Kenny is a funny guy

shawnhillegas

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
His OBP in 2005 was .342, in 2006 .352, this year .317. .350 OBP would be incorrect. He has decent speed, not good, decent. You would be incorrect. Google search this homie. If you can't answer with those names now then f*** it. I gave you the opportunity to back it up. You can't or decide not to then that is your problem, not mine.

So you are saying he is losing his OBP because he has to hit for more power? H-O-R-S-E-S-H-I-T! You have never seen him hit well in any slot other than #2 because that is all he has done.

You've never seen him hit poorly in the 1 spot.

1 spot and 6-8 spots are much different.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
They are better? How so? Dellucci has an on-base percentage of .350 or better twice in the last 6 years. His career batting average is .262. He had one season where he hit 29 home runs, but hasn't ever come close to that before. You are overvaluing him I believe. Nixon is always hurt and can't hit lefthanders. How exactly are they better? Maybe the grass is always greener for you.

He's also had an OBP of .367 and .369 in his past two seasons. Or do you just not count those?

His OBP over his past 1206 PAs is .359. How do you disqualify that? How about an .853 OPS over the same time period? He's good, and about 150 to 200 points of OPS better than Podsednik. Even playing solely against RHP, he'd be an amazing LFer for the White Sox.

Nixon cost $1 mill and is putting up a .292/.370/.417/.787 line thus far. Guess what other OFer cost $1 mill? He's hitting .156, if that helps you figure it out.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's also had an OBP of .367 and .369 in his past two seasons. Or do you just not count those?

His OBP over his past 1206 PAs is .359. How do you disqualify that? How about an .853 OPS over the same time period? He's good, and about 150 to 200 points of OPS better than Podsednik. Even playing solely against RHP, he'd be an amazing LFer for the White Sox.

Nixon cost $1 mill and is putting up a .292/.370/.417/.787 line thus far. Guess what other OFer cost $1 mill? He's hitting .156, if that helps you figure it out.

What out of 2 out of 6 did you not understand? Those .367 and .369 are the only ones in the past 6 years.

Nixon cost 3 million and will be hurt soon, as he always is every season.

Nice try though.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow.

YIKES!

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've never seen him hit poorly in the 1 spot.

1 spot and 6-8 spots are much different.

So you are saying that we must see it in order to believe that he will or won't hit in the 1 spot? OK, I will go for that, but how long do you give him if he isn't hitting in that spot?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate using career numbers, but Delluci's career OPS+ is 103 to Podsednik's 89 and Erstad's 96. If you use three year splits, a much better indicator of what these players will do going forward, the scales tip heavily on Delluci's favor.

Nixon crushes righties -- something that Podsednik or Erstad don't do. His OPS borders .900 (vs righties) over his career, a .150 point increase over our current (DLed) LFer. He also came on a cheap one year deal. He would've been a perfect fit.

Who cares if he can't hit lefties? Neither can Erstad nor Podsednik.

BTW -- there is no indication that guys hit better/worse in different spots. You're talking like Iguchi would just crumble under the pressure of having to go from hitting second to first. When he gets 500 ABs in the one spot and has a .300 OBP, then you can (start) to talk about him not being a capable leadoff man. Until then...

You are right. It is all hearsay. Just as you think he would hit great in the leadoff spot I think he will hit poorly. He has proven to be a poor hitter in every other slot but 2nd. You could be right about him being a great leadoff hitter and I could be right that he would suck. My guess is that neither of us will ever know.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)
What out of 2 out of 6 did you not understand? Those .367 and .369 are the only ones in the past 6 years.

Nice try though.

So you're twisting stats? K

Regardless, I'll take his .349 in 2001 and .342 in 2004 too.

Erstad costs $1 mill, and will be hurt soon, as he always is every season. Atleast Nixon produces.

Nice try though

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 03:53 AM)

Hmm... sounds like somebody on the Sox. You sure you're not talking about Podsednik? At least he (Nixon) produces damn well when he's healthy.

You are right. It is all hearsay. Just as you think he would hit great in the leadoff spot I think he will hit poorly. He has proven to be a poor hitter in every other slot but 2nd. You could be right about him being a great leadoff hitter and I could be right that he would suck. My guess is that neither of us will ever know.

