And That's A White Sox Loser

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
Why don't you think that Crede's year last year was a fluke?

His power numbers have improved pretty consistently at every point in his career in the majors. You can't see it in his direct SLG%, but by looking at IsoSLG, it's easy to see that they were in fact improving.

2003 - 172

2004 - 179

2005 - 202

2006 - 223

And while he had a step back from 2003 to 2004 overall, his numbers from 2004-2006 show consistent and steady improvement. I think the Crede we all saw last year is the Crede of the future - depending upon the health of his back - with perhaps some slight improvement to an .850 OPS. He shortened his swing a bit, and he started going the other way with the ball instead of trying to pull everything and be a super power hitter.

Plain and simply, I think he's just a good hitter now opposed to early in his career, and that last year wasn't fluke or protection based. That's not to say he can't step back, I just don't think it will be to a sub-100 AdjOPS at any point, unless his back is truly unhealthy, in which case it is not only possible but it becomes likely.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
Yeah I'm not sure what Ozzie did that was so wrong when his team can't score one run--he's not the one at the plate. And he obviously managed the pitchers well.

I agree, and how many times have we said this in the past two weeks: ENOUGH with the home run swings? We've all been saying it since ST, yet it continues. Hell I'd rather see bunt attempts then another deep fly to... the right fielder. Or another pop-up to end the inning.

How about some opposite field hitting?

Ozzie has put a team on the field to succeed, did a good job with subbing, and his management of the bullpen has been top notch. Its not his fault that Konerko does nothing but pop up, that Crede cant see the strike zone and that AJP apparently is going to stay below the mendoza line.

LOL. I think you're right Rock. And for all the stick he took last year for his pitcher management (sometimes deservedly so), I think his bullpen management this year has been spot-on.

Again, the pitching seems to be there. That makes me happy. I can't beleive that one of the most offensive teams of the past two years (no pun intended) is going to be in a slump forever.

Well I suppose KW could have talked JR into opening the checkbook to sign Soriano to play LF, but he's hitting .233 with no homers. I also suppose KW could have made a deal to get Manny Ramirez, but he's hitting .194 with no homers. Maybe they even could have brought Frank Thomas back. He's hitting .200 with 1 homer, and that homer is the only at bat so far this season he has an rbi. Relax. Its early and its been very cold. The offense will get better. Worry about the pitching. Aardsma has looked unhittable. Jenks has been very average. Danks has had the weather help him tremendously. If the Sox pitch well they will win. If they don't they will not.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
LOL. I think you're right Rock. And for all the stick he took last year for his pitcher management (sometimes deservedly so), I think his bullpen management this year has been spot-on.

Again, the pitching seems to be there. That makes me happy. I can't beleive that one of the most offensive teams of the past two years (no pun intended) is going to be in a slump forever.

The pitching is exactly what we need. If you would have told me we would go 3-3 on this road trip, without scoring any runs and with sub .250 BA for the season, I would have told you that you were f***ing nuts. I dont see how we cant go on a run here, it will come. And then all the sunshine and puppy dogs on Soxtalk will be pure comedy.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
Worry about the pitching.

Are you? Im not at this point.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
The pitching is exactly what we need. If you would have told me we would go 3-3 on this road trip, without scoring any runs and with sub .250 BA for the season, I would have told you that you were f***ing nuts. I dont see how we cant go on a run here, it will come. And then all the sunshine and puppy dogs on Soxtalk will be pure comedy.

Are you? Im not at this point.

I think the offense has been hindered by the weather. I think the pitchers have benefitted from it. I really believe Danks would have an ERA of at least 9.00 if the weather was decent in his 2 starts. The thing is not having it 9.00 could build some confidence. Contreras goes from being pounded by the Indians when its 60 degrees to giving up 1 hit when its 35.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)
I think the offense has been hindered by the weather. I think the pitchers have benefitted from it. I really believe Danks would have an ERA of at least 9.00 if the weather was decent in his 2 starts. The thing is not having it 9.00 could build some confidence. Contreras goes from being pounded by the Indians when its 60 degrees to giving up 1 hit when its 35.

Well, it probably helps that Contreras wasn't all shaken up, which clearly looked like it at the time, for whatever reason -- whether because he was just told or recently told of the LA grand jury or whatever.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)

What was the temp in Oakland?

Also, Danks made 2 of the best hitters in the AL (Sizemore and Pronk) look like they didnt have a clue at the plate. That cant be totally weather related.

Edited by RockRaines

Are the Sox going to lose to Sabathia and Sowers and Santana every time we face

them?

Kenny Rogers must be so sad he can't win 5 games against the Sox this season unless

he gets well soon.

It's going to get to the point where fans might start eating their tickets when the

schedule shows a lefty is going to work at the Cell.

This is getting ridiculous.

Hope it's the cold weather.

I know it's early but our offense looks putrid.

Are any of you actually optimistic about the season?

Can we blame it all on the cold weather? Maybe we can.

He's been real bad this season, and Molina outperformed him so far as game-calling today, too.

AJ may be hitting horribly, but this Molina guy hasn't shown signs of being able to

hit even .200 has he?

Does the guy even have a hit yet?

Rock ... I agree the name players you mentioned have to have decent seasons but I would

not include Erstad in there. I'm pretty convinced he is going to have a horrible offensive year

at least as far as batting average.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)

I couldn't agree with you more, Rock...

Splitting this road trip playing like s*** is a miracle in and of itself. Am I happy with some of the losses...no, not really. But, there are a lot of things that can and WILL fall into place before long that will put this team in a position to rattle off a bunch of wins.

The pitching, nothing short of stellar. The hitting, nothing short of s***ty. It will change....

QUOTE(greg775 @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 08:09 PM)
AJ may be hitting horribly, but this Molina guy hasn't shown signs of being able to

hit even .200 has he?

Does the guy even have a hit yet?

AJ's not capable yet this year either, so I'm not sure it matters either way.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
What I meant was -- and I think I made it clear -- is that Molina called a damn good game. AJ's been lacking for the last year, IMO.

If Molina could hit he'd be a valuable major leaguer.

I highly doubt the rookie AA catcher Gustavo Molina is calling his own game. I'd say there's a 99% chance he was getting his pitches from the dugout today.