4/12 Games

Flash Tizzle

-Charlotte defeated Syracuse earlier, 5-4.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

Haeger gave up 3 HR's. Baseball Prospectus contributer Rany Jazayerli isn't looking very good about now.

Sweeney, 0-3; BB

Fields, 1-4; 2B, BB

Terrero, 2-4; HR (4), 3 RBI

- Game 2 of Charlotte doubleheader, Syracuse is leading 2-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...syraaa_chraaa_2

Broadway: 6IP, 9H, 2ER, 0BB, 5SO, 1HR

-Birmingham leading Mobile 4-2 entering the top of the 7th.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...biraax_mobaax_1

Egbert pitching well -- 6IP, 4 H, 2ER, 1BB, 5 SO, and of course, 0 HR. 10 ground outs/ 3 fly outs.

Where's our Brandon Webb? :P

-Winston Salem lost to Myrtle Beach, 5-3.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

McCulloch: 5IP, 7H, 4ER, 2BB, 3 SO

Cunningham: 1-4; 2B

Edited by Flash Tizzle

good outing for Broadway... And I know, Terrero has been beastly. He was once a highly touted prospect, was he not?

Eggy with another good outing... can someone tell me what type of stuff he has? I am not too familiar with him. He was from Rutgers, right?

McCulloch got hit pretty good today it seems also.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
What the heck is up with Terrero? This guy has been raking since the start of spring training.

If he keeps it up, it'll probably hasten the calls for BA to return to Charlotte to get some regular AB's.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
What the heck is up with Terrero? This guy has been raking since the start of spring training.

Terrero put up an over-900 OPS last year in AAA. He just hasn't had a chance or hasn't put things together in limited at bats in the big leagues.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Or why we drafted Broadway ahead of Garza?

I believe the more appropriate question is why we drafted Broadway instead of Carrillo. Or last year with McCulloch instead of Pedro Beato. Far as I'm concerned, the members of Soxtalk -- with far less scouting -- have made better first round selections than the professionals for two straight seasons.

Now, It may be different for you, but I know I didn't think about Garza until the Twins selected him. If you look at the draft thread from 2005, several of us even joked that this kid Garza was going to be a stud. Not that we knew anything, but just that it was the Twins.

Considering the sheer number of pitchers in this June's amateur draft, I expect them to make the right decision. Not the pitcher who has the "safe delivery" or is another clone of Broadway or McCulloch; but someone with a legitimate arm who perhaps slipped to signability concerns.

I can tell you this early, judging from mock drafts, that I'd select either Tanner Robbles or Greg Peavy. This is if the draft were today; which it isn't. I'm sure the names will change (Cole St. Clair was rated #2 overall in an earlier Scout.com draft, and look how he's fallen). One name I'd hope beyond all hope falls to the White Sox is Phillippe Aumont. From what I'm reading, this guy has legitimate stuff; albeit a little raw. If we end up missing him by several positions I'll curse the White Sox for winning 90 games. 86 wins could have been the difference between selecting 20th and 25th, and wouldn't have changed anything about the club entering this season.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
I can tell you this early, judging from mock drafts, that I'd select either Tanner Robbles or Greg Peavy. This is if the draft were today; which it isn't. I'm sure the names will change (Cole St. Clair was rated #2 overall in an earlier Scout.com draft, and look how he's fallen). One name I'd hope beyond all hope falls to the White Sox is Phillippe Aumont. From what I'm reading, this guy has legitimate stuff; albeit a little raw. If we end up missing him by several positions I'll curse the White Sox for winning 90 games. 86 wins could have been the difference between selecting 20th and 25th, and wouldn't have changed anything about the club entering this season.

I really think the system needs a tweak. That's bulls*** that the Cardinals get to go to the playoffs AND are allowed to pick before the Sox. The eight playoff teams should hold spots 23-30. I was really pissed when I found that it just goes by record.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
I believe the more appropriate question is why we drafted Broadway instead of Carrillo. Or last year with McCulloch instead of Pedro Beato. Far as I'm concerned, the members of Soxtalk -- with far less scouting -- have made better first round selections than the professionals for two straight seasons.

You can go back to Lucy vs. Suzuki too.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)

Now, It may be different for you, but I know I didn't think about Garza until the Twins selected him. If you look at the draft thread from 2005, several of us even joked that this kid Garza was going to be a stud. Not that we knew anything, but just that it was the Twins.