How many at-bats has he had not in the two spot in his career? Whatever the answer is, I know it's not nearly enough to make any conclusion from it. It's laughable that you're trying to base an argument off of it.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Hey, I know this is a lot to ask, but how about we wait till Pods is hitting below .300 before we throw him under the bus? I know he's on the DL but we paid next to nothing for him, in major-league terms.

Obviously, Ichiro, amongst others, is a far superior player but if the Sox are willing to give up market value in prospects for him, I damn near guarantee you someone else will sell their entire farm just to get him. I'd rather not do that. Our best hope to land him is free agency, if you ask me.

So, thusfar, Pods has been a more-than-adequate player for the price we paid. And there are a lot of ridiculous claims being made as to who's better than Pods. e.g. Gload for leadoff man? Hahahaha....

Well to me, I'm more irritated with the guy who is currently leading off, not the one that should be if not on the DL(though, he still will struggle to steal bases on his return).

To be able to justify someone like grindErstad not only playing daily, but LEADING OFF is amazing.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 12:31 AM)
Hey, I know this is a lot to ask, but how about we wait till Pods is hitting below .300 before we throw him under the bus? I know he's on the DL but we paid next to nothing for him, in major-league terms.

Obviously, Ichiro, amongst others, is a far superior player but if the Sox are willing to give up market value in prospects for him, I damn near guarantee you someone else will sell their entire farm just to get him. I'd rather not do that. Our best hope to land him is free agency, if you ask me.

So, thusfar, Pods has been a more-than-adequate player for the price we paid. And there are a lot of ridiculous claims being made as to who's better than Pods. e.g. Gload for leadoff man? Hahahaha....

It's going to be a month at the least until he's even able to run again (his words not mine), that is just ridiculous. The lower half of his body is falling apart and he just can not be relied upon to stay healthy, he has proven as much. Knowing this I don't see any reason why he was brought back with absolutely no legitimate backup plan in place.

Podsednik is going to miss atleast a quarter of the season, (how exactly is this adequate?) give me one good reason why he shouldn't be thrown under the bus.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 12:34 AM)
Well to me, I'm more irritated with the guy who is currently leading off, not the one that should be if not on the DL(though, he still will struggle to steal bases on his return).

To be able to justify someone like grindErstad not only playing daily, but LEADING OFF is amazing.

In the espn.com chat with Keith Law he said Erstad was the worst starting player in the AL. He also said the White Sox must be trying not to score runs with him leading off.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 06:05 AM)
In the espn.com chat with Keith Law he said Erstad was the worst starting player in the AL. He also said the White Sox must be trying not to score runs with him leading off.

It really is just plain ridiculous to have him leading off, and he shouldn't even be starting. Its embarassing.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 08:08 AM)
It boggles the mind. Not only has Ozzie made the choice to start Erstad, but he took it a step further, making sure he gets the most AB's possible(being in the 1 hole)

Simply incredible.

Hey, but he made the ESPN all Under .200 team, albeit out of position, in Left Field! Come on guys, this guy plays the game "the right way."

Honestly, I think it's unfair to criticize a guy for getting injured while working out on an off day in an attempt to avoid injury, but I've long been fighting a losing battle around here in regards to Scottie. Regardless, the answer is not Iguchi...I think he's too valuable in the two-slot to bother moving him, but I would settle for this lineup:

1) Mackowiak LF

2) Iguchi 2b

3) Thome DH

4) Konerko 1b

5) Dye RF

6) Pierzynski C

7) Crede 3b

8) Uribe SS

9) Anderson CF

Unfortunately, it's fairly clear Ozzie won't bench Darin for any prolonged period as long as he is on the team in my opinion. I think he would have to be released before his playing time would get significantly reduced, so I've accepted that I may well cheer for the bum instead of griping about him every MOMENT OF MY WAKING LIFE. Damn, that GrindErstad pisses me off...pisses me right off.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Hey, but he made the ESPN all Under .200 team, albeit out of position, in Left Field! Come on guys, this guy plays the game "the right way."

Yeah I really don't know how they managed to leave Pujols off that list.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:56 PM)
Judging by the way Tada handled the two hole as a hitter, I don't believe ego is something that is a problem with him. He sacrficed statistics for two years to try to make his team win, and I don't think playing second fiddle to Irchiro would bother him at all.

Iguchi is already, like, 8th fiddle on the team. Are we talking about Japanese fiddles? Do you think they care about their Japanese fiddle ranking?