DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
That depends on how strong Mrs. Bill Clinton comes out of the gates. If she's "popular" they all will endorse her, and if Obama is "popular", he will get the endorsements. Everyone likes a "winner."

The only endorsements I really care about right now are any that are offered pre-Iowa.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
I'm really curious to know the answer to this question...if Obama makes it to the general, will he be able to do the same sort of "all negative ads and statements against me are dirty, underhanded tricks by my opponents" that seems to keep working to turn every attack on him into a ding in Hillary's armor.

He could call it "A Vast Right Wing Conspiracy"

Yeah, I went there. The Clintons got away with this for eight years, so it is possible, if not probable, especially with Hillary's negatives. Because of the administration they had, people tend to believe this about them, versus Obama crying Wolf.

Snatched from a blog:

Let's see them attack the Foreign Policy Cred of Reagan's Secretary of the Navy. Webb graduated from the Naval Academy in l968, receiving the Superintendent's Commendation for outstanding leadership contributions while a midshipman, and subsequently chose a commission in the Marine Corps. First in his class of 243 at the Marine Corps Officers' Basic School in Quantico, Virginia, Webb served with the Fifth Marine Regiment in Vietnam, where as a rifle platoon and company commander in the infamous An Hoa Basin west of Danang he was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star Medal, two Bronze Star Medals, and two Purple Hearts. He later served as a platoon commander and as an instructor in tactics and weapons at Marine Corps Officer Candidates School, and then as a member of the Secretary of the Navy's immediate staff.

Senator Jim Webb Webb received his J.D. at Georgetown University Law Center in 1975. He served in the U.S. Congress as counsel to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs from 1977 to 1981. In 1982, he first proposed, then led the fight for, including an African American soldier in the memorial statue that now graces the Vietnam Veterans Memorial on the National Mall. In 1984, he was appointed the inaugural Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs. In 1987, he became the first Naval Academy graduate in history to serve in the military and then become Secretary of the Navy.

In addition to Webb's public service, he enjoyed a long career as a writer. He taught literature at the Naval Academy as their first visiting writer, has traveled worldwide as a journalist, and earned an Emmy Award from the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for his PBS coverage of the U.S. Marines in Beirut. In 2004, Webb went into Afghanistan as a journalist, embedded with the U.S. military.

He speaks Vietnamese and has done extensive pro bono work with the Vietnamese community dating from the late l970's. Senator Jim Webb Jim Webb now serves as the junior Senator from Virginia.

He is also an original co-sponsor of bills pertaining to stronger ethics rules, prescription drug pricing negotiations, the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission, stem cell research, energy/global warming, college affordability and rebuilding the military.

Webb serves on the Committee on Foreign Relations, Committee on Armed Services, Committee on Veterans Affairs, and the Joint Economic Committee.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 08:55 AM)
Either 1) Billy was told he's not a Veep candidate anymore, or 2) Billy is drawing attention to Hillarity to show she's gone to the left again, or both.

I dont think he ever was a VP candidate with Clinton. She wants a close friend or fellow clintonian. Basically, a "yes man".

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:10 PM)
I dont think he ever was a VP candidate with Clinton. She wants a close friend or fellow clintonian. Basically, a "yes man".

Do you know the history of Billy and the Clintons? He is a Clintonian.

I think Webb would be a great veep for any of the dems given his qualifications, geography, etc. If Obama can upset Hillary for the nomination, I would love to see him pick Hagel. Though it would never happen, an Obama-Hagel v. McCain-Lieberman would be a solid matchup. I disagree with all of them on a few issues, but they would make their campaign about issues, not throw crap around.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:10 AM)

Yeah, he already is a Clintonian. But I wouldn't go so far as calling him a "yes man", and he may actually not like Hillary as much as Bill.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)
I think Webb would be a great veep for any of the dems given his qualifications, geography, etc. If Obama can upset Hillary for the nomination, I would love to see him pick Hagel. Though it would never happen, an Obama-Hagel v. McCain-Lieberman would be a solid matchup. I disagree with all of them on a few issues, but they would make their campaign about issues, not throw crap around.

that would be a wild matchup... a democrat and a republican (who acts like a democrat) vs a republican and a independent/democrat (who acts like a republican)

Barack Obama, last night in Portsmouth, N.H., advised a guy wearing a Santa hat to go to his Web site to learn more about his plan to combat global warming. And then he said this:

"I talk to Al Gore about every three weeks, and we're going to make sure that your home at the North Pole is still available to you," Obama said, reports NBC/NJ's Erin McPike.

Hotlineblog.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
Well, Richardson is quickly talking himself out of the Clinton administration...

LINK

Well, Bayh is Clinton's VP pick anyway - I'd bet on it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson had been expecting, as a backup plan, to be Hillary's SecState. Maybe he now knows that won't happen.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Well, Bayh is Clinton's VP pick anyway - I'd bet on it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if Richardson had been expecting, as a backup plan, to be Hillary's SecState. Maybe he now knows that won't happen.

Like I said, Billy was told he wasn't getting in on Hillarity's pie... so all of a sudden, the "attacks" start. Of course, this might make her administration "tougher" because there aren't "yes men"... rolly.gif

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 24, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
So, I'm planning to caucus. Any other caucusers here?

Wish I could. Try your best to get the ISU students out to the polls - I'd rather see some future-oriented thinking than the same old stuff from the old folks like me. Get out the vote, Heads!

Looks like the Clinton campaign isnt very positive right now...

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1207/7518.html

Orders have come from the top of the campaign here that nobody is to predict that Hillary Clinton will win Iowa.

That may be part of the “expectations” game that all campaigns play.

Or it may be because the campaign no longer is really sure that Clinton will win.