HR Leaders

SoxFan1

I know it's still early, but I was just looking over the MLB stats, and the HR leaders are quite surprising...

A. Rodriguez - 6

J. Rollins - 5

M. Cabrera - 4

A. Dunn - 4

I. Kinsler - 4

G. Sizemore - 4

WTF? Oh, and chalk up a few more for Sizemore this weekend. Sheesh.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)
Chris Shelton says hi.

Shelton was at least a pretty big guy. Kinsler had 14 last year, Sizemore and Rollins are speed guys.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
Why is Sizemore surprising? As a 23 year old last season he hit 28 but along with that he had 53 doubles. I was fully expecting 35+ from him this season.

Does it really seem logical to you, that a guy with his size, a lead off hitter at that, would hit 35+ HR's. If he hits that many, and with the state of baseball at where it is right now, questions will arise about juicing.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
Shelton was at least a pretty big guy. Kinsler had 14 last year, Sizemore and Rollins are speed guys.

Does it really seem logical to you, that a guy with his size, a lead off hitter at that, would hit 35+ HR's. If he hits that many, and with the state of baseball at where it is right now, questions will arise about juicing.

He just has good natural power, you don't have to be a hulking muscle bound creature to hit a s*** load of HRs, just look at Alfonso Soriano. Some players are just naturally strong despite having a more lean and cut frame. Bulk does not necessarily = power.

And he may bat 1st but he's not a leadoff hitter he's basically the definition of a 3 hole hitter.

Grady Sizemore is not a 'speed' player, he's a natural hitter who drives to ball to all fields. He possesses all tools, unlike a Juan Pierre or Tony Womack who would by your more prototypical speed guys.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
He just has good natural power, you don't have to be a hulking muscle bound creature to hit a s*** load of HRs, just look at Alfonso Soriano. Some players are just naturally strong despite having a more lean and cut frame. Bulk does not necessarily = power.

And he may bat 1st but he's not a leadoff hitter he's basically the definition of a 3 hole hitter.

Grady Sizemore is not a 'speed' player, he's a natural hitter who drives to ball to all fields. He possesses all tools, unlike a Juan Pierre or Tony Womack who would by your more prototypical speed guys.

Well, he's certainly know more for his abilities to get 3B's and SB's, not HR's...thats what I meant by speed guy.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:16 PM)
Well, he's certainly know more for his abilities to get 3B's and SB's, not HR's...thats what I meant by speed guy.

He stole 22 bases last year and hit 28 HRs I don't really get how that works. Just look at his frame right now, he's not exactly a small guy, listed at 6'2" 200 lbs. When you have the abilities at the plate that Grady has you're going to hit some homeruns.

I've also never heard anyone describe Sizemore as a speed player.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
He stole 22 bases last year and hit 28 HRs I don't really get how that works. Just look at his frame right now, he's not exactly a small guy, listed at 6'2" 200 lbs. When you have the abilities at the plate that Grady has you're going to hit some homeruns.

I've also never heard anyone describe Sizemore as a speed player.

No way in hell he is 6'2, 200. He looks so damn small out there. He just doesn't look like a HR hitter.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
No way in hell he is 6'2, 200. He looks so damn small out there. He just doesn't look like a HR hitter.

I don't know what to tell you then, you don't have to be 6'4" 240 to drive the ball. You don get guys like Micky Mantle, Reggie Jackson and Alfonso Soriano who aren't the largest guys but are good enough hitters to where they can drive the ball with authority.

kinsler isn't surprising at all, last season if the rookie class wasn't so stacked i could've seen him taking it. the kid is "country strong" i wouldn't be surprised with a 20+/20 season by him. he hits in a band box and as of last game was moved up to the #2 with lofton infront of him and young behind him, he going to see a steady diet of fastballs and will be challenged esp because Young is a monster with RISP.

.286/.347/.454 with 14 HRs and 11SB last season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Apr 13, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)

maybe you need to check your eyesight lol? He is far from a huge guy but he isnt small at all, and everything he did last season would suggest 35 HR's this season so I dont know why you would think steroids.