And That's A White Sox Loser

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
As I mentioned in the game thread, they scored 11 runs in games out there; only scoring 1 in one of those affairs, a game they should have won. That's dramatically better than they've performed in the cold weather.

ORLY?

If you base your belief upon runs scored, the Sox fared a little better. However, when you break down the averages, you'll see hardly anything changed.

Oakland average game-time starting temperature over three days: 59 degrees

Cleveland average game-time starting temperature over three days: 44 degrees

Team average in Oakland: .221.

Team average in Cleveland: .220.

In other words, no difference.

Ozzie made one dumb mistake today in the 9th - pinch hitting Podsednik for Uribe - when down by 1. I'm just of the belief that you don't put a singles hitter in over a power hitter in a 1 run game, especially when Uribe is off to a hot start. Just doesn't make sense to me in the least.

Other than that, he managed well today, and that really wasn't a move that was going to cost the team anyways. This loss is entirely on the offense sucking complete ass.

Agree with Rowand that this team feels good, if you will, right now, but you have to remember this team got outstanding pitching until about June 1 last year when Garland turned his season around. I want to see the pitching be able to keep that up, and the offense has to turn it around, plain and simple.

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Honestly, KW deserves blame for this offense.

Heading into the offseason, we had MAJOR offensive holes at LF, CF, and SS. Now, 2 weeks into the season, we still have major offensive holes at LF, CF, and SS.

Firing Greg Walker will do nothing to change the fact that we start 2 OFs who hit like utility IFs on a CONSISTENT basis. I love KW, but he f'ed up this winter.

Shocking statement: This offense will not get better until we get better hitters.

Except our LF and SS have been our two best hitters. How about throwing some s*** at PK, Dye, Crede, Gooch and Pierzynski? We're simply not hitting right now. It's not just about tough LH pitching. We're not hitting anybody right now.

Edit: Oh, does half of Soxtalk still hate Ozzie for taking Aardsma and Sisco over Boone?

Edited by Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(TheHolyBovine @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Honestly, KW deserves blame for this offense.

Heading into the offseason, we had MAJOR offensive holes at LF, CF, and SS. Now, 2 weeks into the season, we still have major offensive holes at LF, CF, and SS.

Firing Greg Walker will do nothing to change the fact that we start 2 OFs who hit like utility IFs on a CONSISTENT basis. I love KW, but he f'ed up this winter.

Shocking statement: This offense will not get better until we get better hitters.

Actually Uribe has been pretty decent. Pods numbers are about the same as they were for 2005 when he supposedly was a HOFer. Dye, Konerko, Thome, AJP, Crede, Iguchi, Erstad have all done squat. We will see what happens when they play in weather that's appropriate for this sport. I'm sorry, judging the offense in the conditions most of the games have been played in is like judging a QB strickly by his numbers when he's playing in a blizzard. Or judging a kicker when there's a 50 mph wind. I have a hard time believing the offense we have seen is the offense this team will have the remainder of the season. On the other side of the coin, the pitching staff has definitely benefitted from the weather. Its pretty hard to tell what you have when they pitch in below freezing windchill conditions. Hopefully it can at least build some confidence.

How about, for once, we blame the real culprit of the loss today:

We can't hit for s*** right now.

This loss wasn't on Ozzie, he did a pretty good job trying to throw anyone he could there at the end to shake things up. Pods for Uribe is only semi questionable.

Get over it, we lost because we can't hit a damn thing right now, thats all

Ozzie is now contemplating putting Gooch in the 2 hole next week, and putting Grinderstad back down in the order.

Next week we face Texas who's pitchng staff has been near the last in the league in AL in ERA. If they shut us down, then something needs to be done.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)
How about, for once, we blame the real culprit of the loss today:

We can't hit for s*** right now.

This loss wasn't on Ozzie, he did a pretty good job trying to throw anyone he could there at the end to shake things up. Pods for Uribe is only semi questionable.

Get over it, we lost because we can't hit a damn thing right now, thats all

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Ozzie is now contemplating putting Gooch in the 2 hole next week, and putting Grinderstad back down in the order.

Next week we face Texas who's pitchng staff has been near the last in the league in AL in ERA. If they shut us down, then something needs to be done.

Pay heed to these voices of reason. Here's hoping sanity will prevail sooner or later.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Pay heed to these voices of reason. Here's hoping sanity will prevail sooner or later.

Our guys need to go back to shortening their swings up,and concentrating on contact and line drives. They are still in long looping swing for the fence mode right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
Our guys need to go back to shortening their swings up,and concentrating on contact and line drives. They are still in long looping swing for the fence mode right now.