Considering the sheer number of pitchers in this June's amateur draft, I expect them to make the right decision. Not the pitcher who has the "safe delivery" or is another clone of Broadway or McCulloch; but someone with a legitimate arm who perhaps slipped to signability concerns.

in the first round of their mock draft scout.com has us taking a SS

25. Chicago White Sox Todd Frazier, SS, R-R, 6’4, 205, Rutgers

Todd Frazier may have the best set of tools in his draft class. And though his size may keep him from playing shortstop as a pro, he has the athleticism and the power potential to hold up anywhere a pro team might move him defensively. At this point, third base is his most likely destination, but I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield spot.

The White Sox could go in any direction with their early selections this June because their best prospects reflect a nice balance between pitching and hitting. In my eyes, Frazier is a good match for their system because he offers a speed dimension to go along with his power and defensive flexibility. If he can stay at shortstop that will be even better, because the Sox lack a promising prospect at that position.

The knock on Frazier is that he hasn’t figured out how to translate his tools into performance on a consistent basis. He has long swing mechanics which could lead to a low contact rate in the pros, but when he centers a ball on his bat it can really travel. His plate discipline is above-average, which will serve him well. He’ll have adjustments to make, but I haven’t heard much concern that he won’t be able to make him.

the long power stroke, sounds just like a sox prospect :P

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
You can go back to Lucy vs. Suzuki too.

Suzuki? Which Suzuki did we pass up?

I personally think Lucy has a shot to do well still (why I picked him up as an AAP), especially with Wiki and Gustav as the only people ahead of him.

Nevermind, found him - Kurt Suzuki.

His offensive numbers look similar to Lucy's, but Lucy's defensive numbers look better. I don't see anything in the few scouting blurbs I can find that are anything special. Why would Suzuki have been a better choice?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)

I personally think Lucy has a shot to do well still (why I picked him up as an AAP), especially with Wiki and Gustav as the only people ahead of him.

His offensive numbers look similar to Lucy's, but Lucy's defensive numbers look better. I don't see anything in the few scouting blurbs I can find that are anything special. Why would Suzuki have been a better choice?

Suzuki is the heir apparent to Kendall and is only 23years old(a year younger than Lucy), better pop, better obp skills and is now at AAA.

25. Chicago White Sox Todd Frazier, SS, R-R, 6’4, 205, Rutgers

Todd Frazier may have the best set of tools in his draft class. And though his size may keep him from playing shortstop as a pro, he has the athleticism and the power potential to hold up anywhere a pro team might move him defensively. At this point, third base is his most likely destination, but I wouldn’t rule out a corner outfield spot.

I'm all on the train for drafting a middle infielder with our top pick this year, but I'm hoping for John Tolisano.

As for Suzuki, he has outhit Lucy by a wide margin all throughout the minors, Lucy put up nice numbers all-around at Stanford, but it just hasn't translated to minor league ball.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Kurt-Suzuki.shtml

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)

Suzuki was all world coming out of Cal State Fullerton. Offensively he had the tools and defensively he did an excellent job with some very good Fullerton pitching staffs and the guy was a true leader on what IIRC was the national championship Titans squad.

Attitude was plus

Offensive ability was a plus

Very good speed for a catcher.

Lucy on the other hand didn't have that good of collegiate numbers, but from a tools perspective was a better physical athlete than Suzuki (whose no slouch himself, but Lucy had the ability to be a gold glover).

QUOTE(beautox @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
in the first round of their mock draft scout.com has us taking a SS

It shows you how much draft stock can change in the course of several months. Not that Frazier's position has been effected much, but several other names have -- among them Cole St. Clair. Bumgarner and Brackman have shot up more than 15+ spots respectively.

I'm all on the train for drafting a middle infielder with our top pick this year, but I'm hoping for John Tolisano.

Ugh. He doesn't seem like the type of player you'd devote a first round pick to. 6'0, 190 pounds MIF with speed sounds like Robert Valido and Pedro Lopez. Tolisano is more the pick Guillen would take, whether from the #1 or #25 position.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)

Suzuki has outhit Lucy at every level by a solid amount so far. I've heard Suzuki may not be a great defensive catcher and that was one of the plusses of Lucy.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
As for Suzuki, he has outhit Lucy by a wide margin all throughout the minors, Lucy put up nice numbers all-around at Stanford, but it just hasn't translated to minor league ball.

