Erstad/Anderson MEGAThread

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
If a guy has ZERO power, ZERO discipline, and ZERO line drive ability then you have to reexamine why he's playing. His ability to "put pressure on the defense" with groundouts to the right side is not an adequate reason. Anderson is not perfect, but he could provide the things Erstad doesn't excel at (if he develops like he has in the minors).

Apparently you haven't watched any of the last six games.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Cool. He found a hole. Still sucks at baseball.

The ball in KC of Meche was a line drive up the middle, hit as hard as any ball this season.

He also ripped a double down the right field line on Tuesday night and then his double last night, which apparently was lightly hit as well.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
Cool. He found a hole. Still sucks at baseball.

yea i just dont get this blind love for anderson and hatred for erstad. if you have actually watched any games recently it is night and day between the two as to who looks more comfortable at the plate. its really not close and for people to continue to say that BA would put up decent numbers if he played everyday is hard to understand since he has shown no signs of doing so at the major league level. i'm looking at this from an unbias perspective because i want someone in there that is going to give the sox a better chance to win and i just don't think anderson has much to offer offensively at this point in his career.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 08:49 AM)
Anderson's not a slap hitter, and other cfs with moderate power have similar strikeout rates. Mike Cameron strikes out 1 in 4 abs, Torii Hunter about 1 in 5. It's not by itself very important.

if anderson starts putting up 25-30 homers and driving in 80-100 RBI a year (ie. torii hunter) then i could care less about the K's but if hes going to be in the 15-20 hr and 50-70 RBI range (projected over the course of a full season) then he better be making better contact and getting that average up close to .270 at the very least

at this point in his career, his numbers are as follows:

416 AB 10 HR 36 RBI .216 batting average

im sorry but thats just not getting the job done, i dont care if hes only 25, thats just terrible

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

Making Anderson the DH last night was laughable. After all, isn't a DH supposed to be able to hit?

Too bad Dye and Thome were hurting. Anderson was the last person I wanted up with bags juiced and 2 outs in the 9th during somewhat of a rally.

Gimme Erstad everyday at this point.

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
if anderson starts putting up 25-30 homers and driving in 80-100 RBI a year (ie. torii hunter) then i could care less about the K's but if hes going to be in the 15-20 hr and 50-70 RBI range (projected over the course of a full season) then he better be making better contact and getting that average up close to .270 at the very least

at this point in his career, his numbers are as follows:

416 AB 10 HR 36 RBI .216 batting average

im sorry but thats just not getting the job done, i dont care if hes only 25, thats just terrible

So you're saying Anderson hasn't hit well so far in the majors? The devil you say!

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
really? realllllllllllllllllly? He hasn't had a .700 OPS after 1 season? realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly?

That's right he really really really really hasn't.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was the whole damn offense tonight, not just BA.

No it wasn't. BA is the only one that faced Todd Jones. Todd Jones gave him a straight as an arrow 85 MPH fastball cookie teed up for him and BA completely missed. The bases were loaded with a 3-1 count so he knew a fastball was coming. Completely ridiculous. No one else on the team did this. Only BA.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)

No it wasn't. BA is the only one that faced Todd Jones. Todd Jones gave him a straight as an arrow 85 MPH fastball cookie teed up for him and BA completely missed. The bases were loaded with a 3-1 count so he knew a fastball was coming. Completely ridiculous. No one else on the team did this. Only BA.

Give me a break. The entire team was getting hanging meatballs all night and managed to get shut out for 8 innings by a s***ty pitcher. Period.

BA was at the plate during the "rally" the sox had (which involved zero hits). Yes, he screwed up there. No excuses for him. But the entire offensive unit failed miserably last night all game long.

QUOTE(Craig Grebeck @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anderson could develop that kind of power with adequate playing time.

HA HA HA HA!!! Have you seen him play the last year?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give me a break. The entire team was getting hanging meatballs all night and managed to get shut out for 8 innings by a s***ty pitcher. Period.

BA was at the plate during the "rally" the sox had (which involved zero hits). Yes, he screwed up there. No excuses for him. But the entire offensive unit failed miserably last night all game long.

Not with the bases loaded and a 3-1 count they weren't. HE KNEW WHAT WAS COMING! It was put on a tee for him. There was no guessing involved and it was placed on a tee. No other player on the White Sox did this. Not one. Only BA.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
Not with the bases loaded and a 3-1 count they weren't. HE KNEW WHAT WAS COMING! It was put on a tee for him. There was no guessing involved and it was placed on a tee. No other player on the White Sox did this. Not one. Only BA.

Fine, it's all on BA. You're right, those other batters get excuses for whiffing on pitches that could easily have been hit (probably about 1 per at bat). It's entirely Anderson's fault for screwing up (and he did, big time). Durbin was throwing terrible pitches all night, but hey, they didn't know the pitch was going to be terrible, so its ok. Adjusting and taking a hanging slider is hard, man!

There is no reason that the Sox should have been blanked through the 8th, and that's only 1/9 Anderson's fault.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)

Neither Konerko or Hunter did either. Jim Thome had an OPS right around .700.

The fact of the matter is that Anderson's had right around 400 PA's in the majors, and there's no telling how good or bad he's going to be over the course of his career. Using his career OPS is a horrendous argument though, unless it's justification for why he should be in the minors instead of getting 1 start a week at the MLB level.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)

I'm sure 12 other White Sox hitters would have put that ball in the stands.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)

Or they would have tried and gotten "just underneath that one."

I really don't have that confidence that anyone in the lineup last night would have hit that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither Konerko or Hunter did either. Jim Thome had an OPS right around .700.

The fact of the matter is that Anderson's had right around 400 PA's in the majors, and there's no telling how good or bad he's going to be over the course of his career. Using his career OPS is a horrendous argument though, unless it's justification for why he should be in the minors instead of getting 1 start a week at the MLB level.

If you can't watch players such as Anderson, Konerko, and Hunter, and you can't tell the difference between them then I really don't think you should be doing any type of evaluating. Numbers are good, but they are not the end all be all. Watch them play. Anderson is no where near Konerko or Hunter or Thome. The comparisons are absolutely ridiculous.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep28.article

Tons of great quotes for Ozzie haters to sink their teeth into...since many feel that BA won the job in ST.

Brian had a better spring than Darin so why does he deserve the shaft?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 01:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's nice to see him get up off of his knees and stop sucking balls.

Yeah, cause Anderson still is. We need someone to play CF.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brian had a better spring than Darin so why does he deserve the shaft?

Because he sucks major ass now. Who cares about spring training. He looks like a complete piece of s*** at the plate and in the field right now.