Prior Injured for Life

danman31

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember when the Twinkies were considered idiots for passing on Prior and taking Mauer?

Some can bring up the question that Prior was on the juice, and you never know. But he had such good mechanics and those massive legs, I don't see how he wouldn't be a good pitcher without the juice anyway. If he was to be released, I would not mind and have him in AAA, the guys has potential, no doubt about it.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
Let's not forget the Cubbies not willing to part with Prior for Tejada. Nice move Hendry! :cheers

I'm probably wrong, but I remember it being the O's wanting more than Prior, or wanting somebody else all together (Zambrano?) and it was more the O's who didn't want to settle for Prior.

Can anybody back me up on that? Or was it just Phil Rogers speculation? I recall him doing a lot of that when the deal was being considered.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
Is this some personal stuff you know about him?

I've never heard one positive thing about him off the field. Him whole incident at that Ducky store tells you all you need to know about him. He's a piece of s***.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm probably wrong, but I remember it being the O's wanting more than Prior, or wanting somebody else all together (Zambrano?) and it was more the O's who didn't want to settle for Prior.

Can anybody back me up on that? Or was it just Phil Rogers speculation? I recall him doing a lot of that when the deal was being considered.

Baltimore balked when Jim Hungry asked for Bedard in addition to Tejada.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)

From what I remember, I think the Cubs offered Prior, O's wanted Zambrano.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
From what I remember, I think the Cubs offered Prior, O's wanted Zambrano.

As for Tejada, the Cubs and Orioles didn't negotiate over the holiday weekend, but that should change in the next couple days. The Cubs would like to know where the Orioles stand so a resolution can be reached one way or another within the next week.

There has been speculation in Baltimore that Orioles management plans to take a hard look this week at various trade proposals for their disenchanted superstar and decide once and for all if they want to make a move. The Cubs have made it clear that they wouldn't trade Mark Prior in a one-for-one deal for Tejada, but they would be willing to make Prior part of a package as long as they get a starting pitcher such as Erik Bedard in the swap.

Chicago Sun-Times, January 3, 2006.

Which brings us to the Cubs, who reportedly are willing to offer pitcher Mark Prior if the right pieces fit for a Tejada swap.

The Cubs face an uphill battle. The Orioles reportedly are interested in Carlos Zambrano or Prior. General manager Jim Hendry is reluctant to part with one of his top two starting pitchers. If he did agree to such a deal, Hendry likely would require a pitcher - - such as promising left-hander Erik Bedard -- be sent to the Cubs.

For Hendry even to be entertaining the idea of adding Tejada shows how desperate the Cubs' offseason has become.

Things turned sour early. Failing to up the ante for free-agent shortstop Rafael Furcal has put the Cubs in the surprising position of not immediately saying no to a Prior trade.

Cubs fans instantly became intoxicated by the idea of Tejada playing regularly at Wrigley Field when he initially indicated he wanted out of Baltimore. When Tejada criticized the Orioles' lack of moves after the winter meetings last month, O's executives believed they could win back their clubhouse leader.

When Tejada recently repeated remarks that he would prefer a change of scenery, it was clear he needed to be shipped before the start of spring training.

In the process, the Orioles have lost some of their leverage because Tejada is not backing off his remarks.

Now Hendry must work the same kind of magic that landed Nomar Garciaparra from the Boston Red Sox on July 31, 2004. Hendry refused to part with pitcher Matt Clement back then. That was considered a deal breaker, but Hendry pulled off the trade by getting creative with a four-team blockbuster.

This time, he should be just as adamant about not losing Prior.

It makes no sense to rebuild the late-inning relief corps -- as Hendry has done by signing closer Ryan Dempster and setup men Bob Howry and Scott Eyre -- then weaken a starting rotation that already has an alarming number of question marks.

If Hendry trades Prior, he could be haunted by the deal for the next decade.

Prior is 25. Despite an overwhelming amount of hype that only can be generated from Wrigleyville, we all can agree that the hard- throwing right-hander who won 18 games in 2003 hasn't even come close to reaching his potential. Pitchers of this caliber are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

Zambrano is the ace of the staff. Prior is a close second. The rest of the rotation -- Greg Maddux, Jerome Williams and left- hander Glendon Rusch -- went a combined 28-33 in 2005.

This would be easier if anyone had a strong feeling about Kerry Wood's status after Aug. 31 shoulder surgery. But he is the biggest question mark of all.

"Eighty percent of what happens in this game happens on that little bump," Hendry is fond of saying while pointing at the pitcher's mound.

If that's true -- and I believe it is -- Prior is more important to the potentially pitching-poor Cubs than he is to the legitimately pitching-poor Orioles.

Chris DeLuca, Chicago Sun Times, January 5, 2006.

The Chicago Cubs are offering a package for Baltimore Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada that includes right-handed pitcher Mark Prior, the Baltimore Sun Reported.

The two teams have gone back and forth with trade proposals, but they are not close to an agreement, the paper reported.

According to sources, the Cubs are also seeking Orioles left-hander Erik Bedard in the package with Tejada, but don't want to part ways with top outfield prospect Felix Pie, whom Orioles have been interested in, the paper reported.

NBC News, Dec 23rd, 2005. Edited by Balta1701

I would think that this exam by Dr. Yokum will be very important. If it comes back showing no real physical injury, I think the Cubs just have to cut bait with this guy because it basically would say this is mostly mental. If it comes back with an identified physical injury, then if I were the Cubs, I would give him another shot at rehabing the injury.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it, because, if memory serves me right, he has had other exams that have said he is basically OK physically.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Remember when the Twinkies were considered idiots for passing on Prior and taking Mauer?

Some can bring up the question that Prior was on the juice, and you never know. But he had such good mechanics and those massive legs, I don't see how he wouldn't be a good pitcher without the juice anyway. If he was to be released, I would not mind and have him in AAA, the guys has potential, no doubt about it.

He's wouldn't accept an offer that puts him in AAA.