Brian Anderson

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Hey, Brian, less time talking, more time being a good baseball player.

You are an automatic out. Shut your mouth.

At least it sounds like Anderson is coming to grips with the fact that he, himself, has put himself in this position, nobody else--something the Soxtalk community can not seem to grasp.

And how exactly is he supposed to be a "good baseball player" when he isn't playing?

I expect him to just stop showing up very soon if he isn't demoted to AAA or gets playing time. He'll demand a trade and, imo, rightfully so. I know there have been questions concerning his work ethic and such, but I thought his lesson was handed down to him second half of last season when his playing time shrunk considerably. Supposedly he went to great lengths to work on his hitting approach this winter, had a good spring, and he's still being punished for last season. How long is daddy Oz going to keep him grounded? At what point do Oz and KW decide that he's made the changes necessary to earn a bit of PT? The guy in front of him on the depth chart is what, 1 for his last 40 and yet BA has had one start during that stretch? If he was told, behind closed doors, that his attitude and preparation were keeping him from starting, he's made amends, and now finds himself getting s*** on again. What's the point of continuing to follow their rules? It doesn't get him anywhere.

I by no means believe that BA has the potential to be a great player, but I do think he can be a solid contributor if given the opportunity to learn the nuances of the major leagues. I think that he knows it too. Playing on this team under Ozzie is getting him nowhere quick. He might as well have gotten out of a baseball for a year at this rate.

Incidentally, KW had best me monitoring these comments closely. If he gets the sense, as I have, that BA is going to start demanding a trade then his value goes to nothing. KW has to make a decision one way or the other with Brian quickly or he loses a ton of value.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
Hey, Brian, less time talking, more time being a good baseball player.

You are an automatic out. Shut your mouth.

At least it sounds like Anderson is coming to grips with the fact that he, himself, has put himself in this position, nobody else--something the Soxtalk community can not seem to grasp.

How do you know? He's had 9 plate appearances this year. It's hard to tell anything by 9 plate appearances.

On the other hand, Darin Erstad's had the worst 50 plate appearances I've seen since Brian Anderson, who was a rookie as opposed to a 12 year vet.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 04:58 PM)
The Sox should just abduct Grady Sizemore so we can end this entire thing. Kick both Anderson and Erstad to the curb.

You know, if they had gone out and found an actual replacement for Brian Anderson there would be no problem here. The only problem is they went out and signed the same exact player only 8 years older.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Well, Mack is a pretty fluid OFer in his own right, and normally, has a much shorter swing. We have enough long, loopy swings in the lineup, and even though I'm a pretty big BA fan, I'm all for playing the guy that is getting on base. They both play damn good defense.

I have absolutely 0 problem with Mack in left field, in fact, I love Mack in left. Brian should be playing center right now, period.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
It seems to me that OG and KW need to sit down with BA and explain exactly how he fits into or out of their plans.

I'm not sure they have a clue either. Look at what they're doing right now- it doesn't make much sense...

I think this is the more telling commentary later in the article by Cowley:

"But Rowand is a different animal than Anderson. Rowand would run through a wall because he was told to. Anderson would run through a wall because it seemed fun and could land him a few ''honeys'' along the way."

I really wish the Sox would trade him to a lousy team where he starts every day, hits .216, is sent down to the minors, and never heard from again. This guy has shown he can't hit Major League pitching and probably never will.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 06:23 AM)
I think this is the more telling commentary later in the article by Cowley:

"But Rowand is a different animal than Anderson. Rowand would run through a wall because he was told to. Anderson would run through a wall because it seemed fun and could land him a few ''honeys'' along the way."

I really wish the Sox would trade him to a lousy team where he starts every day, hits .216, is sent down to the minors, and never heard from again. This guy has shown he can't hit Major League pitching and probably never will.

In some 410 odd career ABs, hes shown that he has no ability to hit MLB pitching, huh. Thats enough of a sample size for me, I'm sold!!

Just in case people still forget that rookies tend to..gasp...struggle in their first go round:

Barry Bonds‘ rookie year: .223/.330/.416.

Bernie Williams‘ rookie year: .238/.336/.350.

Andruw Jones‘ rookie year: .231/.329/.416.

