Dice-K

RME JICO

He just yielded 6 runs in 7 innings to the Yanks, and has now let up 11 runs in his last 19 innings pitched (+5.00 ERA). He still has a solid WHIP and K/BB ratio, but I wonder if teams will start to figure him out later this year. If that is the case, how high will his 4.00 ERA get?

So is this guy worth the money Boston paid, is he a lock for ROY, or is he just going to end up as a solid #2 pitcher? His K numbers look encouraging, but could that be to the lack of familiarity from the batters?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:38 PM)
I still think he's going to be a hell of a pitcher. I don't think he'll necessarily be an ace but I do believe that he'll be a solid number 2.
I just wonder if he will fizzle out like Nomo, once teams and hitters figure him out, he will lose his edge.

He reminds me of Nomo, both came into the league around 26 yrs old, and had something unique about their style. Nomo won ROY, peaked at his first no-hitter in his 2nd year, then had an average 3rd year, before falling off considerably thereafter, even though he did comeback and throw a 2nd no-no with Boston later on in his career.

Now even if he turns out to be a solid #2 for several years, was he worth the money Boston paid?

With an 8 pitch repertoire and good movement, I think he's da real deal. I think the biggest problem so far is the barrier between him and Varitek. Also once he gets control of his inside pitches, he might be untouchable.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 22, 2007 -> 11:49 PM)
He has way better stuff than Nomo does though too. Its way 2 early to evaluate him.

Actually, their stuff is very similar if you remember Nomo coming up in 1995. He had three seasons of over 230 K's and a fairly low WHIP with a decent K/BB ratio. All those look just like Dice-K's except Nomo had a lower ERA.

4 starts is 1/8th of the season or 12.5% for a starter. So you can start to make some initial judgments based off those numbers now. Then after another 4 starts (after #8) you will be at the first quarter of the season.

QUOTE(Dan @ Apr 23, 2007 -> 12:01 AM)
With an 8 pitch repertoire and good movement, I think he's da real deal. I think the biggest problem so far is the barrier between him and Varitek. Also once he gets control of his inside pitches, he might be untouchable.

I just keep seeing mixed reviews. Comments like this:

Overall, Matsuzaka does not have one great pitch, but what makes him amazing is the combination of good pitches all of which he can throw for strikes.

I think he can be a good pitcher, but something keeps telling me that he will do worse than most people are expecting.

what moron said "Overall, Matsuzaka does not have one great pitch, but what makes him amazing is the combination of good pitches all of which he can throw for strikes. "

I've seen him pitch twice now, and I think he's going to be a very good pitcher. However, he had as much hype as any pitcher since Prior, so every one of his starts are going to be examined to nauseum. I thought it was a little much with the people picking him as the Cy Young winner this year.

The start against the Yankees showed me a lot, he started off rough and really settled down and gave his team a chance to win the game.