THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: APRIL 22ND (The fight!)

StatManDu

THIS DATE IN WHITE SOX HISTORY: APRIL 22ND

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BRAWL-GAME

2000:

The White Sox pounded the Detroit Tigers 14-6 in a fight- and ejection-filled game before 16,410 at Comiskey Park. A huge brawl broke out in the seventh which lasted 13 minutes and resulted in six ejections. In the ninth, another brawl ensued which prompted two more ejections. The fights resulted in seven members of the White Sox roster drawing suspensions from the American League. Many pointed to this game as the galvanizing force behind the White Sox unexpected run to the American League Central Division championship. The fights overshadowed a great day by Chris Singleton, who went 5-for-5 with a double, a home run and three RBI.

For the rest of the day, see www.whitesoxalmanac.com

My dad and i were in the Left Field Blechers. I thought it was going to be a long day when Wendall McGee hit a homer for the tigers. I remeber Tanyon Sturtze threw the second beanball and the hit battsman did not charge (maybe Dean Palmer?) but it was someone from the dugout! I carry the ticket stubb with me all the time and have met three or four other people who also were at that game. It is in the top three games i have ever been to!

QUOTE(Heartattack19 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
My dad and i were in the Left Field Blechers. I thought it was going to be a long day when Wendall McGee hit a homer for the tigers. I remeber Tanyon Sturtze threw the second beanball and the hit battsman did not charge (maybe Dean Palmer?) but it was someone from the dugout! I carry the ticket stubb with me all the time and have met three or four other people who also were at that game. It is in the top three games i have ever been to!

Well, it was one of the better brawls you'd ever see.

New York, April 28, 2000 -- Major League Baseball handed out hefty suspensions to seven members of the Chicago White Sox and nine members of the Detroit Tigers after a two fierce bench-clearing brawls which occurred during an April 22nd game. The two brawls, were some of the nastiest seen in recent years. The melees resulted in 11 ejections. Twenty-five players were fined between $500 and $3,000.

The penalties were announced by Frank Robinson, baseball's vice president of on-field operations. The player who started it all, Tigers pitcher Jeff Weaver, was not among the suspended.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Robinson said the stiff penalties were designed to send "a message to on-field personnel that participation in these sorts of incidents will be handled in a swift and serious manner."

The White Sox's manager Jerry Manuel and his Detroit counterpart Phil Garner were suspended for eight games and fined $1,500. Tigers first-base coach Juan Samuel received the harshest penalty, a 15-game suspension. Many of the suspensions so teams would not be penalized all

at once. Sox left fielder Carlos Lee and reliever Bobby Howry reportedly have been ordered to sit out three games.

Also suspended for the Sox were right fielder Magglio Ordonez (five games) and pitchers Keith Foulke, Jim Parque and Tanyon Sturtze (three games each). Besides Garner and Samuel, the suspended Tigers were third baseman Dean Palmer (eight games and a $ 3,000 fine), catcher Robert Fick and outfielder Bobby Higginson (five games each), pitcher Doug Brocail (four games) and outfielders Juan Encarnacion, Luis Polonia and Karim Garcia (three games each).

Among those fined were Sox bench coach Joe Nossek and reliever Bill Simas.

Non-players have no appeal process because they are not represented by a union. The players could appeal through their union, the Major League Baseball Players' Association.

Also, ESPN'2 Page 2 lists it sixth among baseball brawls:

6. White Sox vs. Tigers (April 22, 2000)

Sixteen players, coaches and managers suspended. Nine others fined. It was, MLB said, "the biggest mass suspension ever."

That was the end result of two brawls that erupted at Comiskey Park, one in the seventh inning, the other in the ninth. In the sixth, the Tigers Jeff Weaver hit Carlos Lee with a pitch. In retaliation, Chicago's starter, Jim Parque, plunked Detroit's Dean Palmer in the top of the seventh. Palmer charged the mound, throwing his helmet at Parque before the real action started.

"This wasn't just a shoving match," wrote Tom Gage in the Detroit News. "This was a nasty fight in which heavy punches were thrown and players were bloodied. White Sox reliever Keith Foulke had a facial cut that required five stitches."

In the ninth, a couple more hit batsmen inspired another round of wrasslin', kicking and fisticuffs. When it was all over, the umps had ejected 11.

Chris Osgood of the Red Wings was impressed. "It was a pretty vicious fight for a baseball game," he said. "But they stood up for themselves pretty good. It's a good way to build camaraderie."

QUOTE(Heartattack19 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)

A buddy of mine from work was there too. This is one of the top five games of all-time that I wish I was at but wasn't (that list just got a new #1 this past week).

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, ESPN'2 Page 2 lists it sixth among baseball brawls:

What I remember from that fight was that Tiger coach Juan Samuel was not a peacemaker as coaches are supposed to be ... I also remember Robert Fick getting a beer shower as he returned to the bullpen ... Juan Encarnacion was a big wad as was Karim Garcia. It was one of those two gems that sucker-punched Foulke, I believe

Phil Garner always had some sort of chip on his shoulder when it came to the White Sox. I recall that scrap he got into with Terry Bevington when he was managing the Brewers.

Edited by StatManDu

I seem to remember Karim Garcia sucker punching Parque with something in his hand, i think hawk said replays showed there was something metal in his fist. He was sent down before he couyld serve the suspension and i think had to serve it the next year when he was called up by another team. (it was 7 years ago, who knows if i am remembering this correctly!)