Just bad approach all around. I'm seeing a lot of bad swings in bad counts. That said, the play on the field was still good for two more wins than they got on this road trip. If Jenks doesn't blow a save in Oakland the Sox were looking at a sweep and if some guys executed today in a few situations, this game could have at least gone to extras.

I'm not entirely discouraged from what I've seen. However, there is going to have to be some adjustment made at the plate. It's far to early to write that off.

EDIT: These Guillen strawmen are cracking me up...keep em' coming!

Edited by AddisonStSox

Yeah I'm not sure what Ozzie did that was so wrong when his team can't score one run--he's not the one at the plate. And he obviously managed the pitchers well.

I agree, and how many times have we said this in the past two weeks: ENOUGH with the home run swings? We've all been saying it since ST, yet it continues. Hell I'd rather see bunt attempts then another deep fly to... the right fielder. Or another pop-up to end the inning.

How about some opposite field hitting?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Yeah I'm not sure what Ozzie did that was so wrong when his team can't score one run--he's not the one at the plate. And he obviously managed the pitchers well.

I agree, and how many times have we said this in the past two weeks: ENOUGH with the home run swings? We've all been saying it since ST, yet it continues. Hell I'd rather see bunt attempts then another deep fly to... the right fielder. Or another pop-up to end the inning.

How about some opposite field hitting?

Crede was the real dog of the day> His defense contributed to the loss. And then this temper setup Mack having to face CC late in the game>

Our team needs to figure out how to shorten their swings. The inability to recognize the pattern of low and away and to let the ball get back more in the zone and to drive it up the middle or oppo is making for some disgusting swings. We usually have this issue in August when we try to win via the dong. This is an organizational problem for a while now. We have drafted athletic types who kill the ball. So we preach a fly open, and drive mentality instead of a line drive approach. There are a few of our hitters, the Thome's of the world that just need to let loose. You cant have Thome hitting line drives, he never really has. But the rest of them need to work on line drives. They are currently dragging their bats throught the zone and are getting beat on some bad pitching, and of course good pitching that is hittable. When you see them go to right more, is when you will see them get back on track. When Konerko hits the ball to right center he is dangerous. Sounds a lot like when Thomas was dangerous he would drive the ball to right center. We need a better overall approach to developing our prospects. I would rather see a line drive swing that makes contact, and then you can develop power. Right now look at Anderson as just another guy who comes up unprepared to hit with a big hole low and away. If he starts to shorten that swing, and go oppo more he will be better off.

The pitching is fabulous. We should have only maybe 3 losses now. Our offense needs to figure out how to get its head out of its ass soon, or we will bury this team. Now before anyone quotes Minny's slow start. Is this team capable of playing 700 ball for a good part of the season, if it buries itself to catch up. Thats what Minny did last year.

Wake up offense, and start to support your team.

I agree, good post. How ironic that last year our offense 1st half was killin but our pitchers were letting us down. Now the situation is reversed.

That said, I'll TAKE THAT any day over the former; you HAVE to think that Dye, Crede, Konerko, A.J. can't be in this slump forever. Just bad timing.

But it is indeed a marathon and not a sprint and only nine games in, so I am not about to panic. In fact, the pitching thing makes me more optimistic than not.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
I thought I watched the whole game, but what did he do today that I missed? :huh

Sometimes the hitters have to step up, and its out of the coaches hands.

repeat after me: If the Sox lose, it's because of Ozzie. If the Sox win, it's in spite of Ozzie.

It's a very simple principle.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Ozzie made one dumb mistake today in the 9th - pinch hitting Podsednik for Uribe - when down by 1. I'm just of the belief that you don't put a singles hitter in over a power hitter in a 1 run game, especially when Uribe is off to a hot start. Just doesn't make sense to me in the least.

Other than that, he managed well today, and that really wasn't a move that was going to cost the team anyways. This loss is entirely on the offense sucking complete ass.

Agree with Rowand that this team feels good, if you will, right now, but you have to remember this team got outstanding pitching until about June 1 last year when Garland turned his season around. I want to see the pitching be able to keep that up, and the offense has to turn it around, plain and simple.

Yeah, this. I thought Guillen did a pretty damn good job today aside from pulling Juan and even that I can maybe understand.

I was really hoping they'd move Crede this past offseason and he's only reaffirming this belief with his play thus far this season. KW could have gotten SO much for him.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:03 PM)
repeat after me: If the Sox lose, it's because of Ozzie. If the Sox win, it's in spite of Ozzie.

It's a very simple principle.

