4/12 Games

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
I agree with your sentiment regarding Boras clients. You can't expect to continually develop talent when the international talent pool is ignored, we're consistently picking 15+, and the quality players available -- which may demand more money -- are passed up.

Say what you want, but I wouldn't want to be burned by a Boras client that doesn't sign or at least doesn't sign until almost a year later.

Not sure what you are looking for in a late 1st round pick. Tolisano is athletic and brings a nice bat, even with wood. He took top 50 HS pitcher Drake Britton deep in the AFLAC all-star game and led his 4A district in homeruns last year with 9.

from last year... http://www.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...6&fext=.jsp

"John Tolisano, SS, Estero HS, Sanibel, Fla.

Educationally, he's home schooled, but he plays his ball for Estero. His bat will determine his draft status. He's got power from both sides of the plate and those who have seen him hit with wood say the ball makes a different sound off of his bat."

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Say what you want, but I wouldn't want to be burned by a Boras client that doesn't sign or at least doesn't sign until almost a year later.

Yeah probably my thoughts as well, although in the end it does depend on the prospect, and you always want to take the best available.

I think it's time for the Sox to address the void they have with middle infielders as well, by taking one in the 1st couple of rounds. Tolisano sounds like a guy who could be had around the range of our 1st pick.

But still, young pitching should always be a premium, and hopefully with the change in guys running our scouting and draft selections now, we see more high risk pitchers who can bring the heat more.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 11:14 PM)
Still, a first round pick? Winning a home run contest doesn't convince me of power potential. You're talking about a hitter adopting a completely different approach. Notice how the same article later mentions how scouts noticed a quick stroke? I doubt that's the swing he was using during the contest.

If we had a sandwich pick or two I'd be willing to select Tolisano. Since we don't, it should be between Aumont, Robles, and Peavy. Although I doubt Aumont will be available around #25. :unsure:

I can tell you EXACTLY who Aumont's agent is... :ph34r:

and no, it's not Boras.

I would be shocked if Aumont fell to #25 at this stage of the game.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
I can tell you EXACTLY who Aumont's agent is... :ph34r:

and no, it's not Boras.

I would be shocked if Aumont fell to #25 at this stage of the game.

Yeah, I figured he wouldn't drop that far considering the various scouts who have raved about his 'stuff.'

If he is selected between #20 and 24, however, I'll be disappointed. This guy will only drop due to his lack of experience, but may turn into the next Rich Harden under proper care.

Nothing like winning 90 useless victories a week and a half after falling out of playoff contention.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
Yeah, I figured he wouldn't drop that far considering the various scouts who have raved about his 'stuff.'

If he is selected between #20 and 24, however, I'll be disappointed. This guy will only drop due to his lack of experience, but may turn into the next Rich Harden under proper care.

Nothing like winning 90 useless victories a week and a half after falling out of playoff contention.

Maybe your philosophy is to tank games at the end, but in my opinion you play each and every game to win. I don't mind you complaining about some of our draft picks and our scouting, but complaining that we won 90 games to me is :chair , no we didnt get to the playoffs... but you never tank games.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
Maybe your philosophy is to tank games at the end, but in my opinion you play each and every game to win. I don't mind you complaining about some of our draft picks and our scouting, but complaining that we won 90 games to me is :chair , no we didnt get to the playoffs... but you never tank games.

Of course you don't purposely tank games. You just sit almost all the starters and put in the prospects.

I don't know how you explain this to Guillen, who I doubt cares about draft position. Podsednik and several other players had incentives and milestones to reach the final week. It'll probably be the same in future seasons.

The point is, even three less games would have been the difference between selecting 21 and 25. If it's the difference between Aumont and someone of lesser stature, did the extra wins really amount to much?

I'll just put it this way -- from someone looking at our best interests this season, if we're obviously down and out at a certain point in August (such as 10+ out of playoff position), I'll hope for the best possibly draft posiiton. No use amassing wins which have no purpose.

In my opinion, after seeing some stuff (not publicly available) on Aumont, he's the real deal, and I think the Sox have little, if any shot, of getting him. I almost expect him to go top ten at this point, but draft day may tell otherwise.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
In my opinion, after seeing some stuff (not publicly available) on Aumont, he's the real deal, and I think the Sox have little, if any shot, of getting him. I almost expect him to go top ten at this point, but draft day may tell otherwise.

Your source of information intrigues me.

Do you believe Greg Peavey will be available at #25? He'd probably be my number two selection under Aumont.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree.

90 "useless" victories? Go root for the f***ing cubs. This isn't the NBA or NFL where the top 10 picks make immediate impacts and there's nobody left after the first round.

Give me success at the major league level over a higher pick.

It's hilarious that flash whines for us to go after more overseas players and LATIN AMERICA, yet here he is complaining about our draft position. Those guys that he wants don't go through the drafting system, so why b**** about pick positions when the major league team doesn't go to the playoffs despite being one of the top teams in the league.

Give it a rest already flash.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
I agree.

90 "useless" victories? Go root for the f***ing cubs. This isn't the NBA or NFL where the top 10 picks make immediate impacts and there's nobody left after the first round.

Give me success at the major league level over a higher pick.

It's hilarious that flash whines for us to go after more overseas players and LATIN AMERICA, yet here he is complaining about our draft position. Those guys that he wants don't go through the drafting system, so why b**** about pick positions when the major league team doesn't go to the playoffs despite being one of the top teams in the league.

Give it a rest already flash.

What difference would it have made if the team won 87 or 90? Oh yeah, the team couldn't say it had to seasons of winning totals 90 or above.

There's no mystery to complaining about both, either. It's because of out draft positions, which are continually 14+, that I stress the need to concentrate on international scouting. When we're wasting picks on Broadway and McCulloch when better players are available, it further magnifies problems.

We'll see what happens in June. There's no shortage of #5 prospects within the organization, so I don't expect a "safe pick" or Broadway clone. We'll also see what happens with overseas scouting. It's been nearly two years since our championship, and if people are doing their job in Venezuela we should have prospects selected just based upon their admiration of Guillen. If f***ing Seattle can pick up Hernandez because Garcia happened to play for them in 2002, it shouldn't be any different for us.

Edited by Flash Tizzle