, Erstad would likely have gone to left, or maybe they bring Pablo is. No matter what, you can't guarantee either is going to throw Bradley out.

So it's not Pods fault he was out there, but it's not Ozzie's fault for not making any changes?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:20 AM)
I can't say this is pinned on Ozzie alone. To say he should have kept MacD in is silly. He's the set up man, Bobby is the closer. He didn't have his stuff. Not much you can do.

It's a tough loss, sure, but it's not the end of the world. All you can do is hope Mark gets them tomorrow and the offense steps it up a notch or twelve.

No, but I can guaran-f***ing-tee that the chances would be better. Ozzie should know that and go with the odds, not his gut or pure hatred of Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
Didnt it take a few weeks last year for Jenks to get up in the upper 90's? Last year Ozzie would have subbed Pods, lets hope he learned from his mistake.

He said before the season even started the Anderson was his guy in the 8th and 9th for defensive purposes, still waiting for him to come through on that promise.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
Wow.

A bad, bad sequence of events there. The blame goes on Bobby. He gives up 3 hits (possibly more) in 2/3 of an inning while Garland/Mac give up 3 hits in 8 innings.

Scottie made a poor throw. He has a worthless noodle-arm.

I think the walk was the thing to do, but we can second guess Ozzie all night long here.

I didn't mind doubling-up Walker with the curveball, it just was a very-hittable, high-in-the-zone curveball, that's all.

The only thing to do is come back tomorrow and do it all over again. It's a real shame, and it seems like this bs happens to Jon more than anyone else. But let's keep this in perspective, get some sleep tonight, and come back tomorrow and get this series.

Let's go Mark!

Everything aside. You have to admit this whole situation is pretty ironic.

Anderson's only job on the team is to be a defensive replacement. Ozzie has a lot of explaining to do after this one.

Jenks can't be trotted out there in a save situation until he regains his fastball.

Shame on A.J. for his pitching oh-so-predictable pitching calling with Jenks on the mound. It's first-ball fastball and then a curveball to punch out a batter with two strikes. ALL THE TIME.

Edited by BainesHOF

Ozzie's going nowhere this year, so we'll probably just let Anderson waste away on the dugout.

I'd rather have anderson in than Erstad but it's not like Anderson is Willie Mays reincarnated.

We needed a better offseason upgrade than Erstad don't you think??

And blame Oz all you want, but Jenks sucked.

And the offense was pitiful, simply pitiful.

Three hits? There's plenty of blame to go around. So what if Pods' defense was a total laughinstock?

There are other reasons we lost besides Oz/Pods.

It could be closer by committee soon.

Poor Bobby. No heat.

And one more thing.

Ozzie, Kenny, Coop: Simply because it is a save situation does not mean you MUST "insert Bobby here." Please, go with the guy that is throwing it well at the time. Simply because Bobby is the "closer" does not mean he must be inserted into every possible save situation or 9th inning. I don't care if MacDougal is the fifth inning guy for christ's sakes, if he is the one that's hot, by all means, leave him in there. And that goes for ANY pitcher who is throwing the ball extremely well at the time. It is not necessary to put in a struggling Bobby Jenks because he has been termed the closer.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
He said before the season even started the Anderson was his guy in the 8th and 9th for defensive purposes, still waiting for him to come through on that promise.

He also lied about the ST situation regarding winning a spot in CF. Ozzie's word is meaningless now.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
And one more thing.

Ozzie, Kenny, Coop: Simply because it is a save situation does not mean you MUST "insert Bobby here." Please, go with the guy that is throwing it well at the time. Simply because Bobby is the "closer" does not mean he must be inserted into every possible save situation or 9th inning. I don't care if MacDougal is the fifth inning guy for christ's sakes, if he is the one that's hot, by all means, leave him in there. And that goes for ANY pitcher who is throwing the ball extremely well at the time. It is not necessary to put in a struggling Bobby Jenks because he has been termed the closer.

That's the issue I have. He did the same crap last year. I don't give a crap if Jenks is deamed "the closer". He scares the s*** outta me ever time he takes the mound now.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)

Everything aside. You have to admit this whole situation is pretty ironic.

Oh, believe me, don't think the irony was lost on me as I watched Scottie's throw scraping the lower edges of the Earth's atmosphere as it flew over AJ's head.

The ONE problem with subbing Scottie, one which you brought up concerning Dye, Kalapse, is Pods happens to be the only player on this team that is hitting worth a damn right now. Regardless, I agree, Brian should have been in there, and likely will from now on....but you know how Ozzie tries to reward his guys...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:28 AM)
And one more thing.

Nah, I'd rather try to have MacDougal for the entire season then have him go more than 1 inning in two straight games.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
So it's not Pods fault he was out there, but it's not Ozzie's fault for not making any changes?

It's tough to say. Ozzie should have brought in BA or Pablo, sure, but either way, it doesn't guarantee that Bradley is out at home. Then again, I'm 95% sure I could have thrown out Bradley from the distace Pods tried to. Ask SoxAce if you don't believe me.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
No, but I can guaran-f***ing-tee that the chances would be better. Ozzie should know that and go with the odds, not his gut or pure hatred of Brian Anderson.

Chances don't mean squat really. Thats just your way of saying "I'd be less pissed if it was BA or Erstad that missed the throw home." Give it a rest, and L is and L.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:31 AM)
Oh, believe me, don't think the irony was lost on me as I watched Scottie's throw scraping the lower edge;s of the Earth's atmosphere as it flew over AJ's head.

The ONE problem with subbing Scottie, one which you brought up concerning Dye, Kalapse, is Pods happens to be the only player on this team that is hitting worth a damn right now. Regardless, I agree, Brian should have been in there, and likely will from now on....but you know how Ozzie tries to reward his guys...

You play for the win, not what might happen if you don't get three outs there. There's no excuses for what happened tonight. Garen kicked Ozzie's ass with the intentional walk to Pods and having Walker ph.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
That's the issue I have. He did the same crap last year. I don't give a crap if Jenks is deamed "the closer". He scares the s*** outta me ever time he takes the mound now.

It's clear your overreacting considering we're only 7 games into the season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 01:32 AM)
It's tough to say. Ozzie should have brought in BA or Pablo, sure, but either way, it doesn't guarantee that Bradley is out at home. Then again, I'm 95% sure I could have thrown out Bradley from the distace Pods tried to. Ask SoxAce if you don't believe me.

Chances don't mean squat really. Thats just your way of saying "I'd be less pissed if it was BA or Erstad that missed the throw home." Give it a rest, and L is and L.

That's ridiculous. Screw it, then. Throw Iguchi or Cintron out in left because even though the chances are that they'll play a worse outfield than Pods, chances don't mean squat.

Why should we give it a rest when our manager does not put our team in positions to win and blatantly lies about giving Anderson a chance to win the CF job and playing him as a defensive replacement?

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
Nah, I'd rather try to have MacDougal for the entire season then have him go more than 1 inning in two straight games.

The point isn't so much about MacDougal or tonight as it is Ozzie and Kenny's general theory on the closer. Whomever is shutting guys down the best at the moment should be pitching in the most important situations in the game- whether that be the 6th inning of one game or the 7th inning of another game- it doesn't mean that Jenks must come in to close out a game because the rules of baseball state he may earn a save on that appearance, or it is the 9th inning. That is backward thinking and it costs us.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:32 AM)
Chances don't mean squat really.

So it wouldn't have mattered if it were Carlos Beltran out in LF tonight? Because -- chances are, Beltran makes that throw in his sleep and the Sox win then and there.

But chances don't mean squat, so Podsednik = Beltran, right?