No Witty Title

AddisonStSox

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not arguing salaries here, just ability and performance at third base.

It's also unfair to compare salaries to players who hit free agency to arbitration eligible players. How much is Crede going to get when he becomes a FA?

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 07:19 AM)
Seattle made some of the worst FA signings in memory - and Beltre's one of them.

He is assuredly not better than Crede - and he costs, what 13 mill a year?

Do you have any evidence to back this up?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:01 AM)
And lol@A-rod. He can't spell postseason. What are his numbers again the last few years in the playoffs. That's not to say Crede is as good as A-rod.

Is there a reason why people have selective memory when it comes to Alex Rodriguez?

'97 ALDS: 16 AB, 1 HR, .876 OPS

'00 ALDS: Struggled Vs the Sox pitching like everyone else on Seattle

'00 ALCS: 22 AB, 2 HR, 1.253 OPS

'04 ALDS: 19 AB, 1 HR, 1.213 OPS

'04 ALCS: 31 AB, 2 HR, .894 OPS (WITH THE YANKEES)

Up until the '05 season A-Rod had been a beast in postseason but now that he's playing for the Yankees, his struggles are amplified. And is there a reason why you'd be comparing Joe Crede's first go round in the postseason to A-Rod's 4th or 5th? How do you know Crede won't s*** the bed in the ALDS when he's 34? I really don't want to compare the 2 since it makes absolutely no sense to do so, I just hate the fact that everyone forgets what Alex did the first 3 years he got to play in October.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
Do you have any evidence to back this up?

Sure - superior OPS the last 2 years. Not much different, but Crede's is better - at 1/3 of the price. And salary does matter when you have only $X to spend. And Crede's much better defensively - in my opinion.

Where's your evidence that stone-feet Blaylock is in Crede's defensive stratosphere?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Sure - superior OPS the last 2 years. Not much different, but Crede's is better - at 1/3 of the price. And salary does matter when you have only $X to spend. And Crede's much better defensively - in my opinion.

Where's your evidence that stone-feet Blaylock is in Crede's defensive stratosphere?

1.) You've never seen Beltre play, as much is apparent.

2.) Is it really that hard to follow the thread, we are not taking contracts into consideration here, it would make this entire discussion moot. Joe is still arbitration eligible while Beltre has already hit free agency, it makes no sense to compare contracts when Crede has yet to even test the market. This is only about who the better player is, taking into account performance and skill, there is no financial aspect to this discussion.

3.) Look up some scouting reports on Blalock, he's outstanding defensively. I also recommend you watch to Rangers games, he knows what he's doing out there. If I were a new baseball fan watching Crede play for the first time in 2007 I'd figure he's pretty average defensively because that's how he has performed.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:01 AM)
Pods? You're giving Pods love? And pitchers can only dominate once every 4-5 days. Crede was our best all around player in the postseason. Do I have to even list the number of times he's come through in the clutch? I don't care who's argubly better than him. He's been an asset to the Sox. And lol@A-rod. He can't spell postseason. What are his numbers again the last few years in the playoffs. That's not to say Crede is as good as A-rod. He's not. But I stand by my belief that from September '05 through September '06; Crede was the best third baseman in the game.

All I was implying that if those guys don't do their job, Crede doesn't have a chance to be amazing. He was obviously dominant, but so was the entire pitching staff. And everyone else on the team had their clutch moments as well.

And sweet, ARod has sucked; so has half of everyone else on the Yankees. Just look at the numbers, and you'll see why ARod gets so much undeserved flack. ARod has been, by far, a superior 3Bman than Crede, defense included or not; ARod's not better defensively, he's just that much better offensively.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:29 AM)
Beltre isn't worth the $12 mill he's getting for the next 3 yrs. Is Crede worth that much? No. Is Joe worth the $4.95 mill he's getting, and the likely $6 mill he'll get in ARB for 2008? Probably. Yet the sox are likely to go with the Josh Fields experiment in 2008, and not see much of a drop off

Seattle's paying Beltre to be a #3, 4 hitter but he's producing like a #6, 7 hitter. That isn't likely to change much, and is probably why they have been trying to unload his contract.

No, when Crede signs his deal and he gets 5 years for $50-60 million and then becomes a mediocre players, Beltre will be a better "value" or whatever the hell you want to call it over Crede.