DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
The simple answer is...a lot of them served in various locations, i.e. Congress, during the Clinton years. Which means they all probably owe the Clintons a lot of favors.

Or what? If Hillary loses the nomination, what power and sway do they have? They'll be pushed aside for the "new guard" brought in by younger, more energetic politicians like Obama and they know it.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 10:10 AM)
Or what? If Hillary loses the nomination, what power and sway do they have? They'll be pushed aside for the "new guard" brought in by younger, more energetic politicians like Obama and they know it.

Which is why they may well do whatever it takes to make sure Hillary keeps the nomination. Neither side will be able to wrap this up without Superdelegates. The numbers just aren't there. If Obama won every state from here on out, but Hillary still pulled in 40-45%, he still wouldn't have enough delegates to get the nomination without the supers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Because you're embarrassing anyone else who votes for someone other than Hillary enough to make them want to vote for Hillary to spite you and all the other people who think like that. It's the same effect you get if someone comes out and says we shouldn't vote for that uppity n*gro. I have no urge to be affiliated with people like that, and I will happily use my vote to shut them up.

hahaha. ok. Her voice is worse than Dubya's that's all I was going for. The fact that I think she sounds like a 60 year old cocktail waitress after a double shift shouldn't have anything to do with who people vote for.

My "lesbo" remark was a cheap laugh. take it or leave it. If you found it offensive hopefully my dig on 60 year old cocktail waitresses will distract you long enough. Unless I'm not allowed to make fun of them either.

alrighty then.

It's probably too early to worry about the Supers, but since everyone else is, here's my $0.02.

I assume (perhaps naively) that the majority of Supers are not a pack of fools. If Obama has a considerable lead of pledged delegates after things wash out, they will have to break for him. If Clinton has a considerable lead, they'll have to break for her.

To me, this will be a test of the leadership of Howard Dean. If the delegate scenario plays out in favor of Obama, it will be Dean's job to convince Clinton to bow out gracefully. That will be the toughest thing Dean's ever done, more than likely, but it has to be done for the good of the party. If Obama has that considerable lead in pledged delegates and Clinton still takes the fight all the way to Denver and wins, then McCain will likely win in November, and Dean will be out of a job.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
It's probably too early to worry about the Supers, but since everyone else is, here's my $0.02.

I assume (perhaps naively) that the majority of Supers are not a pack of fools. If Obama has a considerable lead of pledged delegates after things wash out, they will have to break for him. If Clinton has a considerable lead, they'll have to break for her.

To me, this will be a test of the leadership of Howard Dean. If the delegate scenario plays out in favor of Obama, it will be Dean's job to convince Clinton to bow out gracefully. That will be the toughest thing Dean's ever done, more than likely, but it has to be done for the good of the party. If Obama has that considerable lead in pledged delegates and Clinton still takes the fight all the way to Denver and wins, then McCain will likely win in November, and Dean will be out of a job.

excellent analysis

Clinton Campaign - The only "significant" state Obama won is Illinois

“Could we possibly have a nominee who hasn't won any of the significant states -- outside of Illinois?” Chief Strategist Mark Penn said. “That raises some serious questions about Sen. Obama.”

So.... now we know where Clinton REALLY stands. She only cares about the big important states. All those "minor" states like Colorado, Minnesota, Washington, Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, and Georgia are.. well, just states that just simply dont matter. Their people are not "significant" contributers to this country.

So, the people of the US Mint, Target, Best Buy, Microsoft, all the federal workers based around DC, the residents of the states where 5 of our first 7 presidents came from, oh and the home of Coke, CNN, and the weather channel. Yea, those states dont matter.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

It is like minor league baseball who as the most upside for the party. Hillary may be safe but can she beat McCain while Obama could energize the party and be as someone pointed out earleir the Democratic Reagan. The Republicans have served 20 of the last 28 years because of him IMHO. If the Clinton's were all that this would not be a race.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Maybe some day, people out there will realize that the best way to keep Hillary Clinton in office and to help her advance is to keep making remarks exactly like this one.

Her winning the Democratic nomination is a good thing in my mind. The Repubs won't be able to after Obama the way they will Clinton. I think McCain wins pretty easily against Hillary. Obama, I do not see him beating.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
Her winning the Democratic nomination is a good thing in my mind. The Repubs won't be able to after Obama the way they will Clinton. I think McCain wins pretty easily against Hillary. Obama, I do not see him beating.

That pretty much sums it up. I guess I should be voting for HIllary here in Texas :D

After 2000, its already an embarassment to the Dems to have this in the media as a chance that the Clinton's could steal this nomination dispite the will of the people.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
A party picking their candidate is quite different than the presidential election.

Dispite all of the critisisms of the Electoral College, the process is completely transparent. If you win a state, you get its delegates. The Democratic Primaries, just because you win a state, doesn't mean you get a majority of delegates, and the superdelegates can do whatever the hell they want to. It is quite different, you are right.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Dispite all of the critisisms of the Electoral College, the process is completely transparent. If you win a state, you get its delegates. The Democratic Primaries, just because you win a state, doesn't mean you get a majority of delegates, and the superdelegates can do whatever the hell they want to. It is quite different, you are right.

It is making the electoral college look better. But honestly, I'm hoping for a floor fight, a 10 rounded. Lots of speeches and ballots.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
It is making the electoral college look better. But honestly, I'm hoping for a floor fight, a 10 rounded. Lots of speeches and ballots.

I think based on current rules you really need 3 viable candidates for that to happen. If there's only 2, then 1 of them is bound to get 50%+1 on the first ballot. Unless some people don't vote.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)

I should add to tall this that I think i heard a few nights ago that they can vote to NOT count superdelegates at the convention. So, theoretically, if Obama has a significant enough lead and Hillary is trying to steal it, they could vote the Supers to not count.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
I think based on current rules you really need 3 viable candidates for that to happen. If there's only 2, then 1 of them is bound to get 50%+1 on the first ballot. Unless some people don't vote.

Aren't they bound to their candidates wishes on the first ballot?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 14, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
I should add to tall this that I think i heard a few nights ago that they can vote to NOT count superdelegates at the convention. So, theoretically, if Obama has a significant enough lead and Hillary is trying to steal it, they could vote the Supers to not count.

They could also vote for FL and MI to count for Hillary. There is no real process to ensure fairness in this at all.