Torii Hunter should be getting a 3 YEAR suspension

southsider2k5

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)
who cares... I could see if it was almost like bribes for beating up on such team, to give them more motivation or something, but this was probably a cheap bottle of champagne all out of jest. This shouldn't even be an issue.

According to Hunter on the Dan Patrick show, he spent at least $500 on it.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
I agree that it should be enforced in some manner, but not the 3 years. That would be ridiculous. Come on Kalapse a Ferrari vs some bubbly? You can come up with a better example than that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Give back the champagne, fine Hunter and give the fine to a charity. Make the fine large enough to be significant (not 5k), so that the message gets across. Maybe, at worst, suspend him one game to really nail the point home. But anything more than that would be a real shame, I think.

The spirit of the rule seems clear - no team/person should be interfering with play between two other teams. The reward was not on the table prior, so it wasn't going to effect the Royals' play anyway. And does anyone actually think it will effect the Royals' play in the future either?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
Hunter didn't intentionally break a rule. It really would be absurd if he was punished in any way.

Ignorance of a rule/law is no excuse for breaking it. There is cause for leniency here, but I would like to see something, if nothing else a small fine, handed out. Either that or just get rid of the rule.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
The MLB should get in trouble for handing out the World Series trophy, the Cy Young, and the MVP if Torii gets suspended for sending champagne.

Kalapse you can not be serious, stop messing around.

What specific MLB club is MLB connected with?

Look at the specific rule itself

Namely, rule 21-b, which proclaims "Any player or person connected with a Club who shall offer or give any gift or reward to a player or person connected with another Club for services rendered ... in defeating or attempting to defeat a competing Club ... shall be declared ineligible for not less than three years."

Again I ask, what MLB club is MLB connected with?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Look at the specific rule itself

Again I ask, what MLB club is MLB connected with?

Well, technically all of them in some fashion...currently most specifically the Brewers. But it's a stretch either way.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
All of them, obviously.

no, MLB is an entity, and they are not members of any organization at all. That's what the rule suggests. You are flat out misinterpreting their words.

Besides that, the Cy Young, MVP, and World Series awards merely signify that they've won; they are not gifts, but rather rewards. It's not a gift if MLB has to give it to them by rule.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)
no, MLB is an entity, and they are not members of any organization at all. That's what the rule suggests. You are flat out misinterpreting their words.

Besides that, the Cy Young, MVP, and World Series awards merely signify that they've won; they are not gifts, but rather rewards. It's not a gift if MLB has to give it to them by rule.

Are you sure your not the one misinterpreting it. And anyways, does it really matter. If you read the rule you obviously know what its supposed to mean.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 26, 2007 -> 03:23 AM)
It's not one team/player offering a reward or gift to another team/player. It's the league itself offering a reward or gift to a team/player.

That should clarify what is meant by the rule and what I was trying to say.

Who cares about all this? Stop being so defensive, it doesn't matter.

I'm not certain how to write the rule to eliminate the obvious stuff that is wrong from the minor that clearly would not have an effect on the game. Do we think that for a moment a team would play harder if they knew four bottles of Champagne were up for grabs? How many bottles were showered on the Sox in 2005?

If this was Mark Buerhle getting fined and/or suspended we'd be up in arms like you wouldn't believe.