Brian Anderson and winter ball again...

hitlesswonder

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
What two run homer in a 2-1 game? I see Thome with a solo shot in the 4th and a run scoring single in the eighth.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playbyplay?g...mp;refresh=null

Yeah, I was going strickly from memory on that one, not really close. Anyway, that's a late game RBI right there. I'm still waiting for some of Pods' big late game moments.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
That's the funny part. You can't seem to have a differing opinion without it being blown up into something it is not. I was one who loved the deal to get Thome, and the fact that it meant Frank was moving on. I still think Thome is a great player, and will have a great year, he just hasn't done anything big so far, but really no one on the offensive side of the game has been clutch except for Uribe.

I'm not blowing anything out of proportion here, it just seems Thome can't catch a break. I don't know what more some people want from him, he should not be lumped in with Konerko, Dye and Crede right now because he's producing on a whole 'nother level. He's had a grand total of 7 PA with RISP and he's come through 4 out of the 7 times and 1 of those was a HR. It's not his fault that he's not getting the opportunities.

If Thome hadn't taken so much unnecessary s*** last year it probably wouldn't bother me nearly as much as it does.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
Yeah, I was going strickly from memory on that one, not really close. Anyway, that's a late game RBI right there. I'm still waiting for some of Pods' big late game moments.

See my last comment.... pretty much only Uribe has been clutch when it really mattered. Pods has actually just been doing what he should be doing in getting on base consistantly. Then again we don't pay him for 40 homers and 120 RBIs, so I don't expect that from him either.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
See my last comment.... pretty much only Uribe has been clutch when it really mattered. Pods has actually just been doing what he should be doing in getting on base consistantly. Then again we don't pay him for 40 homers and 120 RBIs, so I don't expect that from him either.

You just seemed to quantify a 'good hitter' as someone who gets big hits late in games and since Pods and Uribe are supposedly the only 'good hitters' right now I just assumed that Pods had some big moments this year that I don't remember.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
You just seemed to quantify a 'good hitter' as someone who gets big hits late in games....

People always posted the same things about Frank Thomas -- how "un-clutch" he was. Apparently it's tradition for the Sox to have a HOF-caliber DH who people don't fully appreciate.

And seriously -- how many RBI opportunities has Thome gotten this season? It can't be that many....

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
You just seemed to quantify a 'good hitter' as someone who gets big hits late in games and since Pods and Uribe are supposedly the only 'good hitters' right now I just assumed that Pods had some big moments this year that I don't remember.

For me it is actually a combination of watching games and the statistics. I know for many it is one or the other, but I don't get into playing games on paper too much, or falling in blind love/hate with a player.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
When has he gotten a big hit late in a game this year? The only thing I can find is the run scoring single in Oakland. Everything else has been way early in games.

So runs late in the game mean more than runs early in the game?

Heh -- ya learn something new every day!

I'm still waiting for Thome to do anything clutch in the 9th inning. However, he's the least of our offensive problems now. It's almost like the opposite of the first few months last year, when we had like 7 of our 9 offensive hitters doing well. Brian Anderson will never be a full-time starter under Ozzie again. I don't know what Anderson/McCarthy have done off the field, but I think Ozzie's doghouse is a one-way street.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
I'm still waiting for Thome to do anything clutch in the 9th inning. However, he's the least of our offensive problems now. It's almost like the opposite of the first few months last year, when we had like 7 of our 9 offensive hitters doing well. Brian Anderson will never be a full-time starter under Ozzie again. I don't know what Anderson/McCarthy have done off the field, but I think Ozzie's doghouse is a one-way street.

I for one, am glad that BMAC ended up in the doghouse. Danks/Masset will help us much more.

QUOTE(quickman @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
Who the hell cares about Brian Andersen. He is nothing, he will not get us to the playoffs nor might he be anything other than what he is. I know people like him because he is young, a surfer dude, who acts kool, but the guy is a non entity. Really who cares. Move on he is a fringe player.

Most of us care about Brian because we believe he is the best option we have to play center and he's got completely raw deal here. Simple enough?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
I for one, am glad that BMAC ended up in the doghouse. Danks/Masset will help us much more.

Aint that the truth. I liked Brandon as much as anyone, probably because he reminded me of one of my favorite sox pitchers in build and all, Blackjack. But Danks has stones, and Masset has been good.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 05:27 PM)

That is true, but I don't think any of us want to see a pattern where Ozzie continues to have issues getting along with players that eventually the only solution is to trade them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
That is true, but I don't think any of us want to see a pattern where Ozzie continues to have issues getting along with players that eventually the only solution is to trade them.

If it is true that the players in question are bad in the clubhouse and are ill prepared, then I wouldnt mind.

The thing with Thome is that as good as he is, he's still not going to be anything above average (at best) against all the LHP we face. Thus, we need the rest of the order to pick it up against them. If Hall doesn't return, we're looking at having to get production from Anderson and Molina against the tough LHP we face. If guys like Iguchi can't improve vs LHP, you're looking at a lineup with way too many easy outs. It's too bad we couldn't replace Mackowiak on the roster with Eduardo Perez.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 12:40 PM)
During his entire time with the Sox, I don't recall him doing any damage in the 9th inning or later in a game.

Hmmm... well, he did deliever the only hit (a homerun) in a 1-0 defeat of the St. Louis Cardinals in the 7th inning, if IIRC.