D'Angelo Jimenez

IlliniKrush

Is he the worst base runner you've ever seen? If not, please provide another name. This guy has no f***ing clue on the basepaths and i'm sick of it. He's not the only one, but my god, this baserunning is killing us. And for him being pretty quick, he is terrible

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Ruben Rivera (the guy on the Giants who made the absolute worst baserunning gaffe I've ever seen outside of a little league field and was released after the game, and the same guy who stole stuff from Derek Jeter when he was on the Yankees) is slightly worse. :D

I'd say Ruben Rivera (the guy on the Giants who made the absolute worst baserunning gaffe I've ever seen outside of a little league field and was released after the game, and the same guy who stole stuff from Derek Jeter when he was on the Yankees) is slightly worse. :D

A nice nomination...that was the worst base running i've ever seen. However, people have their moments, and i don't know everything about Rivera, but i have seen Jimenez for half a year, and he's brutal.

He's not fast..but he's not "slow", which would make it harder for him to be a good base runner. He's fast enough

Whatd Rivera do?

It's impossible to explain. How could you not have seen it? They showed it 10,000 times on TV that night. When they have those highlight reels of the year around the AS break like they always do, check 'em out -- guaranteed to be on there.

It's impossible to explain.  How could you not have seen it?  They showed it 10,000 times on TV that night.  When they have those highlight reels of the year around the AS break like they always do, check 'em out -- guaranteed to be on there.

What did he do?

From what i can remember, he like ran to second, thought the ball was caught and starting running back towards second, then realized it wasn't and was out by a mile at 3rd, but the throw got away...so he took off home and was out by a mile this time, and the catcher held onto the ball. It was pretty bad.

From what i can remember, he like ran to second, thought the ball was caught and starting running back towards second, then realized it wasn't and was out by a mile at 3rd, but the throw got away...so he took off home and was out by a mile this time, and the catcher held onto the ball. It was pretty bad.

Heh, you did a pretty good job of explaining it, but to truly appreciate how bad it was you have to see it. It looked like a BAD little league play -- and that's pretty bad.

Whatd Rivera do?

You've never seen that?

Someone hit a ball out to David Delucci in RF at Pac Bell park. I can't remember the situation exactly, but I think Rivera was on 1B, he got half way, and then the ball dropped in(though it looked like Delucci was going to make the play). So when it landed, Rivera started sprinting toward 3B, but he missed 2B. So he then went and touched 2B, started on his way to 3B, and when he was about 5 steps away, the ball got to 3B and the 3Bman dropped the ball. So Rivera started to go home once that happened, and he was nailed at the plate by about 5-10 steps.

Anyways....I think the only two people that might be worse baserunners in the past 10 years for the White Sox are Carlos Lee circa 2000-2002(because he's been much better and much more aggressive this year) and Frank Thomas.

I think Jose Valentin needs to teach a course on base running, because there is no way in hell that he doesn't score on Maggs's hit in the 9th. DJ's just got to pay attention. It was quite obvious the ball was going to land 10 feet in front of Mohr in RF, but he had to slow up to make sure.

Give credit to Mohr though....he did kind of deak them. He had his glove up like he was going to catch it, but he then put it down when he was going to field the ball.

You've never seen that?

Someone hit a ball out to David Delucci in RF at Pac Bell park.  I can't remember the situation exactly, but I think Rivera was on 1B, he got half way, and then the ball dropped in(though it looked like Delucci was going to make the play).  So when it landed, Rivera started sprinting toward 3B, but he missed 2B.  So he then went and touched 2B, started on his way to 3B, and when he was about 5 steps away, the ball got to 3B and the 3Bman dropped the ball.  So Rivera started to go home once that happened, and he was nailed at the plate by about 5-10 steps.

Anyways....I think the only two people that might be worse baserunners in the past 10 years for the White Sox are Carlos Lee circa 2000-2002(because he's been much better and much more aggressive this year) and Frank Thomas.

I think Jose Valentin needs to teach a course on base running, because there is no way in hell that he doesn't score on Maggs's hit in the 9th.  DJ's just got to pay attention.  It was quite obvious the ball was going to land 10 feet in front of Mohr in RF, but he had to slow up to make sure. 

Give credit to Mohr though....he did kind of deak them.  He had his glove up like he was going to catch it, but he then put it down when he was going to field the ball.

Solid explanation.

Ya, players deke like that all the time, but it hardly ever works, usually guys can tell it's going to drop in. He should have scored.

You've never seen that?

Someone hit a ball out to David Delucci in RF at Pac Bell park.  I can't remember the situation exactly, but I think Rivera was on 1B, he got half way, and then the ball dropped in(though it looked like Delucci was going to make the play).  So when it landed, Rivera started sprinting toward 3B, but he missed 2B.  So he then went and touched 2B, started on his way to 3B, and when he was about 5 steps away, the ball got to 3B and the 3Bman dropped the ball.  So Rivera started to go home once that happened, and he was nailed at the plate by about 5-10 steps.

