Tunnel between Alaska and Russia

southsideirish71

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
I find it difficult to imagine this being economically feasible considering the conditions, and that totally neglects the fire risk issues.

The only way this would work, is if it was powered by the quest for oil. I could of sworn that Siberia had some untapped oil underneath it. If we made a push into Siberia with the help of Russia/and the US that could be the financial model that could make it feasible.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
The only way this would work, is if it was powered by the quest for oil. I could of sworn that Siberia had some untapped oil underneath it. If we made a push into Siberia with the help of Russia/and the US that could be the financial model that could make it feasible.

I read in an article the other day that they estimate they haven't even tapped into about 98.5 percent of the mineral and energy resouces they have in Siberia.

NO f***ING WAY.

Not to either of them. Not that its scary or anything. Its just pointless. Remember those things called planes? Yeah. We still have them. They go from here to there in about seven hours. Are we really in such a hurry that we have to spend billions more dollars to save people six hours? Thats pretty sad.

Another thing, what happens when something goes drastically wrong and the tunnel, perhaps, collapses? What then? If a plane crashes, its sad, but we can keep on flying. If this tunnel has a major malfunction, its just over. Whoosh! A billion dollars down the drain.

And at the risk of sounding fruity, flying is just a beautiful thing. I love long flights to and from exotic places. Especially night flights. So quiet and serene, I definitely wouldnt want to trade it for fifty minutes in a damn tunnel.

The tunnel to Alaska is a terrible idea, no way Id do that, would feel like Im trapped.

Now that train to London could be interesting but like it said in the link the currents could hurt it and I dont think the support would work well.

What do I know though.