Oh Imus...

Jenksismyhero

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your reaction to "Imus Gate?"

• Reactons have been spot on
    • Eh, a slight overreaction by the media/sponsors/etc
    • Are you serious? All this for a comment?
    • Undecided

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
Reverse discrimination is still discrimination.

I did not say it wasn't. I am against all discrimination.

My point continues to be that the "double standard/reverse racism" cry of "If rappers and minority comics say it, why can't I?" should not be used as validation for hateful comments. Racist and sexist hateful comments should not be made period.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
I did not say it wasn't. I am against all discrimination.

My point continues to be that the "double standard/reverse racism" cry of "If rappers and minority comics say it, why can't I?" should not be used as validation for hateful comments. Racist and sexist hateful comments should not be made period.

I don't think anyone is arguing that because rappers say racist/sexist things, he should be allowed to say those things too. Most people would agree it was a dumb thing to say and a dumb forum to say it in.

The argument is that the reaction towards rappers using that language isn't anywhere near the reaction that Imus' comments have gotten, especially from the 'leaders' of the black community. That is a double standard in how to deal with the problem of racist/sexist/hateful speech.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
I don't think anyone is arguing that because rappers say racist/sexist things, he should be allowed to say those things too. Most people would agree it was a dumb thing to say and a dumb forum to say it in.

The argument is that the reaction towards rappers using that language isn't anywhere near the reaction that Imus' comments have gotten, especially from the 'leaders' of the black community. That is a double standard in how to deal with the problem of racist/sexist/hateful speech.

I think there are "leaders" in the black community who do indeed despise the use of not just insulting words, but all the violence in urban music, etc. Many of those leaders, including some I've spoken with, people who lead congregations and local groups, don't make it on TV. Instead, we see Jesse and Al, who shouldn't be role models for anyone. Kind of similar to how we see talking heads "representative" of both political parties (the Rush Limbaughs of the world) come on the TV to take sides on an issue, even though most of us are not at all represented by their views.

Again, the media loves the extremes, and the shock value. They also tend to get lazy and call on the same old people over and over again. So, we get Jesse and Al on this one.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
that self promoting press conference they held yesterday pretending to be hurt was an embarassment to their entire school.

I like how one of em said "I have been scarred for life by what he said"

what do you think the odds are on some huge lawsuits being filed against Imus for what he said?

Edited by mr_genius

And it's BULLs***. These players weren't scarred for life... but the media sure made them victims. Sometimes, I really hate our country and the sensationalism we are all about.

By the way, Imus is now officially fired.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
I think there are "leaders" in the black community who do indeed despise the use of not just insulting words, but all the violence in urban music, etc. Many of those leaders, including some I've spoken with, people who lead congregations and local groups, don't make it on TV. Instead, we see Jesse and Al, who shouldn't be role models for anyone. Kind of similar to how we see talking heads "representative" of both political parties (the Rush Limbaughs of the world) come on the TV to take sides on an issue, even though most of us are not at all represented by their views.

Again, the media loves the extremes, and the shock value. They also tend to get lazy and call on the same old people over and over again. So, we get Jesse and Al on this one.

You're right on with this one.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
By the way, Imus is now officially fired.

:o

wow

political correctness has completely corrupted our national news media. they basically went on a 3 day long crusade to get some old man fired for saying "nappy headed hoes". it's kinda funny, but also troubling.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)

wow

political correctness has completely corrupted our national news media. they basically went on a 3 day long crusade to get some old man fired for saying "nappy headed hoes". it's kinda funny, but also troubling.

Congrats, Al and Jesse. You are officially blowhard, hypocritical idiots who screamed so loud, you got your way, and it sure is indeed troubling.

So, for the people who are genuinely pissed off about this...I want an answer to a simple question. What positive thing does Don Imus and this sort of talk bring to our nation or its discourse?

I just read back through this thread, and almost every argument out there was that "Oh, Mr. Imus isn't as bad as x" where x is Al Sharpton, rap artists, the PC police, the media, whatever.

So, let's say for a moment that I don't care about where each one's problems fit on your personal value scale. I don't care whether you think hip-hop artists do worse, whether or not Jesse Jackson's affair is worse, or whether or not this was the worst thing said on the Radio this week (I'm sure Beck, Savage, and a few others top it every 5 minutes).

Tell me what positive thing he contributed such that I should be saddened by the loss of his show. Give me something other than the ol "Oh he did it too!" and I'll consider being mad about this. Until then, I will continue to think that in some small way, our nation just was improved.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
So, for the people who are genuinely pissed off about this...I want an answer to a simple question. What positive thing does Don Imus and this sort of talk bring to our nation or its discourse?

I just read back through this thread, and almost every argument out there was that "Oh, Mr. Imus isn't as bad as x" where x is Al Sharpton, rap artists, the PC police, the media, whatever.