I think you're always going to have a few people who hate on the manager for absolutely no reason, no matter who the guy is. I really can't understand any disdain for Oz after today's game but I guess some people just like to look his way after every loss no matter how ridiculous that may be.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:06 PM)
Joe Crede is going to win the AL MVP this year. Just not for the first two weeks of april.

I'll go out on a limb and say he'll never even finish in the top 20 of MVP voting any year of his career. He just doesn't have the tools to be that valuable. ~.800 OPS guys with no speed aren't often awarded with MVPs.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:02 PM)
I agree, good post. How ironic that last year our offense 1st half was killin but our pitchers were letting us down. Now the situation is reversed.

That said, I'll TAKE THAT any day over the former; you HAVE to think that Dye, Crede, Konerko, A.J. can't be in this slump forever. Just bad timing.

But it is indeed a marathon and not a sprint and only nine games in, so I am not about to panic. In fact, the pitching thing makes me more optimistic than not.

The thing that I get a kick out of the post game call in shows and the calls in shows during the week. Everyone that calls talks about bunting, we need a bunt, why are we not bunting more. Bunting to move a runner into a scoring position, I can agree one that. But what has hurt this team for a while is situational hitting. To me, when you talk about the Minnesota Twins and what a grinder is about. Its getting the runner over, by hitting the ball and puting it in play. And by being a tough out. When you get 2 strikes, you should shorten your swing, and get the bat on the ball. A strikeout gains nothing. But we saw late last year and now this year. Long looping home run cuts in situational hitting times. Its like they want to be on sportscenter or the hero. Give yourself up, hit the line drive, hit the single. Dont fall over trying to hit the ball to mars. I thought we got rid of this mentality when Valentin and Lee were let go. Yet we are here, and I see long looping home run cuts. This is what I wanted our team to work on over the ST. Not bunting. This by far comes up more during the season than the bunt does.

Can you hit the ball to right side.

Can you hit the ball back up the middle.

Can you put the ball in play on a hit and run.

Can you be a tought out, fouling off pitches. Working the pitch count.

Can you hit a sac fly.

These are what I consider the grinder mentality that KW talked about when he wanted to Emulate the twins.

Not the popups, not the suicide shrug on the "ooh I almost got into one", not the fall over K on 2 strikes with a man on 2nd and 1 out.

And not the damn bunting.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:07 PM)
I'll go out on a limb and say he'll never even finish in the top 20 of MVP voting any year of his career. He just doesn't have the tools to be that valuable. ~.800 OPS guys with no speed aren't often awarded with MVPs.

Big Pappi ain't exactly a burner on the basepaths.

I know what you're saying...but I just get this sense that he's going to light it up this year. He has a great knack for the dramatic hit, which you have to admit, always factors in to the voting.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
Big Pappi ain't exactly a burner on the basepaths.

I know what you're saying...but I just get this sense that he's going to light it up this year. He has a great knack for the dramatic hit, which you have to admit, always factors in to the voting.

David Ortiz knows how to take a walk, he posted a .961 OPS as a 27 year old and has been posting 100+ OPS seasons since his 25th birthday, Crede is 29 now and his best season by far he posted a .829 OPS. HUGE difference. I'm not really sure where you can compare the 2. If you can't run at all you better be able to take a walk or hit 40+ homeruns or you're just not going to get that sort of recognition.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
The thing that I get a kick out of the post game call in shows and the calls in shows during the week. Everyone that calls talks about bunting, we need a bunt, why are we not bunting more. Bunting to move a runner into a scoring position, I can agree one that. But what has hurt this team for a while is situational hitting. To me, when you talk about the Minnesota Twins and what a grinder is about. Its getting the runner over, by hitting the ball and puting it in play. And by being a tough out. When you get 2 strikes, you should shorten your swing, and get the bat on the ball. A strikeout gains nothing. But we saw late last year and now this year. Long looping home run cuts in situational hitting times. Its like they want to be on sportscenter or the hero. Give yourself up, hit the line drive, hit the single. Dont fall over trying to hit the ball to mars. I thought we got rid of this mentality when Valentin and Lee were let go. Yet we are here, and I see long looping home run cuts. This is what I wanted our team to work on over the ST. Not bunting. This by far comes up more during the season than the bunt does.

Can you hit the ball to right side.

Can you hit the ball back up the middle.

Can you put the ball in play on a hit and run.

Can you be a tought out, fouling off pitches. Working the pitch count.

Can you hit a sac fly.

These are what I consider the grinder mentality that KW talked about when he wanted to Emulate the twins.

Not the popups, not the suicide shrug on the "ooh I almost got into one", not the fall over K on 2 strikes with a man on 2nd and 1 out.

And not the damn bunting.

Winnah! :cheers