Erstad/Anderson MEGAThread

WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
Because he sucks major ass now. Who cares about spring training. He looks like a complete piece of s*** at the plate and in the field right now.

The logic of your argument makes zero sense. He didn't play to start the season because he is bad now? What?

Who cares about spring training? How else are you supposed to have a competition for the starting spot, as Ozzie said their was?

You don't make any sense at all.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who cares about spring training. He looks like a complete piece of s*** at the plate and in the field right now.

FTFA:

While Guillen is sympathetic to Anderson, he also believes Anderson could have made his case to play with a better spring showing.

Our own manager, AKA the guy in charge of making all the freakin' moves, cares about spring training.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 11:04 AM)
Apparently you haven't watched any of the last six games.

The ball in KC of Meche was a line drive up the middle, hit as hard as any ball this season.

He also ripped a double down the right field line on Tuesday night and then his double last night, which apparently was lightly hit as well.

The problem is that he's still slugging a paltry .321 and hasn't topped .400 in any of the last six seasons. He can hit around 30 doubles and a few home runs but when you don't hit for average or take walks that's just not good enough.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
The problem is that he's still slugging a paltry .321 and hasn't topped .400 in any of the last six seasons. He can hit around 30 doubles and a few home runs but when you don't hit for average or take walks that's just not good enough.

How is Rowand any different from Erstad, except Erstad is more fundamentally sound and a better all-around player?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep28.article

Tons of great quotes for Ozzie haters to sink their teeth into...since many feel that BA won the job in ST.

It scares me that Ozzie said Terrero is playing well in AAA. Outside of the first few games, he has to be hitting about .100 with an OBP of less than that possibly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
It scares me that Ozzie said Terrero is playing well in AAA. Outside of the first few games, he has to be hitting about .100 with an OBP of less than that possibly.

He's walked a grand total of 1 time thus far and I'm pretty sure that came just the other day. He's also 27 years old.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 28, 2007 -> 11:16 PM)
More power, less injury prone, and he's having a much better 2007 season.

I think the odds of Rowand getting hurt, playing the style he does in the OF, are arguably greater than Erstad getting hurt this year...

Although there's a part of me who would like to bring back Thomas, Rowand, Everett and other Sox "leaders," see the team struggle just as mightily for a stretch, if only it would help many to realize we didn't win in 2005 or lose in 2006 due to Rowand's presence.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
Two more hits for Erstad. He's up to .250.

not only did he have two hits but he also had a bunt single taken away on a terrific play by weaver and hit the ball hard to center on his other out. he is definitely swinging the bat better than anyone else on the team over the past two weeks.

its a shame the hatred that some have for erstad has overshadowed his stellar play as of late. and in the leadoff spot he is now hitting over .300

I guess this thread is no longer needed since Anderson is no longer. Its amazing to me that people were so quick to write off a player who once had 240 hits in a season , has won 2 gold gloves at 2 positions , was coming off a season with an injury and few at bats , and a guy whose ex teammates praised constantly for his leadership and approach to the game.

Not only is Estad fielding well he's the highest hitting guy on the team of those not injured. 1st in hits and stolen bases. 2nd in runs scored and doubles. 3rd in total bases.

Lesson learned kiddies. Don't be too quick to judge. Patience is a virtue. Open mouth insert foot , hope it taste good along with your crow. It's a long season but as of now Erstad is the least of this team's worries.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
I guess this thread is no longer needed since Anderson is no longer. Its amazing to me that people were so quick to write off a player who once had 240 hits in a season , has won 2 gold gloves at 2 positions , was coming off a season with an injury and few at bats , and a guy whose ex teammates praised constantly for his leadership and approach to the game.

Albert Belle was still playing when Erstad had 240 hits. Seeing as how the second most hits he's ever had in a season is 177, I think it's safe to assume that 240 was a career year and he'll never come close to that again.

And, part of the reason people are so critical of Erstad is because he IS coming off seasons of multiple injuries. How can you use that to defend him? I still figure he's bound to get injured, but if he can be healthy and produce, I'll be fine. I still won't like him, but I'll be fine.

Not only is Estad fielding well he's the highest hitting guy on the team of those not injured. 1st in hits and stolen bases. 2nd in runs scored and doubles. 3rd in total bases.