Lucy's numbers were very average in college. You have to factor in that there is more offense in college because of the aluminum bats and .313 his junior year is far from dominating. Most pros will hit .350+ in college or have lots of power to go with a slightly lower average.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Suzuki has outhit Lucy at every level by a solid amount so far. I've heard Suzuki may not be a great defensive catcher and that was one of the plusses of Lucy.

Lucy's numbers were very average in college. You have to factor in that there is more offense in college because of the aluminum bats and .313 his junior year is far from dominating. Most pros will hit .350+ in college or have lots of power to go with a slightly lower average.

Thanks for the info everyone. Suzuki's offensive numbers definitely appear higher in the minors offensively, though Lucy does seem superior defensively and shows some speed. Lucy was behind Garko in college, so his he really only played a year as a starting catcher at the collegiate level, so I think his college numbers may not be a great indicator of his potential.

I haven't much of a clue about Suzuki obviously, but I have studied Lucy a bit and seen him play, and looked at other catchers in our system, and I think Lucy's the best catching prospect we have. He's a plus defender at his position, his hitting numbers have gotten better each year as he's progressed through the minors, and he's tearing it up in B-Ham to start this season. He impresses me a lot more than Gustavo or Wiki do, and I think he has MLB starter potential.

Donny had a good final season at Stanford hitting .313 with 12 homers and 47 rbi's in 208 at-bats.

As for Tolisano, he has very good power potential, this from BA

Preps, A's Put On Better Show

Two of the top franchises in the Cape were also on display during BA's quick three-day Cape jaunt, which started in Wareham at Spillane Field. There, the second annual Cape Cod High School Classic was staged by Baseball Factory and Team One Baseball, won 6-1 by Team One.

The score of the game was essentially immaterial. The approximately 75 scouts who signed in were there to see some of the top players in what appears to be a strong 2007 high school draft class. The event was clearly planned with the scouts in mind--the home run derby started at 8:30 a.m. and the game began at noon, which gave the scouts and college recruiters on hand time to see the game, then fan out to Cape regular-season games that afternoon and evening.

The stars at Wareham included some expected and familiar names, but at least two players also had breakout performances. Middle infielder John Tolisano (Estero, Fla., High) has played in major showcases since he was 14; for example, in the fall of 2003, Tolisano was the lone class of 2007 players at Perfect Game's World Wood Bat tournament in Jupiter, Fla. Now finally coming to his draft year, the home-schooled Tolisano has worked hard to maintain his place near the top of the '07 class. He won the home run derby Friday and showed solid tools both at the plate (with a quick, short stroke) and in the field

Tolisano happened to beat out 6'3 230 pound 1B Anthony Rizzo in the home run contest, who was leading all of Florida high schools in home runs last time I checked.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
As for Tolisano, he has very good power potential, this from BA

Tolisano happened to beat out 6'3 230 pound 1B Anthony Rizzo in the home run contest, who was leading all of Florida high schools in home runs last time I checked.

Still, a first round pick? Winning a home run contest doesn't convince me of power potential. You're talking about a hitter adopting a completely different approach. Notice how the same article later mentions how scouts noticed a quick stroke? I doubt that's the swing he was using during the contest.

If we had a sandwich pick or two I'd be willing to select Tolisano. Since we don't, it should be between Aumont, Robles, and Peavy. Although I doubt Aumont will be available around #25. :unsure:

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
If we had a sandwich pick or two I'd be willing to select Tolisano. Since we don't, it should be between Aumont, Robles, and Peavy. Although I doubt Aumont will be available around #25. :unsure:

Are any of these guys Boras clients? Or is that still to be determined?

Hopefully acquiring Danks means turning the page on the whole "not drafting Boras guys in the first round" for the Sox, but I still have my doubts.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
Are any of these guys Boras clients? Or is that still to be determined?

Hopefully acquiring Danks means turning the page on the whole "not drafting Boras guys in the first round" for the Sox, but I still have my doubts.

As of now, Greg Peavey is the only pitcher of the three advised by Boras.

I agree with your sentiment regarding Boras clients. You can't expect to continually develop talent when the international talent pool is ignored, we're consistently picking 15+, and the quality players available -- which may demand more money -- are passed up.