Aramis Ramirez’s rookie year: .235/.296/.351.

Michael Young’s rookie year: .249/.298/.402.

Troy Glaus‘ rookie year: .218/.280/.291.

Carlos Delgado’s rookie year: .215/.352/.438.

Alfonso Soriano's rookie year: .268/.304/.432.

Torii Hunter's rookie year: .255/.309/.380

Brian Anderson's rookie year: .225/.290/.359

Lets cast him off, cut our losses while we can get something for him, and go with the exact same player, but 8 years older!!

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 05:28 AM)
In some 410 odd career ABs, hes shown that he has no ability to hit MLB pitching, huh. Thats enough of a sample size for me, I'm sold!!

And besides that, didn't Ozzie want this team based on pitching and defense? Wouldn't it be nice to have one of the best defensive cf's in baseball out there everday? Could you imagine how nice it would be to have Mack in left and Brian in center? It'd make me(and I'm sure everyone else) about a billion times more comfortable with the outfield, we'd definitely be covering some ground out there.

As much as I want to see Brian given a chance, I've come to the realization that's it's not happening here. Not sure what he did, maybe he is a communist, or maybe it's just the fact that he's not Aaron Rowand, but Ozzie doesn't like the kid and it's unfortunate. We're going to lose a guy who could be a very solid every day player(he'll never be an allstar) because of pure stubbornness, and that's what bothers me most about this whole situation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 06:42 AM)
And besides that, didn't Ozzie want this team based on pitching and defense? Wouldn't it be nice to have one of the best defensive cf's in baseball out there everday? Could you imagine how nice it would be to have Mack in left and Brian in center? It'd make me(and I'm sure everyone else) about a billion times more comfortable with the outfield, we'd definitely be covering some ground out there.

As much as I want to see Brian given a chance, I've come to the realization that's it's not happening here. Not sure what he did, maybe he is a communist, or maybe it's just the fact that he's not Aaron Rowand, but Ozzie doesn't like the kid and it's unfortunate. We're going to lose a guy who could be a very solid every day player(he'll never be an allstar) because of pure stubbornness, and that's what bothers me most about this whole situation.

Sadly, why does it seem like that to me as well? We clear the way for BA, then give him all of 400 ABs to prove himself...then push him to the end of the bench.

Lest we not forget that our CFer last year had the 3rd highest RF of all CFers in the game, and the 2nd best Fielding %age of all CFers.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
You know, if they had gone out and found an actual replacement for Brian Anderson there would be no problem here. The only problem is they went out and signed the same exact player only 8 years older.

Darin Erstad is not nearly the defensive player Brian Anderson is. The fact that Erstad hit in the 7th last night with the runner on second is all you need to know. He is considered for some reason to be the savior. I am not sure who could lead-off right now but why not put Mack there. Couldn't possibly do any worse.

With Mack in left and Anderson in center they now have a legitimate defensive team. Sure they may only hit .215............oh wait.

Put anderson 8th and leave him there.

If Erstad can not hit Durbin tonight he should be released. He needs to hit Gaudin, Westbrook, Byrd, Carmona, and the last three guys from Texas. They are all undominating that should be pounded. Ozuna and Anderson should play against lefties and Mack and Erstad should pound righties.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Leave Erstad alone. He's trying to get into a groove.

I will say that at least Erstad can advance runners and have productive outs. He serves our offense better that way than Anderson, and allows Gooch to move down in the order.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 08:33 AM)
Leave Erstad alone. He's trying to get into a groove.

He's speaking about Anderson, although it should be about Erstad.

Anderson hasn't received any AB's to not look lost. Erstad on the other hand...has the second most AB's on the team and if you go back to spring training where he led all of baseball in AB's..he should be even more comfortable.

Edited by Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
He's speaking about Anderson, although it should be about Erstad.

Anderson hasn't received any AB's to not look lost. Erstad on the other hand...has the second mosty AB's on the team.

I was being a smart ass.

All the things that Ozzie likes about Erstad are the same things that Mack brings to the table. He hustles, tries to break up double plays, etc. Why not just have him play instead of Darin? He can actually get on base from time to time. Just don't play him in CF.

Edited by BigSqwert