Danks!!!!!!!!!

southsideirish71

3 starts into this kids career and he looks impressive. He attacks the zone, throws strikes and has a good repertoire. The best thing is a short memory of bad things. Something happens and this kid throws strikes. How many talented pitchers come up, and get overwhelmed with the whole thing and never let their talent show. This is what sets him apart. This kid should watch Buerhle and hopefully learn that cutter this year. If he adds that to this plus change and plus curve and this could be a fun guy to watch. The last time we had a guy like this come up, was Mark.

:wub: :headbang :headbang :snr

Like what I've seen so far, for sure!

Reserving judgement till he sees a team twice, though. If he learns the Buehrle Cutter though, like you were saying, he'll be killer! Cutter in on the hands of righties is devastating.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
I think it's still a little early to say who got the better end of the deal.

All I'm saying is so far so good.

Bmac didn't look so hot today either.

Don't forget we also got Masset in the deal, who has been good out of the bullpen. McCarthy has been getting rocked.

As for Danks, he has great composure for a pitcher with only 3 MLB starts and 16 IP. I see a little Buehrle in him.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
Don't forget we also got Masset in the deal, who has been good out of the bullpen. McCarthy has been getting rocked.

As for Danks, he has great composure for a pitcher with only 3 MLB starts and 16 IP. I see a little Buehrle in him.

In terms of pure stuff, I haven't been awfully-impressed with Danks. McCarthy's stuff is better, IMO.

That said, Danks has been producing. And while it's still way too early to call, he alone may have justified the trade.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
McCarthy has mediocre stuff for a righty.

Danks has very good stuff for a lefty.

That assessment has more to do with statistics than an actual comparison of their stuff. I'd also say that B-Mac's stuff is a little better than "mediocre." But I agree that Danks being a lefty is an inherent plus. LHP starters don't exactly grow on trees.

I regularly saw B-Mac hit 93 on the gun last year. I have yet to see Danks top 91 in the two starts of his that I've been able to watch. B-Mac also has a Mussina-like sweeping breaking ball (that he, unforutnately, has trouble locating). Danks doesn't have that kind of movement.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
McCarthy has mediocre stuff for a righty.

Danks has very good stuff for a lefty.

I don't know that you can say McCarthy has mediocre stuff. A 91-94 fastball - albeit straight as hell - along with a good curve and change. When located, he's a great pitcher, but that's the entire problem is that he gets his pitches up a lot. If he can add a cutter or a 2-seamer, he'll be in the league for a while as a solid starter.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
I maintain that McCarthy's stuff is mediocre, his control is iffy, and his mechanics will injure him and end his career prematurely if "being bad for Texas" doesn't.

If there was any veteran pitcher that I could compare McCarthy to, it would be Mike Mussina... especially with regard to their mechanics. Mussina and B-Mac have VERY similar deliveries (although B-Mac doesn't pause for as long when he's pitching from the stretch). Given Mussina's very long and (relatively) injury-free career, I don't see how McCarthy's mechanics are going to tank him.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 20, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
I think it's still a little early to say who got the better end of the deal.

All I'm saying is so far so good.

Bmac didn't look so hot today either.

Masset has some really good movement on his heater and a nice looking breaking pitch. He also throws as easy a 94 MPH as I've seen (which makes me think right now that he's taking a couple MPH off his heater, which was advertised as being more mid to upper 90's, in order to get better command/movement). But that 2 seamer he was throwing last night was nasty.

Danks has impressive mound presence for a youngster but still looks like a 21 year old when it comes to his command (yes its decent, but its not where it needs to be. The bright side is even without him throwing his curve for strikes he's still rarely getting anyone to square up on him, aside from a few long balls).

I'm real excited to have him on the southside (and Massett is no slacker either).

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
In terms of pure stuff, I haven't been awfully-impressed with Danks. McCarthy's stuff is better, IMO.

That said, Danks has been producing. And while it's still way too early to call, he alone may have justified the trade.

Danks changeup is looking like its as good as Bmac's (and Mac has a good changeup) while Danks has thrown a plus plus curve most of his career and has much better life and similar velocity (definitely better life).

The one thing Brandon has is superior control but Danks has better pure stuff because with the movement he gets his heater mixed with that change and curve (once he starts throwing strikes) its hard not to see why Ken Williams made this move (and thats not even considering Massett or Rasner).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
The one thing Brandon has is superior control but Danks has better pure stuff because with the movement he gets his heater mixed with that change and curve (once he starts throwing strikes) its hard not to see why Ken Williams made this move (and thats not even considering Massett or Rasner).

You've probably seen more of Danks than I have (a whole two games), so I guess I'll take your word for it. McCarthy had no movement at all on his heater. I would hope that Danks is still building arm strength, though, because that 91 mph heater isn't going to blow away anybody.

I also get the feeling that part of the deal involved KW wanting another starting LHP, knowing that Buehrle is gone next year. :crying

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
Danks looked good, but I would have liked to have seen the killer instinct and pitch over the Uribe/Mack misplay. Hopefully that doesn't mean he has the old Garland thing of falling to pieces when something bad used to happen behind him.

It's not like he gave up a homer or a line shot even. It was a grounder between Crede and Uribe. I thought he handled it well and just caught a bad break.

Tough crowd :)

Edited by Controlled Chaos