Sweet, a .260 average. Let's send his ass to the All-Star game. Erstad having the highest average on this team is the exact same thing as being the tallest midget. He has sucked, as have like 7 others in the normal lineup.

Lesson learned kiddies. Don't be too quick to judge. Patience is a virtue. Open mouth insert foot , hope it taste good along with your crow. It's a long season but as of now Erstad is the least of this team's worries.

LOL, have you ever listened to yourself before? I mean, it's horrible for people to say the guy sucks because he's hitting .260 on April 29th, but it's perfectly acceptable to say the guy is great because he's hitting .260 on April 29th?

I don't think there are any foots going in any mouths yet.

Wite, I was going to go through with it, but it was going to fall on deaf ears.

Since when has the number of hits and stolen bases been the best indicator of who is the best offensive player on the team is? Erstad hasn't stolen a base in a week, and this team isn't stealing bases anyways.

Now how is it 3 weeks is too early to evaluate a player yet apparently 1 month is an acceptable amount of time (over a 6 month season) is enough to tell people to eat crow? I don't recall anyone saying Brain was never going to be sent down during the season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
Wite, I was going to go through with it, but it was going to fall on deaf ears.

Since when has the number of hits and stolen bases been the best indicator of who is the best offensive player on the team is? Erstad hasn't stolen a base in a week, and this team isn't stealing bases anyways.

Now how is it 3 weeks is too early to evaluate a player yet apparently 1 month is an acceptable amount of time (over a 6 month season) is enough to tell people to eat crow? I don't recall anyone saying Brain was never going to be sent down during the season.

Duh, because the more hits and stolen bases you get, the bigger grinder you are, and if you're a grinder, you're damn good. Don't consider extra base hits or walks, because those aren't very grindy. :bang

I'm just surprised that Dye comparisons aren't coming up more, seeing as how the two are such similar ballplayers.

I think everybody arguing about this is wasting time. However, it atleast provides more entertainment than talking about how horrible the team has been offensively thus far. So I keep doing it basically for that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:00 PM)
Duh, because the more hits and stolen bases you get, the bigger grinder you are, and if you're a grinder, you're damn good. Don't consider extra base hits or walks, because those aren't very grindy. :bang

I'm just surprised that Dye comparisons aren't coming up more, seeing as how the two are such similar ballplayers.

I think everybody arguing about this is wasting time. However, it atleast provides more entertainment than talking about how horrible the team has been offensively thus far. So I keep doing it basically for that.

just curious, what does erstad have to do this year for you to admit that this white sox team is a better team this year with him in there as opposed to anderson? seriously, id like to know because it seems like you are always knocking darin even after he has shown signs of being a real contributor to this team, and he already has contributed more offensively to the team this year in a month then anderson did all of last year

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:06 PM)
just curious, what does erstad have to do this year for you to admit that this white sox team is a better team this year with him in there as opposed to anderson? seriously, id like to know because it seems like you are always knocking darin even after he has shown signs of being a real contributor to this team, and he already has contributed more offensively to the team this year in a month then anderson did all of last year

The team is better with Erstad this year. My problem is that he's on the wrong side of 30, he's had injuries in the past, and he doesn't give the White Sox any sense of stability in CF for the future. Atleast with Anderson, if you get him 1000 career ABs in the majors - which is a full season's worth of playing time this year - you can see if he is the future or not. With Erstad you already know he is not the future in CF.

Beyond that, if the Sox are going to bring in an older CFer like that and have them start, I'd atleast like them to be better than a .725 OPS player at his best. Had the Sox brought in even Rowand, I would have been satisfied because he is going to put up a .700-.725 OPS at his worst with the potential to put up an OPS in the .800-.850 range. I didn't want it done at the time, but that's because I thought Anderson was going to get a fair shake in CF. Now that I know he never had a chance, I would have preferred Rowand, and that I know for sure.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
The team is better with Erstad this year. My problem is that he's on the wrong side of 30, he's had injuries in the past, and he doesn't give the White Sox any sense of stability in CF for the future. Atleast with Anderson, if you get him 1000 career ABs in the majors - which is a full season's worth of playing time this year - you can see if he is the future or not. With Erstad you already know he is not the future in CF.