So, let's say for a moment that I don't care about where each one's problems fit on your personal value scale. I don't care whether you think hip-hop artists do worse, whether or not Jesse Jackson's affair is worse, or whether or not this was the worst thing said on the Radio this week (I'm sure Beck, Savage, and a few others top it every 5 minutes).

Tell me what positive thing he contributed such that I should be saddened by the loss of his show. Give me something other than the ol "Oh he did it too!" and I'll consider being mad about this. Until then, I will continue to think that in some small way, our nation just was improved.

I'm not mad about Don Imus being fired. He did something stupid, and he really got fired because he lost his sponsors. Fine. Goodbye. I'm mad about the "moral superiority complex" displayed by everyone else.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)

wow

political correctness has completely corrupted our society. they basically went on a 3 day long crusade to get some old man fired for saying "nappy headed hoes". it's kinda funny, but also troubling.

fixed it. ;)

"There has been much discussion of the effect language like this has on our young people, particularly young women of color trying to make their way in this society," CBS President and Chief Executive Officer Leslie Moonves said in announcing the decision. "That consideration has weighed most heavily on our minds as we made our decision."

:lolhitting

ok, Leslie.

On a side note. guess who said this on ABC. sounds very damaging to chinese people...

"You know, you can imagine in China it's like, 'Ching chong, ching chong chong, Danny DeVito, ching chong chong chong, drunk, 'The View,' ching chong,' " the 44-year-old comedian said.

OK, IMus, a rich, white male makes his comments about some (poor?) black females about a week ago. As a result of his comments, they faced no jail time, and weren't indicted on anything like aggrevated hoeing, or even misdemeanor nappy-headingness. For this, Imus is fired, after about a week. It took the Rutgers women a little over a week to get their 'justice' for a slight that hurt their feelings. On the other side you have Crystal Gail Mangum, a poor, black woman. And, you know, a whore, a criminal, a thief, and a perjurer. She makes comments about the Duke 3, who are indicted for one of the worst crimes possible by not only the DA, but by the media and just about every feminist group in the world. They faced 25 years or more in jail because of those comments, and it took them a year to get justice. No wait, Nifong is still employed, at least at this moment, along with his bosses, the guy who helped him hide the DNA evidence, etc. Who's the more agreived party here, the Duke 3 or the women basketball players? With the way CBS is acting now, you would think being called a nappy headed ho is worse than rape.

Imus was an idiot, but this overreaction is just wrong. CBS had no problems with all the money he made for them, maybe they should donate the profits from his shows over the last year or so to Nappy-headed Hoes Anonomyous, or something. You know, get rid of that tainted money.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:48 PM)
No wait, Nifong is still employed, at least at this moment, along with his bosses, the guy who helped him hide the DNA evidence, etc. Who's the more agreived party here, the Duke 3 or the women basketball players? With the way CBS is acting now, you would think being called a nappy headed ho is worse than rape.

Imus was an idiot, but this overreaction is just wrong. CBS had no problems with all the money he made for them, maybe they should donate the profits from his shows over the last year or so to Nappy-headed Hoes Anonomyous, or something. You know, get rid of that tainted money.

Is there anyone out there who doubts that the DA in the Duke case is going to rapidly get what is coming to him, including major lawsuits and a disbarment (the process for which I believe is already under way)?

And I think that CBS and MSNBC donating a chunk of their advertising moeny to a worthy cause would be a wonderful way for them to show actual atonement for having employed Imus, and it'd send a great message to the companies carrying Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Ann Coulter, and their ilk; keep giving these people airtime and expect to be really burned eventually.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:48 PM)
OK, IMus, a rich, white male makes his comments about some (poor?) black females about a week ago. As a result of his comments, they faced no jail time, and weren't indicted on anything like aggrevated hoeing, or even misdemeanor nappy-headingness. For this, Imus is fired, after about a week. It took the Rutgers women a little over a week to get their 'justice' for a slight that hurt their feelings. On the other side you have Crystal Gail Mangum, a poor, black woman. And, you know, a whore, a criminal, a thief, and a perjurer. She makes comments about the Duke 3, who are indicted for one of the worst crimes possible by not only the DA, but by the media and just about every feminist group in the world. They faced 25 years or more in jail because of those comments, and it took them a year to get justice. No wait, Nifong is still employed, at least at this moment, along with his bosses, the guy who helped him hide the DNA evidence, etc. Who's the more agreived party here, the Duke 3 or the women basketball players? With the way CBS is acting now, you would think being called a nappy headed ho is worse than rape.

While it is always dangerous to compare two disimilar events, in this case the parallels are compelling. Great post.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
I've heard that Imus has now "fired back"! What's he saying??? Oh please, oh please, oh please let him have come out with all guns blazing!!!

I give it a week before there is a Hip Hop or Rap group named "Nappy Headed Hos" being signed.

All I've seen is that after he speaks to the Rutgers team he's done talking about it.