White Sox vs. Royals, 4/24/07 (W)

knightni

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:28 PM)
He went to KC as a backup 1B/DH, took a platoon spot in LF because of his play, and has played more than Brown (who had the starting job in hand before Gload arrived). He earned the job, and the KC manager had the sense to play the better player.

I'm glad we have Sisco, but its a shame that we ended up with Pods starting in LF when there were multiple better options on the team.

To be fair, that could've been a KW/Ozzie decision. Gload's arm is terrible, or was, something I can recall even fathom pointing out as a significant negative last year. Poor jumps and reads, too, in the field.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:27 AM)
How do you know how Gload is going to be?

No one knows....that's why he should have been given the chance last year when everyone else in the LF/leadoff position sucked. We had nothing to lose at the point when Pods bottomed out, but unfortunately we didn't give him an extended chance to prove he could do it. Seriously, I could have sworn this was something we discussed a million times last year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
To be fair, that could've been a KW/Ozzie decision. Gload's arm is terrible, or was, something I can recall even fathom pointing out as a significant negative last year. Poor jumps and reads, too, in the field.

Definitely could have been KW too, don't know. But Ross' arm was better than Pods even just after his return from shoulder surgery. Looks even better now.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)
Easy, he is a career bench player that cant even start on the royals.

Mackowiak didn't always start for a Pirates team that had less talent than this Royals team.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:29 AM)
We should rock this pitcher. He kind of sucks. I know that Hawk is about to annoint him Cy Young in about an inning.

His fastball is straight as an arrow. His curve is okay, but not that good. And his slider doesnt break that much.

It's too bad wind is blowing in. If not, I'd expect 3 or 4 homers by Sox tonight.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, Gload has hit .300+ in both seasons where he had any significant AB's, and was strong on both sides of the L/R split. That should give you an idea.

Actually it doesn't. 156 and and 234 At-bats are only a significant amount to a career bench player.

Defensively speaking I would rather have Mack in CF than Ross in LF or RF. Podsednik currently has better numbers than Ross right now anyways.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:31 PM)
Mackowiak didn't always start for a Pirates team that had less talent than this Royals team.

It's too bad wind is blowing in. If not, I'd expect 3 or 4 homers by Sox tonight.

The wind is blowing left to right. Its not blowing in. Hence the ball that bounced off the bottom of the wall last inning.

We need to hit line drives tonight. We can put up an 8 spot on this junk. Well if Uribe can stop swinging at stuff at his melon.

Ok, so way to compare two bench players, one who plays defense and one who doesnt. Congrats on your non-point.

Seriously, come up with something that Ross Gload did that was better than getting traded? He is a 31 year old career bench player.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:32 AM)
Actually it doesn't. 156 and and 234 At-bats are only a significant amount to a career bench player.

Defensively speaking I would rather have Mack in CF than Ross in LF or RF. Podsednik currently has better numbers than Ross right now anyways.

I simply have no faith in Pods to stay healthy. BTW Rock, why do you think he's going to need surgery?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Easy, he is a career bench player that cant even start on the royals.

Who has succeeded big time whenever he's been given consistent AB's, and who took a starter's job away in KC.

Ross not having a real shot in LF is just another chapter of the whole LF/CF clusterf*** that Ozzie (and maybe KW) have fostered.

And on that, I'll stop the derailment.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 02:33 AM)
Ok, so way to compare two bench players, one who plays defense and one who doesnt. Congrats on your non-point.

Seriously, come up with something that Ross Gload did that was better than getting traded? He is a 31 year old career bench player.

Gload's the type of line drive hitter that could help balance out some of the home run hitters we've had. The funny thing is that I'm nowhere near Gload's biggest fan. All I'm saying is that I thought he should have received more of a shot last year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I simply have no faith in Pods to stay healthy. BTW Rock, why do you think he's going to need surgery?

I don't either, and I'm not trying to say keeping Pods was the right move, but I don't think anybody should bash Podsednik offensively this year if he has better numbers than Gload.

Gload is worse than Pods in LF or Mack in CF!!! Didn't anyone see the first inning?

Thanks for the grand salami against Ray and Orioles last year Ross, but a lefty who throws 95 MPH and might have a future as a starter has a lot more value than a utility 1B/DH/LF.

ONCE again, Anderson blown away with the huge swing against a guy throwing 89-91 MPH.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Gload's the type of line drive hitter that could help balance out some of the home run hitters we've had. The funny thing is that I'm nowhere near Gload's biggest fan. All I'm saying is that I thought he should have received more of a shot last year.

Well our system could work on developing more line drive swings, but it would go against the whole lift and pull approach fostered by the entire system.