Scout.com 1st Round Projection

bigruss

25. Chicago White Sox - Matt LaPorta, 1B, R-R, 6’2, 215, Florida

No shortstop is worthy of a pick here, so the White Sox turn to the best power prospect in the draft.

So what do you guys know about him? Seems to me a good decesion to go after a Konerko-Thome replacement now, so as to develop him and be ready when their contracts are up.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
So what do you guys know about him? Seems to me a good decesion to go after a Konerko-Thome replacement now, so as to develop him and be ready when their contracts are up.

I know that he is absolutely destroying college baseball this year and if he had repeated his sophomore year last year he would have been a top 5 pick (well not counting in the Boras factor). Also, assuming he is still being represented by Boras the Sox probably won't pick him.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)

Huge power. I recall seeing him play one time and he looked good. He also knows how to get on base.

http://www.gatorzone.com/baseball/stats.php

Can't miss him.

I wouldn't mind it at all. The only real big power threat for the future we have besides Fields is Carter. And he is represented by Boras, but so is Danks. But then again, Danks was already signed. We'll see. When is the draft? Early June, right?

Just a quick question, are there any good draft websites for baseball like there are for football and basketball?

LaPorta might have been a top 5 pick two years ago if he was eligible. He slipped to the 5th(?) round last year because of a poor season (Dan mentions the Boras factor, but I think his fall was more over concerns about his contact rate), but he still might have the best power potential in the draft.

If I recall from memory, Laporta had below a .300 batting average that year when he was drafted lower than normal and Cheat is right that scouts questioned his contact potential. He might be a decent replacement for Konerko/Thome in the future, but I would still rather finally go after middle infield talent in the 1st.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
who else is there? Fields is the only real one in AAA, and you could maybe count Sweeney. Not really anyone at Birmingham. And same for Winstom. But Chris Carter does have some serious potential.

Dude, Sweeney has like 30 homer potential in his prime. He's good; he's not the premier prospect in the White Sox system. Of any White Sox prospect, he's the most likely for success, but that just means he'll be a good #2 hitter, maybe an adequate to good #3; that's not huge numbers, nor huge power numbers like Carter may be able to put up.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 21, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
LaPorta might have been a top 5 pick two years ago if he was eligible. He slipped to the 5th(?) round last year because of a poor season (Dan mentions the Boras factor, but I think his fall was more over concerns about his contact rate), but he still might have the best power potential in the draft.

14th round and 14th round

Cubs drafted him out of high school, and the Red Sox after his Junior year.

Didn't have a great year last year - .259/.410/.538/.948 - but he missed 27 games due to injury. This year, he's been great: .428/.579/.848/1.427. He's definitely 1st round worthy, and if the Sox can get him at 25, and they don't pick him up, I'm may be slightly upset, especially if the don't grab a pitcher with high upside.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 04:51 AM)
Dude, Sweeney has like 30 homer potential in his prime. He's good; he's not the premier prospect in the White Sox system. Of any White Sox prospect, he's the most likely for success, but that just means he'll be a good #2 hitter, maybe an adequate to good #3; that's not huge numbers, nor huge power numbers like Carter may be able to put up.

Well, I was talking in terms of something like 35-40 homer potential. Sweeney has 25-30, IMO.

Here's the entire list if any is interested.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=283&p=2&c=635519

Kapkoment was right about Aumont. Him and Tanner Robles have shot up since pre-season projections were last posted. It's a shame, as those two were pitchers I was hoping the White Sox would draft. :crying

I'm surprised Greg Peavey hasn't improved his stock. His low velocity (~88-90) and likelihood of attending Oregon State may have sent him down into the compensation round. If Jarrod Parker isn't available, I wouldn't mind taking a risk. Even though Boras is his agent. From what I've read, his velocity isn't overpowering but everything he features has movement and his slider is devastating.

Although I absolutely love the idea of taking LaPorta. I just fear he'll move up past us if he continues raking.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 06:29 PM)
Here's the entire list if any is interested.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=283&p=2&c=635519

Kapkoment was right about Aumont. Him and Tanner Robles have shot up since pre-season projections were last posted. It's a shame, as those two were pitchers I was hoping the White Sox would draft. :crying

I'm surprised Greg Peavey hasn't improved his stock. His low velocity (~88-90) and likelihood of attending Oregon State may have sent him down into the compensation round. If Jarrod Parker isn't available, I wouldn't mind taking a risk. Even though Boras is his agent. From what I've read, his velocity isn't overpowering but everything he features has movement and his slider is devastating.

Although I absolutely love the idea of taking LaPorta. I just fear he'll move up past us if he continues raking.

Wow. I can't believe the tragectory that Aumont is on. The first time I hear about him he was borderline 1st or 2nd round, now he might go #5... Wow.

QUOTE(He_Gawn @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)
We have faced Jarrod Parker and the kid is a freak! Slider is like one of you said, devastating. Rumor also has it he's hitting mid 90's this year and has hit as high as 98.

I hope he's around at #25. Without a 1st round sandwich pick we may have to draft someone due for a slightly lower position. Broadway and McCulloch are recent examples of this.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
I like LaPorta, but I would love to see Max Scherzer fall to us(if he goes back into the draft).

There is a 0% chance we draft him and it has nothing to do with Boras. His signability is actually good this year if he goes back into the draft. He signed with Forth Worth of an independent league like Hochevar did a year ago. If he proves he is healthy he could be the 2nd pitcher taken after Price. If he isn't healthy he won't be taken in the 1st round or anywhere near it.

Casey Weathers is a guy projected to go right near our pick in the draft. I'm not sure I'd like to spend the first pick on a closer, but this guy has the stuff the contribute late in major league games right now. Even though hes not the type of pitcher the sox have targeted in recent drafts, hes exactly the guy they targeted this offseason. Upper 90s heat, nasty slider. He was originally an OF, then was converted to a starter, and is now a reliever and learned how to harness his gas. I liken him to Aardsma with a better fastball

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 07:21 AM)
Casey Weathers is a guy projected to go right near our pick in the draft. I'm not sure I'd like to spend the first pick on a closer, but this guy has the stuff the contribute late in major league games right now. Even though hes not the type of pitcher the sox have targeted in recent drafts, hes exactly the guy they targeted this offseason. Upper 90s heat, nasty slider. He was originally an OF, then was converted to a starter, and is now a reliever and learned how to harness his gas. I liken him to Aardsma with a better fastball

No more relievers in the first 5 rounds please.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:22 AM)
No more relievers in the first 5 rounds please.

With the youth already in our bullpen right now, there's no good reason to draft a reliever for the next year or two in any of the early rounds. Much more pressing needs in position players.

Anyone have an idea where Kyle O'Campo is projected to fall in the amateur draft?

I watched his draft video available through Milb.com and was quite impressed. Kyle's velocity sat between 91-93, and he featured an impressive slider; albeit without much command.

He'd be an interesting 2nd record pick. With a 6'3, 180 pound stature there's always the chance of adding additional velocity.

Another prospect I really like is Michael Main. I doubt he falls to us and I doubt we would pick him anyways, but his fastball tops at 98-99 mph. He's also a great athlete; 4.4 40 speed, would prob be a 5th-10th round pick as an outfielder.

But then again, I hope he decides to go to college. FSU could use a pitcher like that.