I think Jose Valentin needs to teach a course on base running, because there is no way in hell that he doesn't score on Maggs's hit in the 9th.  DJ's just got to pay attention.  It was quite obvious the ball was going to land 10 feet in front of Mohr in RF, but he had to slow up to make sure. 

Give credit to Mohr though....he did kind of deak them.  He had his glove up like he was going to catch it, but he then put it down when he was going to field the ball.

After I've seen Jose score from 3rd and 1 out on TWO of Borchard's infield pop ups and after I've seen him score from SECOND on a deep sacrifice FO in 2000....I have no doubt he scores on that single.

The worst part about it is Jimenez is a step faster than either Maggs, Jose or Lee...Little f***er.

You've never seen that?

After I've seen Jose score from 3rd and 1 out on TWO of Borchard's infield pop ups and after I've seen him score from SECOND on a deep sacrifice FO in 2000....I have no doubt he scores on that single.

The worst part about it is Jimenez is a step faster than either Maggs, Jose or Lee...Little f***er.

I just don't think he tries sometimes.

Im pretty fast but that doesnt mean Im a great baserunner. I run hard all the time (even on easy groundouts to first), I slide well and on routine ground outs Ill make it tough on ya and I beat quite a few balls out. But sometimes I do stupid things. The other day I hit a ball to deep right and as I was running towards second, the SS caught the ball and I jumped up and into him as hard as I could. I was out. Ya had to be there to see it...

Frank?! No way dude. Frank's not very fast obviously and he's reluctant to slide, but for a guy as big as he is I'd say he's pretty good. He almost NEVER costs the Sox runs on the base paths due to mental mistakes. I can deal with physical mistakes -- mental mistakes are unacceptable.

My baserunning and smarts were probably my best asset. I never had the "5 Tool Talent" so to speak but I was always one of the best cause I never did something stupid.

If a pitcher wasn't paying attention, I'd take an extra base. Outfielder held onto the ball to long, you run when you wouldn't. Almost never would I get thrown out. I mean during a game (Less during major league baseball) you get opportunties when you catch a player sleeping and for me I'd always take advantage of them.

Was also a good defensive player and a good pitcher. Hitting was never my strong point. I never learned how in the hell you hit opposite field. Going opposite field for me was hitting it over 2nd base. Also was a good bunter.

Damn I wish I could still play all the time instead of just playing every once in a while.

Frank?!  No way dude.  Frank's not very fast obviously and he's reluctant to slide, but for a guy as big as he is I'd say he's pretty good. He almost NEVER costs the Sox runs on the base paths due to mental mistakes.  I can deal with physical mistakes -- mental mistakes are unacceptable.

He's a station to station baserunner. He may not be bad for his size, but it's not always fun to see him run the bases.

He's a station to station baserunner.  He may not be bad for his size, but it's not always fun to see him run the bases.

He's station to station because of physical limitations (he's not very fast) -- but he gets good reads on the ball most of the time.

My baserunning and smarts were probably my best asset. I never had the "5 Tool Talent" so to speak but I was always one of the best cause I never did something stupid.

If a pitcher wasn't paying attention, I'd take an extra base.  Outfielder held onto the ball to long, you run when you wouldn't.  Almost never would I get thrown out.  I mean during a game (Less during major league baseball) you get opportunties when you catch a player sleeping and for me I'd always take advantage of them. 

Was also a good defensive player and a good pitcher.  Hitting was never my strong point.  I never learned how in the hell you hit opposite field.  Going opposite field for me was hitting it over 2nd base.  Also was a good bunter. 

Damn I wish I could still play all the time instead of just playing every once in a while.

I seem to be similar to the player you are/were

I miss playing baseball so much now. I'd do anything to be 12 again and be able to play some little league and high school ball again.

The first time I ever pitcked up a bat I was, what, 15...so even with my height and leverage, I will never be a really good hitter.

But I can field (SS/CF...what fun is it to play 1st, lol) pretty well, not great, and as I already mentioned before, I take sliding very seriously in order to avoid injuries.

He's station to station because of physical limitations (he's not very fast) -- but he gets good reads on the ball most of the time.

He must have been waiting for Jimenez to leave 2B then last night, because Thomas was half-way on Maggs's hit.

I am our leadoff hitter for our softball team. I play short and use my speed to kill people. If anything I am too aggresive as if I even see a remote chance I am trying to make someone throw me out. But I was in track for years so the speed part isn't a surprise. I just have never been a good hitter, I have zero pwer.