Dan Haigwood

DBAHO

I didn't see a thread, any interest?

Rangers designated LHP Daniel Haigwood for assignment.

We don't like the move. The Rangers are still carrying outfielders Jason Botts, Victor Diaz and Freddy Guzman on the 40-man roster even though they seem to have no intention of using any of them. Guzman probably should have gone over Haigwood, the left-hander the Rangers picked up for Fabio Castro last summer.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
Do we have a 40 man roster spot to claim him, and a spot in the minors to use him?

What are the requirements for the 40 man? Haigwood has no time in MLB yet, has 4 years minor league time, and is 23. Does he have to be on the 40 man to be protected?

If Toby Hall was around I could give you a 40 man roster spot we could use, but in this case he isn't so oh well. But I think there are worse guys on the clubs 40 than Haigwood so I do think the club could upgrade.

However, I don't expect the Sox to be the team that picks him up. Also something must not have clicked in Texas because when you have struggled as much as they have with pitching over the years you don't generally designate a guy like haigwood for assignment (albeit he doesn't have the stuff that flat out wows you).

Drop Paulino Reynoso, he is practically useless, and I doubt he ever does something worthwhile in the majors... on the other hand, Haigwood does have some potential, and used to be part of the this organization. I would hope KW does the right thing, and says bye-bye to Reynoso, and welcome back Haigwood.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
If Toby Hall was around I could give you a 40 man roster spot we could use, but in this case he isn't so oh well. But I think there are worse guys on the clubs 40 than Haigwood so I do think the club could upgrade.

However, I don't expect the Sox to be the team that picks him up. Also something must not have clicked in Texas because when you have struggled as much as they have with pitching over the years you don't generally designate a guy like haigwood for assignment (albeit he doesn't have the stuff that flat out wows you).

Haigwood, to me, is a good example of the player who is a victim of overreliance on scouting reports. I think a lot of scouts lose the forest for the trees - they are so caught up in a few MPH of velocity, or a few inches of height, etc., that they don't notice that a player is really good at just getting it done. Some players find a way to be very good despite what the skills reports say. And then the decision happens - its decided that subjective outlook on future skill use is more important than actual results. And so players like Haigwood fall through the cracks. Its sort of sad, because succeeding and finding a way to perform are themselves very important skills that get overlooked.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
Haigwood, to me, is a good example of the player who is a victim of overreliance on scouting reports. I think a lot of scouts lose the forest for the trees - they are so caught up in a few MPH of velocity, or a few inches of height, etc., that they don't notice that a player is really good at just getting it done. Some players find a way to be very good despite what the skills reports say. And then the decision happens - its decided that subjective outlook on future skill use is more important than actual results. And so players like Haigwood fall through the cracks. Its sort of sad, because succeeding and finding a way to perform are themselves very important skills that get overlooked.

See Castro and Marshall.

In all seriousness, I think they were happier to rehabilitate Wing than they are likely to bring back Haigwood.