Beyond that, if the Sox are going to bring in an older CFer like that and have them start, I'd atleast like them to be better than a .725 OPS player at his best. Had the Sox brought in even Rowand, I would have been satisfied because he is going to put up a .700-.725 OPS at his worst with the potential to put up an OPS in the .800-.850 range. I didn't want it done at the time, but that's because I thought Anderson was going to get a fair shake in CF. Now that I know he never had a chance, I would have preferred Rowand, and that I know for sure.

well heres the thing dude rowand isnt going to be playing for the 2007 chicago white sox and darin erstad is so i guess you are just going to have to deal with it. instead of complaining about darin erstad maybe you should start complaining about AJ hitting .213 konerko hitting under .200 or the fact that erstad has as many homeruns right now as joe crede. erstad is the least of the sox concerns at this point and maybe ozzie actually does know the difference between a major league hitter (ie. erstad) and one that isnt quite ready yet to be an everyday starter (ie. anderson)

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)
and maybe the white sox organization has already determined that anderson is not the future CF for the white sox

right or wrong maybe 400 ABs was all they needed to make that decision

And if they have made that decision, they're nearly guaranteeing that the team won't make the playoffs in the next couple of years.

I hate to break it to you people, but the White Sox need Brian Anderson. This team does not have the money to not only hold onto the people it has now, but improve along with the other teams in the division. We do not have the money to hold on to JD, Iguchi, and Buehrle, and in addition find a real CF next year.

We absolutely need these kids. We need Brian Anderson to find his swing. He doesn't have to be dominant, but he needs to be a starting major league baseball player. Because we just don't have the money to find that many replacements.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
We absolutely need these kids. We need Brian Anderson to find his swing. He doesn't have to be dominant, but he needs to be a starting major league baseball player. Because we just don't have the money to find that many replacements.

That may be true, but I think Anderson is done on the Sox. If you read Merkin's column, Anderson essentially says it's time for him to go to new organization and Walker says that Anderson doesn't want to succeed enough. Needing him won't make Brian Anderson a major league hitter. I would have liked Anderson to succeed in Chicago, but it didn't happen. I hope he gets another shot elsewhere.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
well heres the thing dude rowand isnt going to be playing for the 2007 chicago white sox and darin erstad is so i guess you are just going to have to deal with it. instead of complaining about darin erstad maybe you should start complaining about AJ hitting .213 konerko hitting under .200 or the fact that erstad has as many homeruns right now as joe crede. erstad is the least of the sox concerns at this point and maybe ozzie actually does know the difference between a major league hitter (ie. erstad) and one that isnt quite ready yet to be an everyday starter (ie. anderson)

I'll deal with it because I have to. It's not going to stop me from b****ing up a storm.

I haven't complained about Pierzynski, Konerko, and Crede because they've produced very well within the past 3 years. Erstad's put up an OPS around .700 over his past 1400 PAs; how is that good?

QUOTE(JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
and maybe the white sox organization has already determined that anderson is not the future CF for the white sox

right or wrong maybe 400 ABs was all they needed to make that decision

If they could determine that he is or isn't a major league hitter based off of 400 ABs, then I'll s*** bricks of gold that smell like roses. There's quite obviously a rift between Brian Anderson and Ozzie Guillen, and it's likely that it will never be healed. Ozzie is not about to leave Chicago, so I see no way Anderson will start.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
I'll deal with it because I have to. It's not going to stop me from b****ing up a storm.

I haven't complained about Pierzynski, Konerko, and Crede because they've produced very well within the past 3 years. Erstad's put up an OPS around .700 over his past 1400 PAs; how is that good?

If they could determine that he is or isn't a major league hitter based off of 400 ABs, then I'll s*** bricks of gold that smell like roses. There's quite obviously a rift between Brian Anderson and Ozzie Guillen, and it's likely that it will never be healed. Ozzie is about to leave Chicago, so I see no way Anderson will start.

How is Guillen about to leave Chicago? He will be here AT LEAST through the 2008 season, if not longer. Manuel had a 3 year window after the 2000 season, Ozzie will have a 4-5 year window after winning the World Series and the fact that JR is so loyal to former Sox players and employees.

Who do you want to replace him that's going to lead this over the hill line-up into the World Series?

If you want to criticize someone, it should be Walker...how many White Sox hitters have become better under his tutelage?

Crede has produced for 3 years? Make it one and one-half and we'll have a deal.

Edited by caulfield12