Fire Greg Walker

RockRaines

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing to point as, as for Walker's blame percentage here... this team has a lot of offensive talent, and have during his years here (2005-2007). And yet, look at how amazingly inconsistent they've been. Red hot the first half of 2006, and for the occasional few weeks in 2005. But very hot and cold. That is the hallmark of a talented but unguided bunch.

I still want to wait till the weather is consistently warmer (who knows, maybe our guys just can't deal with it like other guys can...hard to plan a team around who is a cold-weather hitter though), but I'm very close to being convinced that Walker is a bum.

The one highlight was first half last year when everybody's average was high because they were line-driving everything and pulling only the appropriate pitches. Honestly, I have no clue how it happened. Half a season of EVERYBODY (but Uribe) performing that way seems like more than fluke so Walker might have the ability to revert the club to that form, but I'm not sure he's getting the word from above to do so.

Seems like an organizational philosophy to me. Ouch.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
Another thing to point as, as for Walker's blame percentage here... this team has a lot of offensive talent, and have during his years here (2005-2007). And yet, look at how amazingly inconsistent they've been. Red hot the first half of 2006, and for the occasional few weeks in 2005. But very hot and cold. That is the hallmark of a talented but unguided bunch.

The most damning thing for me, is when you see quotes in the paper of Walk tinkering.

Rowand hits .320 in the month of May and is tearing it up in 05. He had a nice short compact swing. Looking good, hitting a lot of line drives. Then he and Walk work on getting around on the ball and drive it more. They want more power. This happens in San Diego. Rowand starts to get exposed like all of our lift and pull hitters to low and away. By the end of the year, he is a none factor because he cannot recognize low and away.

Carlos Lee is on a 28 game hitting streak, driving in runs hitting doubles at a great point. He and Walk decide to change his swing to get more power. It comes back to haunt the sox in August, when Carlos starts taking long looping swings striking out against the twins with men on. KW gets verbal in the paper and how bad Carlos's approach is.

AJ and his approach and how its changed.

This team will hit a lot of homers, they are very very very streaky. THey might go off for a month, where they will just crush teams. But when the big series comes up, against good and medicore pitching and their butts pucker up and they press. Their swing gets long again, and they cannot adjust. Look at what has happened to the Yankees in the playoffs for an example of power teams with home run approaches versus good pitchin g.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
Hey come on everyone. That Tejeda guy has some of the best stuff I've see around. Sometimes you have to just tip your cap.

/Hawk impersonation

Hawk turned a 2 pitch pitcher, into a 7 pitch pitcher who is unhittable. The Cy Youngification of bad pitchers by Hawk and DJ is sad.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Hey guess what. The playoffs in 2005 were not the warmest nights of the year, but we hit just fine. We hit better than the other team did. Greg you are f***ED here, resign or be fired.

Game 2 was f***ing freezing with rain and horrible conditions. Konerko looked pretty good there.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)
Hey guess what. The playoffs in 2005 were not the warmest nights of the year, but we hit just fine. We hit better than the other team did. Greg you are f***ED here, resign or be fired.

Good point... :hawk:

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
wouldn't this be a bit rash at this point? I can see if this continues for the whole month, but less than 15 games into the season? yikes.

Look at Walker's career, as noted in other posts. This isn't 15 days of suckage. Its a few years of it.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)
wouldn't this be a bit rash at this point? I can see if this continues for the whole month, but less than 15 games into the season? yikes.

We havent even scored 40 runs yet. We are currently scoring runs at a worse pace than the f***ing Royals. Its time to stir things up before we are a lost cause.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:53 AM)

Its not just this season, its his entire body of work and how he screws up everyone's swings in the quest for more power.

He's like Tim Allen on Home Improvement. If it ain't broke, try to get more power until it is.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
We havent even scored 40 runs yet. We are currently scoring runs at a worse pace than the f***ing Royals. Its time to stir things up before we are a lost cause.

Wait, Rock, it's been hard to tell from your presence in this thread. Do you want Greg Walker fired?

Edited by Steve9347

Its just horrible to me that we have only scored 39 runs thus far in this season. Thats 21 less that the freakin twins.

I was just joshing. The approach our hitters have had this season is reprehensible. Last night, we all knew Crede was going to get busted low and away. If he can't make an adjustment and hit the ball to opposite field, when the whole stadium knew that's where ever pitch in the at bat was going, well, he needs to be coached better.

I completely agree with you, Rock. You and your gravity-defying tittied, beer guzzling little lady over there.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
At least I am a trend setter. I was way ahead of the curve on this one.

You've definitely been clamoring it on to get rid of Walk. And towards the latter part of the season last year, I started to agree with you. He needs to go. This pull-the-ball-and-swing-for-the-fences crap isn't working. I know high school hitting coaches that teach hitting better than Walker. Bring someone in here who will really teach small ball. Someone who strives for opposite field line drives and someone who can take a power hitting team and balance them out.

NOTE: The 1st thing I did in Franchise Mode on MLB 2k7 was fire Greg Walker. No lie.

Edited by SoxFan1

Its just horrible to me that we have only scored 39 runs thus far in this season. Thats 21 less that the freakin twins.

Speaking of the Twins...I recently saw the OPS ranks of the piranhas (2B,3B,LF,SS):

Twins Positional OPS ranks among AL teams:

OPS RANK

C .708 5th

1B .982 1st

2B .525 13th

SS .509 12th

3B .461 14th

LF .384 13th

CF .872 4th

RF .911 5th

DH .752 6th

Which I think goes to show that I wouldn't want Ozzie Guillen picking out who gets to play on my team (if I owned a team).

I'm sort of biased towards liking Walker because he played for the Sox when I first started paying attention to baseball (which may have been one of the great mistakes of my life). But I'm all for moving him to some other organizational job if the Sox have a decent replacement in mind (someone that's a disciple of the Texas hitting coach?).

I don't think that alone will fix the Sox. The offense has been bad for several months now going back to the second half of last season. It's possible Crede's year of excellence was a fluke (or he's hurt), and AJ, Iguchi, and Dye are all of an age where diminishing skills are a possibility. Still, it's hard to sit any of those guys given their track records. The place the Sox can upgrade is the outfield where they decided to play 2 sub .700 OPS outfielders (Pods start nothwithstanding). If Williams wants to try to salvage the season, he needs to fill those spots with players that aren't complete ciphers at the plate (and I don't mean Brian Anderson). Otherwise, I think he should just get ready for a big firesale in month or so.

Man, if they go all white flag/firesale this year... one shudders.

Although somebody here posted either an article or an opinion that really the rebuilding is already underway and KW is just biding his time but really looking forward to... 2009.

Ugh. I don't even want to think about it.

I originally thought of all this not to blame Walker because these guys have all hit in the past and I can't understand what's changed in them. The stories of him "changing" people to these home run swings, though, horrify me. And where's the damn bunting?

So I will join the consensus in calling for his head; although I like the idea of just moving him somewhere else in the organization.