An Observation About Erstad

He's overswinging. I think it's because, batting second, he's gotten into the habit of trying to pull through the first base hole. In the first inning, for example, he took a ball on the outer half and tried to turn on it, resulting in a 14-hopper to second. And this has been happening quite a bit lately, whether a runner is on or not. He looks like he's swinging from his heels. The guy looks totally undisciplined up there.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
He's overswinging. I think it's because, batting second, he's gotten into the habit of trying to pull through the first base hole. In the first inning, for example, he took a ball on the outer half and tried to turn on it, resulting in a 14-hopper to second. And this has been happening quite a bit lately, whether a runner is on or not. He looks like he's swinging from his heels. The guy looks totally undisciplined up there.

Observation, thats how most of our hitters hit on this team. Lift and pull.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
I think Erstad will come around. There are a lot of bad swings and misses by Sox hitters. Remember Erstad once had 240 hits in a year so he knows a bit about hitting. However, I do like Iguchi in the #2 spot also.

I was a 12 going on 13 year old in elementary school when Darin Erstad got 240 hits, now I'm a 19 going on 20 year old about to finish my freshman year of college.

Do the math, that's a long time, especially for baseball players.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
An observation about Erstad:

He's a decent backup OF.

Further elaboration on above point:

He's a decent backup OF, being forced into a starting CF job because management fell in love with what he accomplished 7 years ago.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
An observation about Erstad:

He's a decent backup OF.

The Sox don't have anyone to start in CF other than Erstad. And before anyone says something Brian Anderson -- Anderson isn't good enough defensively to replace Pods in late inning situations.He's obviously not a starting major league CF.

Rotoworld:

Darin Erstad went 0-for-5 on Saturday and is hitless in his last 14 at-bats.

Erstad is batting .176 and doesn't have an extra-base hit since homering off C.C. Sabathia in his first at-bat of the season. Because he's slumping, we typically would expect him to sit against the left-hander on Sunday. However, it's Sabathia that the Indians will be throwing, making it likely that Erstad will be in the lineup again.

Good times.

I hope Ozzie sees after this game, there needs to be a change. Have it go...

1. Podsednik, LF

2. Iguchi, 2B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Crede, 3B

8. Uribe, SS

9. Anderson, CF

Just give it a try for a couple of days... thats all I ask!

I can't understand for the life of me, why he thinks 3 lefties followed by 3 righties is an acceptable idea?!?

When he makes that silly lineup, we get situations like today...team uses LOOGY to get the first 3 out, then righty reliever to handle the rest. We never really get back around to the 3 lefties again after that.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 06:26 PM)
I hope Ozzie sees after this game, there needs to be a change. Have it go...

1. Podsednik, LF

2. Iguchi, 2B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Pierzynski, C

7. Crede, 3B

8. Uribe, SS

9. Anderson, CF

Just give it a try for a couple of days... thats all I ask!

That would be my ideal as well. BA needs to play everyday or not at all. Im sure he will tomorrow, and then go 0-4 against CC. If BA is in the 2 hole tomorrow, im quickly changing the channel.

I'm telling you, its the same lineup card Oz carries around daily. Since grindErstad hits 2nd, he just crosses him out and puts Anderson there.

Thats the ONLY explination I have for a low OBP type hitter like BA is at this point in his career being 2nd in the lineup.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 07:06 PM)
I'm telling you, its the same lineup card Oz carries around daily. Since grindErstad hits 2nd, he just crosses him out and puts Anderson there.

Thats the ONLY explination I have for a low OBP type hitter like BA is at this point in his career being 2nd in the lineup.

I think right now, the best chance for our lineup looks like this:

1. PODS

2. Uribe

3. Thome

4. Konerko

5. Dye

6. Iguchi

7. AJP

8 Crede

9 BA

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 14, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
The Sox don't have anyone to start in CF other than Erstad. And before anyone says something Brian Anderson -- Anderson isn't good enough defensively to replace Pods in late inning situations.He's obviously not a starting major league CF.

I dearly hope that's sarcasm.