Erstad/Anderson MEGAThread

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:42 AM)
There is no way we pay fro either Jones or Ichiro, no point in discussing.

Hunter's the only FA option, and that's about a 10-15% chance of happening, and it definitely won't happen if Hunter has a 30 HR, 90-100 RBI season.

We can get Baldelli if we want to give up some pitching depth, but it will cost Gio, Danks, Russell....one of our frontline starting prospects, plus a reliever or another prospect.

Willits from the Angels wouldn't be as expensive.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:40 AM)
Is it possible he just wanted to upgrade DH and pitching and centerfield just happened to be the assets available? If he could keep Young and move anderson for vasquez... I'm pretty sure he would have done that. How do you know KW wasn't panning to have a stop gap for 2 years untill Ichiro and Jones hit the market?

I don't think anyone could foresee that El Duque would still be a legit starting MLB pitcher 18 months after the World Series.

Obviously, the best thing would have been to hold onto Chris Young, trade McCarthy for prospects and let El Duque pitch in 2006, but those in favor of that in April of 2006....NOT MANY.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
Yes, which is a lot better than guaranteeing $18 million to an older player IMO.

Haha, some of these arguments are histerical.

"Guys -- Kenny could've done something WORSE, so don't worry!"

And he has to earn his 600 at-bats, and to do so, he would have to be healthy nearly the entire season. If he's healthy, he's proven that he can be a significant contributor to a playoff-caliber baseball team.

He was healthy in 2005 and had a .325 OBP. So pretty much, you're wrong.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
Haha, some of these arguments are histerical.

"Guys -- Kenny could've done something WORSE, so don't worry!"

He was healthy in 2005 and had a .325 OBP. So pretty much, you're wrong.

If you look at current White Sox OBP and OPS leaders, you will find the name Scott Podsednik. I don't think anyone would have predicted that either.

Nobody knows what budgetary constraints KW is working under, exactly, so it's easy to say we SHOULD have done A, B an C. It's easy to say, let's go get Andruw Jones or Ichiro, etc. Heck, I would rather we spent that $2-3 million that we spend on our bench players for the hiring of the Twins' Director of Scouting and use Angel Gonzalez instead of Alex Cintron.

It would be great to have Jose Reyes, but we don't have him. At least KW is taking the most prudent approach here, and he always has the ability to wait for the trade market to open up in June and July if he so chooses.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:21 PM)
yea good point

hey arizona, hows that chris young thing working out for you so far?

thanks for javy

Not so well for my roto team, I have Alex Gordon and Young, and I activated Young after he already had 8 RBI's, so he's been pretty much useless. At least I didn't overbid for Dice K or Felix Hernandez.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Trying to be completely honest... Here's what this armchair GM's roster would look like if he took over after after '04.

SP

Buehrle

Garland

Contreras

McCarthy

Whatever prospect that I got from the Carlos Lee salary dump

DH -- Thome or Delgado

C -- Pierzynski -- Fell into the Sox lap when we didn't have any other option.

1B -- Kong

2B -- Polanco or Orlando Hudson

SS -- Uribe

3B -- Crede (who would have been signed long term prior to the '06 season)

RF -- Dye

CF -- Young/Anderson (prior to the Vazquez trade, I thought we should keep Anderson for a year, trade him to make room for Young. The poor season would have hurt his value. I still think there were 5 teams that would have loved to have him last off-season, but I don't know if I would have given him up for what they were offering)

LF -- Milledge (Garcia trade last deadline)

Bench

Gload

Mack

Cintron

Ozuna

Hall

The bullpen is where I'd be completely different. I can't even tell you who I'd have down there aside from Jenks. I know I wouldn't have made the Thornton or MacDougal trades. The bullpen probably would be a liability if I was GM.

I'm 90% sure we wouldn't have won a world series. We probably wouldn't have won almost 190 games the last two year, but we might have won more. Who knows.

PUKING MY BRAINS OUT after reading this post. That roster sucks.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 12:19 AM)
Anderson has turned into the White Sox's version of the Bears backup QB.

I can understand the argument for not batting Erstad leadoff. I can understand the argument that you want to keep the guy healthy and give him some days off. However, I still can't see the argument for replacing Erstad with Anderson. No one has ever made a good argument for that on this board, but yet people still want to see Anderson replace Erstad.

Anderson is better defensively, and given a full season, would put up better offensive numbers this year than Erstad will this year. Erstad will not put up a .700 OPS. Anderson might. He'd certainly do better than Erstad.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
Yes, which is a lot better than guaranteeing $18 million to an older player IMO.

And he has to earn his 600 at-bats, and to do so, he would have to be healthy nearly the entire season. If he's healthy, he's proven that he can be a significant contributor to a playoff-caliber baseball team.

...or Ozzie has proven that he's an asshat.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anderson is better defensively, and given a full season, would put up better offensive numbers this year than Erstad will this year. Erstad will not put up a .700 OPS. Anderson might. He'd certainly do better than Erstad.

Just watching Anderson play CF last night made me wish Erstad was out there. Why Won't Erstad put up a .700 OPS? When he has healthy full seasons has always posted that or came very very close to doing so. Anderson has never done that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 09:18 AM)
I missed the error...what happened?

There was a ball hit to RCF that was a gapper and he booted it around and made a mess out of it up against the wall.

This just so happened to come at a time when our bullpen was falling apart, Ozuna was running around on roller blades at the Boston Garden and we needed someone to man up pitching-wise or defensively.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)

...or Ozzie has proven that he's an asshat.

I used to be criticized for doing the same thing as you are here................

Do you want to back that statement up? How do you know? I can buy the defensive part, but the rest about the numbers?